Question on protecting others while using transdermal

A

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I guess the title really says it all, I like the idea of transdermals a lot but is there anything special you guys that take them do to prevent accidental contact with your spouse/children and the application site? Also, does anyone know if contact would be safe after the transdermal has dried or are you "hot" for a few hours/days?

solidsnake

solidsnake

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Inner thighs is a good spot, not many people will be visiting that area

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’ve always heard once it’s dry you’re in the clear for contact.

My gf is a pro strongwoman though and I don’t have kids so it’s not really a concern either for me

If I had a baby I’d be seeking a professional to confirm

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Inner thighs is a good spot, not many people will be visiting that area
Lol, unless it’s td trest in which case you’ll be pestering the missus night and day to get down there.....

Op, personally I have two young kids so I wait until after they’ve left for school in the morning to apply and after they are asleep in bed in the evening. I live in the uk so always have a top on (been applying mainly round clavicle and shoulders).

No idea about the transfer time periods but playing it safe....

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I just always make sure to put a t shirt on after it dries..

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lol, unless it’s td trest in which case you’ll be pestering the missus night and day to get down there.....

Op, personally I have two young kids so I wait until after they’ve left for school in the morning to apply and after they are asleep in bed in the evening. I live in the uk so always have a top on (been applying mainly round clavicle and shoulders).

No idea about the transfer time periods but playing it safe....
Same for me I just apply it around times that it won't be fresh when I'm around my kids. Also I mainly apply it to my chest/shoulders so once I put a shirt on it really doesn't matter. If I absolutely have to put it on when my kids are around I will use the inner thighs.

A

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks everyone! Inner thighs makes sense, even during "activities" I can't imagine my inner thighs being touched too much.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My own research on this awhile back lead me to believe the risk of transfer is tiny, given 2 basic things.

The first has already been discussed (good application practices). Using areas where transfer is unlikely but without also jeopardising efficacy for yourself, is a good start. Just being mindful and not reckless, really.

Secondly, even if transfer should occur, the risk of uptake is remote. Theres a few factors which lead to this conclusion.

Transdermal delivery is notorious for its relatively low penetration. Suppose we are generous and grant that, for any single application, with the very best delivery system ("carrier"), 50% of the applied active makes it through the skin layers and into the blood.

Keep in mind that our skin serves as a protective barrier.

Lets be further generous and say that, any active which didnt get through the skin and into the blood is still sitting on the surface of your skin. So, 50% of the initial dose.

That 50% sitting on your skin is not getting through your skin without any further chemical help. Remember, the initial carrier has now evaporated and itself dispersed. Youd have to add further applications of DMSO/hand-sanitiser/etc to try and elicit further absorption.

Essentially, for simplicity sake, you have "raw" active powder residue on your skin. If some of this residue was to make it onto the skin of someone else, what would the likelihood be of that residue, with no carrier, getting through their protective skin layers?

One study suggests "zilch". Logic suggests zilch. Imagine rubbing 50mg of steroid raw across your forearm with your finger. If a company sold you powder and presented this application technique what would you think?

Given the dermal related facts, and the good application practices already discussed, transfer and uptake risks are tiny.

Kratom267

Kratom267

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Curious about this as well...
My wife is pregnant and I am fixing to start a cycle with Dermacrine added in. I see some people say that if your worried about any transfer, to simply rub it on the inner thigh area. But on the directions it says to apply on areas with no hair...I have some hairy legs, and would hate to shave like a road cyclist!
Hoping that i can apply on the upper back/shoulders, wait till dry, then throw on a tshirt (as usual). Anyone used Dermacrine while your lady is expecting?

Kratom267

Kratom267

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lol I dont know why I bother...
Sorry man, i hadn't refreshed my page, didn't see your post yet!
Your post was most informative, thanks.

*Haha neg'd me for that! Hope you feel better.

Reactions: Nac
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Curious about this as well...
My wife is pregnant and I am fixing to start a cycle with Dermacrine added in. I see some people say that if your worried about any transfer, to simply rub it on the inner thigh area. But on the directions it says to apply on areas with no hair...I have some hairy legs, and would hate to shave like a road cyclist!
Hoping that i can apply on the upper back/shoulders, wait till dry, then throw on a tshirt (as usual). Anyone used Dermacrine while your lady is expecting?
On the topic of good application sites for fat or hairy guys, tops of your feet have very thin skin. Usually not too hairy and easy to shave if you need a spot.

If you’re fat there, you need a diet coach more than you need steroids! Lol

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Feet are a stellar application site when transmission is a potential issue... easy to cover with socks anytime and who touches feet?

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
^yip.

Id also add, if you want to be really cautious, have a shower 15+mins post-application. This will have no negative impact on your own uptake and results.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Feet are a stellar application site when transmission is a potential issue... easy to cover with socks anytime and who touches feet?
I know some people..... have ‘a friend’ who likes weird kinky **** #justsaying

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That 50% sitting on your skin is not getting through your skin without any further chemical help. Remember, the initial carrier has now evaporated and itself dispersed. Youd have to add further applications of DMSO/hand-sanitiser/etc to try and elicit further absorption.
I've see this before. I've read that people should either use lotion of hand sanitizer to increase the effects. How long after initial application does one wait for before applying hand sanitizer or lotion?

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've see this before. I've read that people should either use lotion of hand sanitizer to increase the effects. How long after initial application does one wait for before applying hand sanitizer or lotion?
Crudely speaking, once the initial application has dried off. This can be as little as 2 or 3 minutes.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Crudely speaking, once the initial application has dried off. This can be as little as 2 or 3 minutes.
Really, it almost seems like it would interfere. Do you know if there is a specific type of lotion or sanitizer? For example, would Purell with aloe work better or worse?

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Really, it almost seems like it would interfere.
Why do you feel that? Genuine question.

Off the top of my head, the only general scenario where I think this approach may be unfavourable is if you are using an initial product that isnt intended to make it into systemic circulation but kept local in its effects; applying something like isopropyl alcohol as a secondary agent would potentially interfere by compromising the local goal.

Think here of Evomuses fat loss topicals. Steronz, though, we generally do want in systemic circulation.

Do you know if there is a specific type of lotion or sanitizer? For example, would Purell with aloe work better or worse?
The key is something that contains isopropyl alcohol as the main ingredient. To be of practical use you want something that will evaporate, disperse and dry quickly.

To be clear, this secondary agent will tend not to be as effective as the primary product carrier (its unlikely by using it you will drive all remaining active through the skin) but from a cheap and easy perspective it can only help.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Did a little research but didn’t find anything on this: Using transdermals deposits the compound into clothing. Washing your clothes with contaminated clothing then contaminates the entire load. In addition, the compound is also present on the drum of the washer contaminating subsequent loads. Thoughts? Research?

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Did a little research but didn’t find anything on this: Using transdermals deposits the compound into clothing. Washing your clothes with contaminated clothing then contaminates the entire load. In addition, the compound is also present on the drum of the washer contaminating subsequent loads. Thoughts? Research?
Would love to hear more on this as a td trest cycle is soon to be. Quite concerning.

A

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you wanted to be really sure not to get it on clothing, I bet one of those big square adhesive bandages over the application site would pretty much take care of it. I mean, it would get annoying but if it's deal with an annoyance or put the whole family on trest . . .

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Theres a greater chance of a piano falling on your head.

If contamination via washing machines genuinely concerns you, Id recommend you dont use TDs. And not because your concerns are remotely likely.

Theres no study looking at this scenario because its ridiculous.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’ve used transdermals and nobody in my household ever got jacked or sick. We’re talking about a micro level of exposure that would require it to get on an area and then sanitizer or IPA or DMSO getting over the area, also assuming the area had a great enough concentration of compound to be remotely effective.

This is tantamount to once in a blue moon eating an unwashed tomato or apple. One time. Because, again, not only does it need to be on the skin, in sufficient concentration, but it needs to have solvent rubbed over the area.

There’s more chance of smelling a fart in a windstorm than being exposed at ANY level even once, to say nothing of dosage requirements.

A

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Theres a greater chance of a piano falling on your head.

If contamination via washing machines genuinely concerns you, Id recommend you dont use TDs. And not because your concerns are remotely likely.

Theres no study looking at this scenario because its ridiculous.
That's what I would imagine because most of it would be into your body and as others have said, the small amount left over would have no carrier and even if it was in your clothes, the water gets drained out of a washing machine so there wouldn't be a measurable amount left. But the way I see it, it's never a bad thing to eliminate risk so why not apply the TD in an obscure area of your body and cover it up? It's not going to hurt anybody to be too careful.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
^ thats absolutely right.

Guys, Ill say it again:

If you want to be ultra careful, SHOWER 15mins POST APPLICATION. All residue will be removed. None will get on clothes. AND YOUR OWN UPTAKE WILL NOT BE IMPACTED.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
There’s more chance of smelling a fart in a windstorm than being exposed at ANY level even once, to say nothing of dosage requirements.
Before anyone else brings it up: there was ONE "case study" done involving contamination of a child, who experienced virilising effects.

But, the "study" was retrospective. I couldnt find any info describing what techniques the father was using where contamination and uptake were so easily done. It is extremely unlikely he was using the safe, basic dosing techniques we see discussed here on the forums.

For all we know he put dollops on himself with his hands, and then would immediately "handle" his child. Who knows.

What really put the nail in the coffin of that study, for me, was a subsequent one, an actual controlled study, partly motivated by the contamination case. The gist of that study is mentioned previously.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the information. I found this study:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/291389213_Amount_of_Testosterone_on_Laundered_Clothing_After_Use_of_Testosterone_Topical_2_Solution_by_Healthy_Male_Volunteers/amp

Conclusion: Thirteen percent of the testosterone applied to axillae was transferred to T-shirts during wear. Ninety-seven percent of the transferred testosterone was removed from the T-shirts during washing, some of which was then absorbed to various degrees by other textiles. Clinical implications of these findings and biological activity of the remaining/transferred testosterone are unknown.

A

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I dig it! Thanks for linking the study. Here's how I see it though, 97 percent of 13 percent of the effective dose spread amongst an entire load of laundry is going to be a very minimal amount on any one piece of clothing. And even at that, the amount of the clothing that gets absorbed into the person wearing it is an even smaller amount than that. So to be way too sure that no one gets an accidental dose, I think my regimine would be: apply the TD 30 minutes before showering, wait for it to dry, go over it with hand sanitizer, wait for that to dry, then shower and to go over the top with it, bandage the application site to put a barrier between any amount of active ingredients and the clothes, then wash my own clothes separately from other people's clothes. It's a lot of steps, and far too cautious, but still cheap (Band-Aids and hand sanitizer are dirt cheap, and I assume I am going to shower anyway) and once you get in a routine, you probably won't even notice the hassle. Thanks again for all the info everyone!

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Interesting.

Pharma TD products have 15% absorption rate at best. If you apply 30mg active, 4.5mg will be absorbed.

If approx 4.5mg is transferred via washing as per this study, and assuming 100% of that gets off the contaminated fabric and onto someones skin, 0.5mcg (half a miligram) is all that will be absorbed.

Or not, because that active has no carrier chemicals to help drive it through all the skin layers anyway.

As per studies, 10mins-post-application-transfer fails to result in any significant plasma level changes for the contaminee.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, interesting. I actually have been trying to seriously research this as I’m trying to have science based facts to present to men thinking of using transdermal testosterone. We know that skin to skin contact transference is proven, but don’t know about washing contaminated clothing with the family load.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes, interesting. I actually have been trying to seriously research this as I’m trying to have science based facts to present to men thinking of using transdermal testosterone. We know that skin to skin contact transference is proven, but don’t know about washing contaminated clothing with the family load.
Ah right. Sorry my dismissive response before was condescending. Ill post the transfer study here that Ive been referring to. My logic is, if uptake is zero in the most likely and favourable scenario for it to occur (10mins post app), it will be even less likely in any other scenario.

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Transfer study:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/11341409_Interpersonal_testosterone_transfer_after_topical_application_of_a_newly_developed_testosterone_gel_preparation?enrich****rgreq-cf5b192c8f683dafe31846932169d73d-XXX=&enrich********Y292ZXJQYWdlOzI2NDg0ODcyMTtBUzoxNTIwMDc3MjE2MjM1NTJAMTQxMzI1Mjg3MzcwNw==

Application of 5 g/d of a 2.5% hydroalcoholic gel increased serum
levels of testosterone to the normal range in 14 gonadotropin-suppressed normal
men (Rolf et al. 2002a). Washing of the skin after 10 min. did not influence the
pharmacokinetic profile. No interpersonal testosterone transfer could be detected
after evaporation of the alcohol vehicle of this testosterone gel
(Rolf et al. 2002b).

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Even if it gets in the laundry (the small amount being suggested) it would still need a carrier like dmso, alcohol etc to get into the system.

If your careful I don't see it at all as an issue. Obviously you have to use common sense. I have a 19 month old son and I use a td. I don't feel I'm putting him at risk and it's not because ignorant is bliss.