Pure Fat Loss Versus Body Recomp? Any Way to Have Structured Debate, Discussion?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

For about 95% of the population, and even the bodybuilding crowd, we could all stand to lose excess bodyfat.

Even competitive bodybuilders want that last 1% of bodyfat to go down.

However, the real question is "is it worth all the sacrifice"?

I know many people have traditionally focused on the "bulk up off season, cut up in season" mentality. Yet, I can see it go very wrong in terms of too much bodyfat gain, and or too much energy, strength, and muscle loss.

For a pure fat loss book, I can see Lyle McDonald "Rapid Fat Loss" handbook, Tom Venuto "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" and many others are good.

On the other hand, books like "The Holy Grail" show that body recomp can be more satisfying.

Can anyone give a well-thought-out opinion on which is better?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Are you looking for discussion and opinions on the various books, or the actual idea of a recomp vs a cut?

I feel like recomposition applies more to the general populace which is not currently in the gym and may not even have an athletic background. Those new lifters which have the most 'newbie' gains to be made in a short period of time. You can be 30lbs over weight (or more or less) with zero lifting... then lift for 6 months and look 100% better even if you are still 30lbs overweight. that recomp is going to be pretty satisfying with your clothes on.

It's less frequent, I believe, that you see experienced athletes and lifters truly opt for a recomp, it's usually just a cut or bulk or strength program. I am however, currently in this recomp category. While I 100% agree with you on how bulking season is abused and tends to go too far, I have guidelines that I set for myself. I have been as low as 168lbs and as high as 242. Generally, I set my limit at 190. If I hit it, I cut.

I spent this past winter just strength training. Not really bulking, but 100% of my lifting was 531 style focused and I did like the recomp and the way my shirts fit etc. However, it affected my golf game, in my opinion. So another reason why I opted to switch gears and focus on a cut is that I wanted to lean out even at the sacrifice of some muscular size to make me more nimble and flexible on the golf course.