Priorities for Fat Loss; Can Anyone Comment?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
After 20 years in the gym, reading lots of sources, and trying new things, here is what I think are the priorities for Fat Loss, and the rationales behind them.

Interestingly, some seem paradoxical. It seems like the 1970's and 1980's science still permeates today.

I. Diet

This is of course 50% of the picture; perhaps the final analysis puts it at 60% of results.

It seems like the final analysis is "energy output must exceed energy input", especially in the long-term.

Every diet such as low fat diet, low carb diet, pure protein diet, Mediterranean Diet, Intermittent Fasting Per Day, Per Week, Per Two Weeks, Per Month, etc. can all work, as long as people stick to it.

Calling foods "bad" or even "junk" just seems the fact of someone without education.

II. Workout Priorities:

Most people are told 1980's philosophy that "to lose fat, you need to get up your cardio". That seems paradoxical, as that takes away from building muscle and intensity.

Here are my priorities for fat loss:

1. Strength Training (with heavy barbell weights, such as StrongLifts 5 * 5). Rationale: everyone needs more strength, whether a big NFL lineman or a small 80 year old woman. Strength training is the best way to get up and make exercise easier.

2. Hypertrophy Training (I like Gamma Bomb, HypertrophyMax, 10 * 10). These are all good and building muscle; muscle is metabolically active. So, the more muscle, the faster the metabolism.

3. Bodyweight Cardio Exercises (I like Mike Whitfield Bodyweight Finishers, Swimming, Plyometrics, etc.). These are one of the few types of cardio I have seen that can help you lose fat, but not change muscle fibers from Type II's to Type 1's. While it may not seem to lose fat as quickly as something like running, it does keep on the crucial muscle and strength.

4. Flexibility and Range of Motion: I do these between sets. I think this is crucial for getting blood flow, and allowing the body to move in a full range of motion during exercises. This is crucial.

5. Traditional Cardio: I think traditional cardio still has a place, but the time limit should be kept down to 20-30 minutes, two or three times a week.

I like shuttle runs, etc. because they build up the cardiovascular system in a short amount of time.

6. Abdominals and core training: this is essential, especially between sets, as it is important to have a strong core to make sure movements can be done correctly. In my case, when I break form on squat or deadlift, it is because my core is weak.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Looks ok, but seems more like this is priority for sparing muscle while losing fat. If priority was just fat loss, there are a lot less steps.