Prescribed Synthroid- What can I expect?

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi all
I was just prescribed Synthroid. What can I expect in the way of:
1. Energy
2. Fat loss
3. Lean mass
4. Sexual function

Thanks

robshef

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I started with synthroid 50mcg in March and felt great for about 80 days. After that some of my previous symptoms returned. The Endo upped my dose to 75 mcg and I did not see any improvement. Endo refused to try anything different so I started seeing a different physician. He had me take NP thyroid. I believe I started at 45 mg per day and felt a little better but have since increased to 90 my each day and that seems to be working even better. I still don't feel as good as I did right away on synthroid, but that leveled off so quickly and I returned to how I felt before identifying my hypothyroidism.

Right away with synthroid my symptoms faded away, flaking scalp, soreness in upper back and other joints, insomnia, etc. I began to feel more energy and my workout capacity greatly increased to what I had been used to earlier in my life. I didn't lose much weight but I began to retain muscle from lifting that was impossible when I was undiagnosed. I shed fat too. My libido has never normalized, there are times I have normal libido but it comes and goes.

In short, I'm still trying to find what works best for me. I'm close but I have an appt this week and will see if we can tweak a little more and I hope my libido returns. I'm still feeling minor joint pain that I'd like to sort out too. One last note, I just had my total cholesterol tested at 145 and it had skyrocketed to 225 while I was undiagnosed. It was I'm the 130s leading up to onset of hypothyroidism symptoms.