PSA - Brown Rice Macros

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Hey, if people can post steroid threads here... :D

Dumb A$$ moment of 2017 so far - just found out I've been eating an extra 400kcals per day for the last...month? So instead of a cautious bulk at 3300, it's been 3700. I was wondering why the last notch on my Inzer Belt felt tighter. Lifts have been on fire though :D

Great Value Long Grain Brown Rice: 1/4 Cup Dry = 2/3 Cup Cooked.

That is all.

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
so help me understand what you did wrong..?

something to do with the calories of the dry weight vs the cooked weight..?

Bmac63095

Bmac63095

Awards
Brown rice vs white rice for adding weight?

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established

Guessing he was counting the calories from 1/4 cup as opposed to 2/3 of a cup in his macros.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey, if people can post steroid threads here... :D

Dumb A$$ moment of 2017 so far - just found out I've been eating an extra 240kcals per day for the last...month? So instead of a cautious bulk at 3300, it's been 3540. I was wondering why the last notch on my Inzer Belt felt tighter. Lifts have been on fire though :D

Great Value Long Grain Brown Rice: 1/4 Cup Dry = 2/3 Cup Cooked.

That is all.
Damn. I thought i could trust you....hahaha. Just joking.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards

Current maintenance is around 3200kcals for me. I've been adding 100kcals every 3-4 weeks and monitoring body comp. I went to 3300 to start adding some weight (as a former fatty, I'm wicked paranoid about going too much, too fast - I have the time to go slow).

I switched to Brown Rice after determining Oatmeal was wreaking havoc on my digestive system - major gas. So pre and post workout is Brown Rice, Milk, Casein/Whey (Cinnabun) with Bananna and Blueberries.

I looked up online in a few places, how much 1/4 cup dry makes - and got the answer: 1 Cup cooked. So I started eating 2 1/2 cups cooked x 2, thinking it was 400kcals each, or 800 total.

Well, since it is actually 160kcals = 2/3 cup cooked, I ended up eating an extra 200kcals each time - so 3700kcals/Day!