Protein question

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
First, would collagen protein even count towards your daily protein goal?
Second, I’ve tried every type of protein. Plant seems to be better, but they alllll seem to bother my stomach. Any other options to help with daily protein goal? I fall about 50-60g a day short.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You should not count collagen protein into your daily protein intake. There’s a lot of articles relating to why. Also try different proteins as some are easier on the stomach than others. Don’t use cheap protein either. If you’re lactose intolerant you may want to stay with vegan protein.

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Second, I’ve tried every type of protein. Plant seems to be better, but they alllll seem to bother my stomach. Any other options to help with daily protein goal? I fall about 50-60g a day short.
Why can't you hit your protein goals with normal food? You are essentially one decent steak, couple of small chicken breasts, couple of cans of tuna away from it. Why worry about supplements if they all bother your stomach? Supplements are just that, supplements. Get your nutrition right up front, supplements are secondary.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I wouldn't count collagen into your protein macros, its amino acid composition is pretty poor.

Have you tried doing half or quarter scoops more often? If you find 1 scoop to be heavy on your stomach, see if you tolerate smaller amounts spread out over the day.

For me, I find just eating more chicken breast or seeking out higher protein foods (e.g. i found a bread which is 15g of protein per 2 slices) helps me keep my protein intake up.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
For me, I find just eating more chicken breast or seeking out higher protein foods (e.g. i found a bread which is 15g of protein per 2 slices) helps me keep my protein intake up.
Same here. For me all my meals are high protein and even my snacks I try to have protein packed snacks so it makes it easier to get in all your protein when you make it a point to in your diet.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Redcon MRE Lite protein has been a life saver for me. My stomach couldn’t handle any other protein.
I personally have not tried the MRE Lite but i've heard something similar to this before so I may have to look into it.

stancratcha5

stancratcha5

Awards
I personally have not tried the MRE Lite but i've heard something similar to this before so I may have to look into it.
Highly suggest it. I’ve literally tried every other protein out there over the years, desperate to find something that didn’t wreck my gut. This one works for me, and allows me to consistently get above the 1GPBW threshold.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Highly suggest it. I’ve literally tried every other protein out there over the years, desperate to find something that didn’t wreck my gut. This one works for me, and allows me to consistently get above the 1GPBW threshold.
Awesome! Sounds like a quality protein powder. What flavor do you like the best?

RIPDanDuchaine

RIPDanDuchaine

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can you list all the proteins you've tried? We can help narrow down what you might be allergic or sensitive too and recommend a protein based on that.

Why can't you hit your protein goals with normal food? You are essentially one decent steak, couple of small chicken breasts, couple of cans of tuna away from it. Why worry about supplements if they all bother your stomach? Supplements are just that, supplements. Get your nutrition right up front, supplements are secondary.
I personally avoid tuna now because of the high mercury content. It used to be one of the main staples for bodybuilders, but now with it's crazy amounts of mercury, it should probably be avoided, unfortunately.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The blueberry and strawberry are legit. Chocolate banana, and brownie aren’t bad either.
Blueberry in some almond milk sounds tasty. May have to give that one a try!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I believe the Ghost Proteins have some probiotics in them to help with digestion. Maybe @The Solution can elaborate on this ?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I believe the Ghost Proteins have some probiotics in them to help with digestion. Maybe @The Solution can elaborate on this ?
Correct
There is an added digestive enzyme in Ghost whey to help with overall digestion.
I even have some clients who can't handle dariy well who can handle the whey protein perfectly fine.

See Ghost Enzyme in the ingredient profile

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I get some bloating from Lactose, but I have no problems with Ghost !!

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I wouldn't count collagen into your protein macros, its amino acid composition is pretty poor.

Have you tried doing half or quarter scoops more often? If you find 1 scoop to be heavy on your stomach, see if you tolerate smaller amounts spread out over the day.

What bread is that dude? I'm NZ.

JD284

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Might be a longshot but have you tried NOW Plant Enzymes? They are a staple in whatever stack im running. And/or a probiotic - they may help you. I take the plant enzymes at least one with each meal. Just because you ingest x grams of protein doesn't mean your body will absorb all of it. If the enzymes are helping with absorption, i don't feel as bad not meeting the protein goal for the day especially during a cut. Plus, they are fairly inexpensive.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I missed the New Zealand Parts, Sorry !

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
WesleyInman

WesleyInman

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Redcon MRE Lite protein has been a life saver for me. My stomach couldn’t handle any other protein.
I'm pissed. I just got the Banana Nut Bread (which I have lived on) and they changed the formula and flavoring.

It went from tasting 1-10, like a 10 and now it tastes like pure DOG****. Redcon f***D up bad. I won't buy that flavor ever again.

What a shameful decision, whoever did that.

The blueberry cobbler is still A++ (for now)

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That would upset me also !! :mad:

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm pissed. I just got the Banana Nut Bread (which I have lived on) and they changed the formula and flavoring.

It went from tasting 1-10, like a 10 and now it tastes like pure DOG****. Redcon f***D up bad. I won't buy that flavor ever again.

What a shameful decision, whoever did that.

The blueberry cobbler is still A++ (for now)
I've never been a banana fan anyways but blueberry cobbler sounds nice!