Protein powders with added enzymes legit?

Zariph

Awards
hey

I see some protein poweders has added digestive enzymes - maybe a stupid question but how can you add those enzymes without them braking down the protein? I mean the purpose of the added enzymes is to break down the protein, so how can you add the enzymes toe the protein without making it so that the enzymes breaks down the protein in the tub?

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
A good question - you have to start with the first part, when taking in protein it isn't just about how much do you take in, its how much can your body digest. You may ingest 350 g of protein per day, but how much of that is being digested within a 24 hour period?

your body can only digest a certain amount of protein per hour- hence the reason we say eat 5-7 meals per day and slamming a shake with 50 g or more at one time is pointless, that's another ballgame- nevertheless the amount is around 7-10 per hour. it would take your body around 5 hours to digest that 50g shake. it takes around an hour and 1/2 for the protein to pass through the gut that actually can absorb this.- so by the time this has gone through you, you have only taken in around 15 grams- the rest, go get some teepee

so how do you help your body speed this up? By adding digestive enzymes to protein it helps speed up digestion and the amino acid profile are more available. nitrogen levels in the body are also increased creating more of an anabolic effect vs a catabolic effect.

hope that helps

Zariph

Awards
A good question - you have to start with the first part, when taking in protein it isn't just about how much do you take in, its how much can your body digest. You may ingest 350 g of protein per day, but how much of that is being digested within a 24 hour period?

your body can only digest a certain amount of protein per hour- hence the reason we say eat 5-7 meals per day and slamming a shake with 50 g or more at one time is pointless, that's another ballgame- nevertheless the amount is around 7-10 per hour. it would take your body around 5 hours to digest that 50g shake. it takes around an hour and 1/2 for the protein to pass through the gut that actually can absorb this.- so by the time this has gone through you, you have only taken in around 15 grams- the rest, go get some teepee

so how do you help your body speed this up? By adding digestive enzymes to protein it helps speed up digestion and the amino acid profile are more available. nitrogen levels in the body are also increased creating more of an anabolic effect vs a catabolic effect.

hope that helps
thx for the answer, but how come the digestive enzymes doesn't break down the portein while in the protein tub?

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
when you have a firecracker and a fuse, does it explode? not until you initiate a spark. one product is used to break down a product with the aid of digestive acid.

Zariph

Awards
when you have a firecracker and a fuse, does it explode? not until you initiate a spark. one product is used to break down a product with the aid of digestive acid.
ah okay thx

ma70

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
your body can only digest a certain amount of protein per hour- hence the reason we say eat 5-7 meals per day and slamming a shake with 50 g or more at one time is pointless, that's another ballgame- nevertheless the amount is around 7-10 per hour.
I'm pretty sure more protein just takes longer to digest. This post makes it seem as if the protein is wasted or something.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
I'm pretty sure more protein just takes longer to digest. This post makes it seem as if the protein is wasted or something.
indeed it is. obviously the case of "more is not better" when it comes to digestion. then if you want to go further, (please say no, because its early, im tired and getting over being sick) we can get into protein sub fractions and ratios. how 50 g of protein isn't 50 g etc- another day, another thread

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I agree. Just because your body might not be digesting it all immediately, it will eventually be broken down and the amino acids will be used in the body

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
I agree. Just because your body might not be digesting it all immediately, it will eventually be broken down and the amino acids will be used in the body
your body can only digest x amount and will disburse the rest- your body cannot store amino acids, use them or loss them- hence the reason that any bcca ratio in high numbers is pointless

ma70

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
indeed it is. obviously the case of "more is not better" when it comes to digestion. then if you want to go further, (please say no, because its early, im tired and getting over being sick) we can get into protein sub fractions and ratios. how 50 g of protein isn't 50 g etc- another day, another thread
Not interested in going further. I've seen plenty of back and forths regarding this subject and in the end, my "suboptimal ways" of eating are still getting me stronger and gains, so I'm good.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Not interested in going further. I've seen plenty of back and forths regarding this subject and in the end, my "suboptimal ways" of eating are still getting me stronger and gains, so I'm good.
:fest06:

thank you- lol