protein excess

seasoul

Awards
Hi All,
I know that carbs are broken down into sugars.
Proteins (I'm referring to pure whey) are broken down into aminoacids.
In order to shed fat I have to eat a specific amount of proteins per day.
What does it happen if I exceed my daily intake of proteins?
Can the exceeding amino acids be transformed in sugar or fat?

Thank you
Cheers

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes they can, and it requires about 1 kcal per gram of protein to convert it into glucose or fat. So its quite expensive for the body.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
look up "gluconeogenesis." its a nice confusing process where your body creates glucose from non carbohydrate sources, which includes amino acids

mpucciitm

Awards
If you're trying to lose weight you have to be in an overall calorie deficit. As far as protein goes as long as you're around 0.8-1g\lb then that's enough to build muscle while on a deficit. If you have more then you will have to have less carbs and fats to stay in a deficit

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
look up "gluconeogenesis." its a nice confusing process where your body creates glucose from non carbohydrate sources, which includes amino acids
this

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Carbohydrates though are protein-sparing (meaning that they are preferred over proteins for energy) and allow the proteins to be better used for which they are intended.

It won't matter if you eat more protein than it says to, provided you are still in a calorie deficit. If you are limiting fat and CHO intakes (which I don't recommend) then yes, your body will convert aminos into glucose for use as a fuel or, if protein intake is excessive + you are in a calorie excess then aminos can be deaminated and stored as fat.

Hardedge

Awards
If I remember correctly, according to several sources inc. Lyle Mcdonald and John Keifer, proteins are very difficult to turn into fats, because the process is very energy intensive and convoluted. It doesn't start until you approach 3g/ lb or something like that. gluconeogenesis will; occur though to make glucose if you aren't taking in carbohydrates or enough fats.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If I remember correctly, according to several sources inc. Lyle Mcdonald and John Keifer, proteins are very difficult to turn into fats, because the process is very energy intensive and convoluted. It doesn't start until you approach 3g/ lb or something like that. gluconeogenesis will; occur though to make glucose if you aren't taking in carbohydrates or enough fats.
It depends on the amino acid's pathway, whether it is ketogenic of glucogenic. The process WRT to amino's to fat goes something like this (in a gross description):
amino acid --> krebs cycle intermediate --> acetyl coa --> fatty acid

Other amino's are much easier to convert to glucose via gluconeogenesis and trans/deamination.

It is expensive, requiring about 1 kcal/gram (or 25% of the energy supplied by protein), but it does occur.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you know that excess protein has a lots of side effects.
Why are you giving fat loss advice when you yourself have started a thread asking for fat loss advice? Your posts have had no merit at all the last few days.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
those looks like possible side effects from an imbalanced diet

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are 8 side effects or more. such as:

1. Weight gain,
  2. Intestinal irritation,
  3. Dehydration,
  4. Seizures,
  5. Increase in liver enzymes,
  6. Nutritional deficiencies,
  7. Risk of heart disease and
  8. Kidney problems.
Copy and pasting doesn't show anything. The only one that has some merit is the kidney problems, but again, that is only in people with damaged kidneys.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haven't you seen that it consists on kidney's problem at number 8.
Yes, I can read, but it's only in people with damaged kidneys. Excessive protein in and of itself does NOT damage the kidneys in healthy adults.