• Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What is everyone using ?

U

uncle-rico

Awards
Fermented foods like kimchi, sauerkraut and kefir. I included this in my diet several times per week and it worked wonders for my digestion.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Actually for July ive decided to take a break from Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes from supplements. I have always taken a Swedish brand called Great Earth.

But i do make my own Kefir that i drink every day, i also have Kimchi to 3 meals a day.

For digestion i eat pineapple and kiwi (with the skin) to aid protein digestion.

I

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm not convinced probiotics are really worth it

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have noticed just lately that after my lunch (a large salad) that I have felt bloated, so I thought I would give it a try.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have noticed just lately that after my lunch (a large salad) that I have felt bloated, so I thought I would give it a try.
What I would recommend is to try and solve it by going to the cause instead of adding a supplement to aid it.
Look at whats in your salad, see if any specific ingredient is the cause of the bloat. Maybe its just because its a high volume meal with alot of fiber?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What I would recommend is to try and solve it by going to the cause instead of adding a supplement to aid it.
Look at whats in your salad, see if any specific ingredient is the cause of the bloat. Maybe its just because its a high volume meal with alot of fiber?
That's been my lunch for 20 years !!

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That's been my lunch for 20 years !!
Apparently one way of building up a food intolerance is by eating the same thing for a long time.
Also our digestion system and microbiome seems to change as we age. So even if something has always worked for you it might not be working the same anymore.
Just something to think about.

Also if you have recently added a new supplement or the like to your daily regime, this can some how get aggrevated by your meal. Personally id probably go with a digestive enzyme products over a probiotic for your issue. But its hard to say.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think it is an age thing, after 60 I find many things change, I think the digestive enzyme may be a good idea. I think papaya helps. Time to do some research.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
This.....
I recently had a food intolerance test done,
Most of the things that came back "Mild" were food I eat on the regular --- Chicken, almonds (Almond butter), and even Coffee
Most of the foods I had no allergy to were foods I never eat -- Seafood, Some veggies, fruits ,and other sources
I had a moderate spike for one item (egg whites) which is very common in almost all people I see across the board. Eggs are very hard for some people to digest and one thing I remove in my clients and see a lot of success with GI and digestion issues. Not the case for everyone but usually an easy fix for GI distress and bloat.

Given @Rocket3015 eating the same thing for nearly 20 years I would do the process of elimination.
If you eat a salad with a mixed bag of veggies, chicken, and nuts. Try the salad one week without the nuts and see how you feel. If the bloat is gone, then you know that is the issue. if not then try next week subbing chicken for turkey or beef, and see if that is it. If last resort a few weeks later swaps out the lettuce for Asparagus, bell peppers, zucchini, or other low FODMAP sources.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Personally I'm pretty boring when it comes to probiotics - I just use NOW Foods 3 Billion or 2 Billion one (the 3 Billion one stays out of stock).

One the products that I'm looking forward to the most that we have in the new product lineup is a product that has prebiotics, postbiotics, digestive enzymes, and more in one comprehensive product. It's very complex so the ETA will be several months out but contains 9 clinically researched, licensed branded ingredients so it will be extremely comprehensive.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Personally I'm pretty boring when it comes to probiotics - I just use NOW Foods 3 Billion or 2 Billion one (the 3 Billion one stays out of stock).

One the products that I'm looking forward to the most that we have in the new product lineup is a product that has prebiotics, postbiotics, digestive enzymes, and more in one comprehensive product. It's very complex so the ETA will be several months out but contains 9 clinically researched, licensed branded ingredients so it will be extremely comprehensive.
Sounds like a Winner, if you need a guinea pig let me know ....

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Given @Rocket3015 eating the same thing for nearly 20 years I would do the process of elimination.
If you eat a salad with a mixed bag of veggies, chicken, and nuts. Try the salad one week without the nuts and see how you feel. If the bloat is gone, then you know that is the issue. if not then try next week subbing chicken for turkey or beef, and see if that is it. If last resort a few weeks later swaps out the lettuce for Asparagus, bell peppers, zucchini, or other low FODMAP sources.
Good Idea !!

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Neobium Suprabiotic is great, only DPS carries it and Predator in the U.K.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer