Protein Powder Question

jnibori

Awards
First, I want to say hello to the forum. I do find the forums a great resource, which I often turn to for advice. I selected this forum because I am guessing there are many people who are very knowledgeable in protein powders.

First a little about me and my goal before my question.

My diet is estimated at 70-80% plant based. I get most of my proteins with breakfast, which is a combination of egg whites, black beans and roughly 2oz of Salmon. I usually have several handful of nuts as well. I have more proteins during a light lunch, which is usually fruit and nuts, and often plain yogurt. My dinners are usually a base of stir-fried vegetables, with nuts, raisins, seeds and usually some shrimp thrown in. I use this as a base for every dinner, which I make once a week. To mix thing up I'll change out what I sauce it with and add different toppings for each serving, which is usually some type of canned sea food, like clams, octopus, and the like. I mainly do this for added protein and some other nutrients, and not so much for a flavor benefit.

Now my question:

Many times I'm not in the mood for the added toppings. Either due to being lazy, or burned out of it at that time, but I don't think I'll have enough proteins if I don't include them. I'm not trying to develop a larger body, however I am very active in the cardio area, and at the age of 50 I'm concerned about muscle loss. I have been through weight training many times in the past, and I know this is something I won't stick with. My goal is basically to keep what I have.

My question is can I include a non-flavored soy protein powder and cook it directly into the stir-fry? (Sounds nasty, I know). Will the cooking process, which I do using a commercial grade wok-burner, degrade the product to where it's of no benefit? I'd prefer to cook it into the dish, rather then use it as a topping, if possible. I am aware that protein powder is often used in bake goods, so I am guessing I should be fine, but I am hoping I might get a more definitive answer. Again, I want to reiterate how the product might be exposed to high heats for short periods, if that matters. (Referring to a 100,000 BTU burner)

I did Google it, but I only found tips for using it in baked goods. I also called a main stream nutrition department three times (different stores), and they were unsure. I have yet to buy the product, so I have not called anything on the package as far as consumer questions, so I'm hoping perhaps somebody has done this as well.

I do know about smoothies, etc.. but I'm looking for a "set it and forget it" usage, via using it as an ingredient.

TIA
jnibori

rome32

rome32

Board Sponsor
Awards
You can add it if thats what you want.

Personally I can't eat that much from a vegetable source so more power to you!

Make sure you use quinoa instead of rice, eat plenty of broccoli and spinach, utilize cottage cheese & milk. & for post workout I suggest BCAAs.

I have a few good protein powder sources.. if youre interested just PM me.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
You can add it if thats what you want.

Personally I can't eat that much from a vegetable source so more power to you!

Make sure you use quinoa instead of rice, eat plenty of broccoli and spinach, utilize cottage cheese & milk. & for post workout I suggest BCAAs.

I have a few good protein powder sources.. if youre interested just PM me.
Why quinoa over rice?

rome32

rome32

Board Sponsor
Awards
Why quinoa over rice?
The amount of protein in quinoa will help with overall protein consumption. And I personally like it just to mix things up every once in a while.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
The amount of protein in quinoa will help with overall protein consumption. And I personally like it just to mix things up every once in a while.
I agree, especially as he eats very little meat. Needs all the protein he can get :D

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Lots of good ways to sneak protein powder into veggie dishes

Hummus-style (chickpea based) dips with a good flavoured powder.

I have some recipes in the Select thread for bean-based protein blondies and pies

rome32

rome32

Board Sponsor
Awards
I agree, especially as he eats very little meat. Needs all the protein he can get :D
Exactly! I mean there's been a few, not many, but a few plant based bodybuilders in history with successful careers.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
Yeah much more protein. His intake is probably very low.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
Does soy protein lose biovaility as whey does when heated.

jnibori

Awards
I want to say thanks for the input. It is very much appreciated.

In reference to the quinoa suggestion, I do use that in my meals, however I've switched back to brown rice for now. I know the quinoa does have protein, but the taste mixed with what I make was a bit off when compared to brown rice. However, I do plan on mixing it up as well.

I also failed to mention that I do include tofu in the stir-fry most of the time, however I want to cut that out of the mix as well. Only because of the added prep time. I also consume an estimated 14oz of plain yogurt (drizzled with Agave) for a 'desert' 3-4 times a week or so. So on those days I'm not concerned with the protein intake. It's the other days that I'm not too sure about.

Anyhow, I'll add some powder in next week's batch and see how it turns out, then re-post for anybody who might stumble across this thread. Again, I know my goals might be a bit out of the norm for this forum as far as body development, but as suspected I found a lot of knowledge in here from just looking around.

Thanks again!
jnibori

jnibori

Awards
I thought I'd post how this turned out using the protein powder just in case somebody was curious or thinking about it.

Here's the one and only thing I would recommend, should anybody decide they might try this too: DON'T!

In short, it left a weird mouth-feel, which was a bit grainy. Plus even though it was plain as far as flavor, it still does have a taste which was not awful, but in no way does it work with Tuneric, garlic, ginger, etc... Due to the time it takes to chop everything, I'll most likely choke it down for a few more nights and chalk it up to a lesson learned. I think I'll coin this as stir-fry gruel.

Thanks again for the help.

jnibori