Prioritising (extra) rest over gym.

Mr Giggles

Awards
Say you take a couple of days off the gym. You get to the end of your training week and take the weekend off to rest up, eat up and recover but then come Monday, and for some reason, you still feel like ****, fatigued, your body still feels heavily under-recovered and just feels like your body still has no drive. What do you guys do? Prioritise some extra rest (even if its a planned gym day) or just hit the gym?

I have a listened to a few strength podcasts and sometimes, some coaches will tend to prioritise further rest/sleep/days off in place of training (even if the day in question, was a planned gym day).

Curious over this.

I know some people have the mentality of 'don't be ****y' and other have the mentality of 'its clear my body is still not even 50% recovered from last weeks training'

Not sure if this thread makes much sense, but hopefully some of you guys can chime in.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
You rest. In my youth I would push through and these days it seems many people will just stack the stims to get through it but in the long run, it won't yield better results. I'll do light cardio (like I'm about to do now).

As you get older, you literally have to take time off or you will run yourself into the ground. (more fatique, weaker immune system, etc..).

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If my body is sore but I still have the desire to train then I simply adjust my training volume and intensity or completely change the daily routine to active recovery. But when I’m truly unrecovered or approaching overtraining I tend to have accompanying mental fatigue as well and no desire to train. In that case I take the extra rest as needed as well.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I try to do every body part twice a week. My legs were sore after my previous leg workout. Instead of destroying them the second time, I did lighter leg work, and abs.

Mr Giggles

Awards
As a natural, periods when nothing works and recovery is ****, makes you really wanna go the untested route.

Of course rest, food and sleep either route is beneficial, but as a natural, all you have at your disposal is food and sleep and sometimes, that is just not enough

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You rest. You grow and recover in rest (should be obvious) and also need to make sure you are eating properly. Generally I would see guys not recovering well when they were not eating to support their activity.

I wouldn't have admitted this when I was young, but I always come back much stronger after a break of 3-4 days.