Probably a dumb question but I have to ask

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Is it possible to eat while doing light cardio at the same time? Like instead of sitting down and eating, if I eat while walking or doing low intensity treadmill walk, does it help in any which way? Does it have any effect on metabolism? In NYC, I see a lot of people on the move and people eat and drink while on the go and they look pretty lean so I thought maybe there's something to this.

Thanks.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Is it possible to eat while doing light cardio at the same time? Like instead of sitting down and eating, if I eat while walking or doing low intensity treadmill walk, does it help in any which way? Does it have any effect on metabolism? In NYC, I see a lot of people on the move and people eat and drink while on the go and they look pretty lean so I thought maybe there's something to this.

Thanks.
No.

They do that because they don't have/won't make time to sit down and eat.

You see the same thing with marathon runners/distance bikers.
They do it because they have no choice, not because of added benefit.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
No.

They do that because they don't have/won't make time to sit down and eat.

You see the same thing with marathon runners/distance bikers.
They do it because they have no choice, not because of added benefit.
i am curious, can you say no with certainty?

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm just curious because I saw this person with a working treadmill desk where he walks at a slow measured pace while doing his work. He said it really helps him focus, be more energetic, and productive. I was wondering if that logic could be applied while eating food.

Also our nomadic ancestors rarely had the luxury of sitting down for a meal. Most often they had to eat whatever they could find on the go. Even Mongol horseman had to eat raw meat that they put under their saddle (turning it into jerky) while on the go and horse riding is a form of exercise that burns calories. Is there any merit to this?

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I dont know about walking while eating, but 10 minute walks post meals has been coming more and more up due to Stan Efferding bringing it to the front. In his ebook "The Vertical Diet and Peak Performance 3.0" he has this to say:

"A brisk 10 minute walk after each of 2-4 meals daily greatly improves insulin sensitivity, decrease gas, improves digestion, decrease DOMS and aids in recovery."

You can also watch one of his rants about the 10 minute walks here

I dont know if the same can be said if you walk while eating or if that puts stress on your body that might hinder digestion or other things.