Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
True, but with Ceylon easily available, why use it at all? Especially since a "GDA" seems to be one of those "take it all the time" supplements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coumarin#Toxicity_and_use_in_foods.2C_beverages.2C_cosmetics.2C_and_tobacco
We seem to have an irrational fear of anything remotely linked to cancer, yet establishing a casual relationship is profoundly difficult. I take anything like this with a HUGE grain of salt because oncology research and anything related is WELL outside my scope of knowledge and it very complex. Cancer is not just a "eat this and you'll get cancer"; it requires like 10 steps within the body for it to occur. If you are genetically pre-disposed to developing it, you're best line of defence is being regularly checked, IMO.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11396185

Demonstrates an antiproliferative effect against certain cancer cell lines. Meh.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
We seem to have an irrational fear...
But when you have a perfectly acceptable alternative that contains almost zero of the irrationally feared compound - why not use it instead? In this case, we know why = $$$ Cassia is cheaper. Let's not pretend that Glycolog is intended to prevent cancer by using Cassia :D (I know *you* aren't saying that).

dynamo

Banned
Awards
But when you have a perfectly acceptable alternative that contains almost zero of the irrationally feared compound - why not use it instead? In this case, we know why = $$$ Cassia is cheaper. Let's not pretend that Glycolog is intended to prevent cancer by using Cassia :D (I know *you* aren't saying that).
Isn't Cinnulin-PF from cassia?

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Isn't Cinnulin-PF from cassia?
I'm not a Botanist, so all I can point you to is Wiki:

Cinnamomum burmannii, also known as Indonesian cinnamon, Padang cassia, Batavia cassia, or korintje, is one of several plants in the genus Cinnamomum whose bark is sold as the spice cinnamon. The most common and cheapest type of cinnamon in the US is made from powdered C. burmannii.[citation needed] Cinnamomum burmannii oil contains no eugenol.,[2] but higher amounts of coumarin than cassia and Ceylon cinnamon with 2.14 g/kg in an authenticated sample.[3] It is also sold as quills of one layer.[2]

and

While Cinnamomum verum (Ceylon - T.O.G.) is sometimes considered to be "true cinnamon" , most cinnamon in international commerce is derived from related species, which are also referred to as "cassia" to distinguish them from "true cinnamon".[1][2]

A number of species are often sold as cinnamon:[29]

Cinnamomum cassia (cassia or Chinese cinnamon, the most common type)
C. burmannii (Korintje, Padang cassia, or Indonesian cinnamon)
C. loureiroi (Saigon cinnamon, Vietnamese cassia, or Vietnamese cinnamon)
C. verum (Sri Lanka cinnamon or Ceylon cinnamon)
C. citriodorum (Malabar cinnamon)
C. tamale (Indian cinnamon)
But The Cinnulin People say:

Cinnulin PF is a proprietary water soluble extract of Cinnamomum burmannii. The proprietary extraction process helps filter out toxins found in whole cinnamon.
So I guess if Glycolog's cinnamon process is similar - It may (cite needed) be fine.

Like I said, I don't buy purpose built GDA's - I'm a bulk whole food guy - I just buy Cinnamon, and chose Ceylon over Cassia.

Edit: So in a nutshell -

Cinnulin PF = Indonesia

Cheap Cassia = China

Ceylon = Sri Lanka

dynamo

Banned
Awards
I'm not a Botanist, so all I can point you to is Wiki:

But The Cinnulin People say:

So I guess if Glycolog's cinnamon process is similar - It may (cite needed) be fine.

Like I said, I don't buy purpose built GDA's - I'm a bulk whole food guy - I just buy Cinnamon, and chose Ceylon over Cassia.
My guess is that the two is probably similarly processed. I think whatever they use in GlycoLog might have a higher percentage of actives being extracted for but it's probably from a no name generic supplier (does not necessarily mean that quality is of question, you're just not paying a premium).

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Op, based on your nutrition ive done a few similar things. USP labs AP with my pre workout meal, which is awesome. I've also used evomuse slintensity. If you have cream of rice those are both great, slintensity may be slightly better, it's very strong so I find I need to take with faster carbs. Ap I can have with my oatmeal.

Now although not a supplement the absolute king in this sceme that I have found has been 500mg metformin with my preworkout meal of a size similar to yours.

KtchnChmst

Awards
  • Established
Op, based on your nutrition ive done a few similar things. USP labs AP with my pre workout meal, which is awesome. I've also used evomuse slintensity. If you have cream of rice those are both great, slintensity may be slightly better, it's very strong so I find I need to take with faster carbs. Ap I can have with my oatmeal.

Now although not a supplement the absolute king in this sceme that I have found has been 500mg metformin with my preworkout meal of a size similar to yours.
Thank you sir. Im actually not a huge fan of Metformin.....ive tried different versions (basic and extended release) and ive tried different dosages (250, 500, 1000) all variations gave me GI distress. I am however a fan of Berberine hcl.
My original "plan" was 500mg Berberine with my preworkout meal and 300mg rala just before my training to assist in "shuttling" the HBCD/Aminos into the muscle cells during training.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Isnt metformin associated with decrease androgen receptors or something like that?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Isnt metformin associated with decrease androgen receptors or something like that?
Possibly. like I said the most intense fullness and pumps of anything I've used. No question. Absolutely no negatives I've found.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
So true!! vit a and e in a typical vitamins will do more harm then good. As they use 1 isomer at way to high doses. Which depletes the levels of the other isomers, which are the isomers that are actually beneficial. Then they also includes vits and minerals that prevent absorption of other vits and minerals. Not to mention some include rediculous amounts of certian metals, that over time can cause serious side effects, if used daily
Sorry for the hijack, but any recommendations for a good multi?

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sorry for the hijack, but any recommendations for a good multi?
Non so far. Closest, atm, to being decent is jym multivitamin but even that has its major flaws. sounds like USPlabs is working on something.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Because you're asking them to spend more money (and thus pass those costs along) to feed an irrational fear, lol.