Unanswered Pre workout & Tension headache?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anyone else get a tension headache when they intake their pre workout?

I have recently been getting a tension headache.. (I say headache but it more just like a tightness/pressure feeling) at the back of my neck and running up my head. It isn't causing major grief but just wondered the cause? Just to see if i could minimise it on the days i do use a pre workout? It isn't caffeine as i can intake any other caffeine source and the same amount in mg's and not have any issues.

Could it be a blood flow problem? Like blood vessels being constricted? I thought about adding some Cittruline or Arginine to my pre just to see if it helps dilate my blood vessels and see if i get the same level of tension?

I very rarely use my Pre though so cutting it out wouldn't be an issue. I was just intrigued what would cause this?

Anyone been able to resolve it?

Thanks

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What pre(s) do you use? It may actually be from too much blood flow. If you take anything that increases blood flow to the brain, it can cause headaches. Vinpocetine and ginkgo biloba, for example.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
To clarify, I just know those two are known to cause headaches from sending too much blood to the brain. In theory, any vasodilator could do something similar.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
To clarify, I just know those two are known to cause headaches from sending too much blood to the brain. In theory, any vasodilator could do something similar.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Curious as well what pre you are using and if you've had this probably in the past with other pres or just this one?

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Stims cause constriction of blood vessels in the brain (and everywhere else). Want a great worout? Don't have more than a cup of coffee in the stim department.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Curious as well what pre you are using and if you've had this probably in the past with other pres or just this one?
Hydrapharm Hydrazine

I was recently using Sparta Nutrition - Kraken the old formula so still had eria jarensis and DMHA & Caffeine. Never really had an issue. Infact i had no tension whatsoever..

This pre though... Tension headaches everytime i have used it. Even from 1 serving (Suggests you can use up to 2 servings a day)

Can't see any ingredients that stand out as an issue? Unless is has a ''special'' ingredient in their.... Hence why it feels better than most other pre workouts.... Might just ditch it tbh. I took it earlier on before my workout and it's been tension on/off all day. Also feel a major slump in mood aswell.

Anywhooo.. Just wondered what could actually be causing it. Blood restriction or more blood flow... Will see how my blood pressure is looking aswell

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ended up just throwing these out.. Had a sore head from morning till night yesterday and even woke this morning feeling.... No too good. Even had a tight chest feeling. Fook dying for a good workout

Such a waste of ££££ as they aint cheap! But if they are making me feel like this then its obvious they aren't doing my body any favours. So i got the bottle opened all the caps and flushed the powder. If i had just threw them in the bin i probably would have went rummaging in a day or 2 to get a fix

Word of the wise.. Buy a few samples of these first before buying a big bottle. I personally believe they aren't a supplement you should be taking consistently either.. Far too many sides for a pre workout and the after effects make you feel dreadful.

Just gonna stick to a good ol coffee

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yep always a good idea to check bp and see how it's looking when you are getting those tension headaches. Like you said you may just want to ditch it and use another pre if the tension headaches continue.