Protein shakes as a primary source for calories?

Exian

Exian

Awards
For a bulking diet with or without prohormones, its hard to find the time to cook/eat as much as i'd like to - especially with my job. I don't get a long lunch and being in the medical field i take lunch when i can get it, so sometimes i'm starving all day and working in a high stress ICU. If i usually drink 2-3 protein shakes a day. one for breakfast, and one to two post-workout. The rest of my calories come from food but lately i'm having trouble finding the time to make enough food, or eat it... If i were to increase the amount of protein shakes i drank per day to 4+ would that be a good nutritional source if i substitute it for meals/snacks during the day? they are very quick and easy to drink, and i can pound them in a second in the hospital which makes them very convenient, expensive though. Would drinking too many protein shakes a day have negative effects if it is substituted for snacks/meals here and there? are they a good primary source of calories/protein?

holysnikey

Awards
Its definitely not a true substitute to real food but its better than eating no food. I'd switch to a weight gainer though like Serious Mass or CytoGainer. The only negative is it may wreak havoc on your digestive track possibly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Exian

Exian

Awards
I was thinking about trying a weight gainer but im nervous it may make me put on fat. I've been taking protein blends for about two years straight and i've def seen results, they are just slow haha. Maybe i should try one though because sometimes i starve at work and a lot of the time the only options for food are highcalorie junk foods...

broda

broda

Awards
  • Established
Weight gainers won't make you gain weight unless if you're in a caloric surplus anyway. With how much it seems like you eat in a day you wouldn't have to worry about that a whole lot.

uvawahoowa

Awards
I was thinking about trying a weight gainer but im nervous it may make me put on fat. I've been taking protein blends for about two years straight and i've def seen results, they are just slow haha. Maybe i should try one though because sometimes i starve at work and a lot of the time the only options for food are highcalorie junk foods...
Just add oats and/or nuts/nut butter to your protein blend. Problem solved.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What type of oats would you recommend?
Grind up some old fashioned oats and throw them in your shake. I grind up a bunch with a coffee grinder and store them in empty protein tubs.

uvawahoowa

Awards
What type of oats would you recommend?
Quaker old fashioned unflavored. They are pre steamed so you can eat them without cooking. If you want you can grind them up so they mix easier, but when I have shakes like that I just throw them in whole.

Exian

Exian

Awards
Quaker old fashioned unflavored. They are pre steamed so you can eat them without cooking. If you want you can grind them up so they mix easier, but when I have shakes like that I just throw them in whole.
Interesting i'll check that out. I don't have a grinder unfortunately so i'd have to just throw them in. That doesn't seem like a bad idea though.

holysnikey

Awards
Quaker makes steel milled oats too that are a little smaller.

toddgranit

toddgranit

Awards
For a bulking diet with or without prohormones, its hard to find the time to cook/eat as much as i'd like to - especially with my job. I don't get a long lunch and being in the medical field i take lunch when i can get it, so sometimes i'm starving all day and working in a high stress ICU. If i usually drink 2-3 protein shakes a day. one for breakfast, and one to two post-workout. The rest of my calories come from food but lately i'm having trouble finding the time to make enough food, or eat it... If i were to increase the amount of protein shakes i drank per day to 4+ would that be a good nutritional source if i substitute it for meals/snacks during the day? they are very quick and easy to drink, and i can pound them in a second in the hospital which makes them very convenient, expensive though. Would drinking too many protein shakes a day have negative effects if it is substituted for snacks/meals here and there? are they a good primary source of calories/protein?
This is in advisable,
You would be much better off eating whole food for the bulk of your calories, and using protein shakes to supplement your diet like they are meant too.
It just takes a little more planing and preparation. Snack on beef jerky, turkey jerky, peanuts, almonds, tuna, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs.
Good luck.
Peace

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
After work, why not make some shakes (maybe 3 or 4) that you can have during the day if you have no time to eat? Blend up some fruit, oil, PB, almonds, milk, oats etc etc etc and just drink these during the day.

You can make healthy shakes, just prepare them before hand :)

Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
I work in a job where I can't just pull up and have a whole meal food so every morning before work I throw some whey, a tablespoon of natty PB, half a cup of oats and a banana in a blender. 560 calories 38g protein 62g carbs. and 18g fats. Works wonders man. Whole foods will always be better but you have to do what you have to do!

holysnikey

Awards
You could always follow an IF type diet. That way you get more whole foods and still have a good amount of calories.

Exian

Exian

Awards
Yeah I'm going to have to start blending up some whole foods in my shakes to drink during work. Can these shakes sit for hours if I blend them in the mornings?

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lukef2000

Lukef2000

Awards
Yeah I'm going to have to start blending up some whole foods in my shakes to drink during work. Can these shakes sit for hours if I blend them in the mornings?
Mine can sit with ne for up to five hours and they're still fine... Not the best taste while they're warm but they do the trick.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bsiggy1

Bsiggy1

Awards
This is in advisable,
You would be much better off eating whole food for the bulk of your calories, and using protein shakes to supplement your diet like they are meant too.
It just takes a little more planing and preparation. Snack on beef jerky, turkey jerky, peanuts, almonds, tuna, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs.
Good luck.
Peace
THIS! I agree with what is stated here, I believe your protein shakes are great to ADD to your meal plan but NOT in replacement of meals esp. if you are trying to bulk you need whole food natural calories/protein etc. but def. snack on the above, whats easy esp on the move (almonds, peanuts, and jerky. No mess just quick and easy :)

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just cook all your food for the week on one day. Package it up and have it ready to go. It really doesn't take that long to do it. You just can't get the nutrition from protein drinks that you get from actual food. It's very unhealthy to "eat" that way. We have teeth for a reason.

Bsiggy1

Bsiggy1

Awards
Just cook all your food for the week on one day. Package it up and have it ready to go. It really doesn't take that long to do it. You just can't get the nutrition from protein drinks that you get from actual food. It's very unhealthy to "eat" that way. We have teeth for a reason.
This is a great example that I should have stated before as well! That is exactly what I do well I am very lucky and my gf actually prepares my meals 3 days out each so I always have my meals set and ready for me. but its quite nice to always have it ready esp if youre on the go! Start up the grill, toss some chicken breast, steak, veggies whatever you want and set them in contains with a fork to eat on the go :)

BraddyBoy913

Awards
no, crap! just joined today, and for the exact same reason. I'm a second shift ICU nurse and work variable shifts, actually, from 12 hours to doubles, overnights, days, both, the other, and back. Sleep is my biggest factor, but it is hard to sit and get a good whole meal, well rounded and well chewed, when you're at work. I've used Muscle Milk mixed with whey, or Amplified Mass and other mass shakes just to maintain. I just ordered a product called Russian Bear 5000, but plan on splitting up it's approx 4000 calories (with skim milk) over an entire day in five smaller milkshakes. I've been stuck on 180 for at least a year and need to shock my body somehow to get to my goal of at least 200 and hopefully 210. I do eat a decent lunch and small supper, but usually breakfast and morning snack is mass shakes/protein shakes and supplement pills.

howwedo107

howwedo107

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
no, crap! just joined today, and for the exact same reason. I'm a second shift ICU nurse and work variable shifts, actually, from 12 hours to doubles, overnights, days, both, the other, and back. Sleep is my biggest factor, but it is hard to sit and get a good whole meal, well rounded and well chewed, when you're at work. I've used Muscle Milk mixed with whey, or Amplified Mass and other mass shakes just to maintain. I just ordered a product called Russian Bear 5000, but plan on splitting up it's approx 4000 calories (with skim milk) over an entire day in five smaller milkshakes. I've been stuck on 180 for at least a year and need to shock my body somehow to get to my goal of at least 200 and hopefully 210. I do eat a decent lunch and small supper, but usually breakfast and morning snack is mass shakes/protein shakes and supplement pills.
Peanut butter bro...lots of cals and convenient

Bsiggy1

Bsiggy1

Awards
Couldnt agree more! Trader Joes has some great peanut, almond, cashew butters that include flax seeds that are great with some protein rice snacks!!

Bsiggy1

Bsiggy1

Awards
Couldnt agree more! Trader Joes has some great peanut, almond, cashew butters that include flax seeds that are great with some protein rice snacks!!

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
Yep I can attest to the oats grinding effect. I stopped cooking oatmeal about a year and a half ago, and I love the change. I even stopped boiling eggs, I use liquid egg whites from egg whites international. You can even just buy the egg whites from the grocery. For breakfast I mix 1/2 cup of grounded oats, 1 cup of egg whites, 1 cup on non fat milk and my 4 scoops of Up Your Mass by MHP..mmmmmm.

loganchristop

Awards
There isn't anything wrong with a protein shake !

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
No one is saying there is something wrong with Protein shakes. The discussion is whether using protein shakes as a main source of meals is a good thing. I personally cook all my meals each morning before going to work. However, when I was a traveling Microsoft engineer, I used buy those stouffers, or skillet sensations by the dozen, and just throw them in the freezer till I was ready. Tyson makes those 99% fat free chicken breast or strips that are already fully cooked. You can get those at WalMart or Target....even HEB. The biggest thing to look out for is the sodium, but a lot of them are starting lower the sodium. I think you just need to sit down and really strategically plan your meals rather than try to use Protein shakes as your main source. Devote a little time to preparing your meals, and it would save you a world of hurt or disappointment down the road.

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I almost NEVER use a protein supplement (other than bcaa). I cook all my lunches for the week on saturday morning, and have my snacks and dinner as needed. I also do IF and work out at 430AM, so I don't eat until noon, only have some bcaas to hold me over. Guess what? My recovery is just fine.

real food > protein shakes, but protein shakes in a pinch are much better than nothing

liloroc

liloroc

Awards
I use serious mass and I Must say I have used it for quite some time and love it's results! From the looks of your avatar, you seem pretty lean which would make me think you have a fast metabolism as well! Doesnt seem like it would convert to fat in my eyes but you know your body better than anyone else! I burn a lot of that off so it doesn't affect at all! Regarding the digestive tract issue, I use water with my shake and pretty much have no problem! I am lactose intolerant which has been getting worse as I have gotten older so I stay away from the milk and dairy.