Pre Workout Protocol

Hypnotic traveling

Hypnotic traveling

Awards
  • First Up Vote
What would be the ideal pre workout nutrition protocol? How many carbs and protein, how many hours before? Are intra workout carbs essential if I’m unfed, if so how many?

I train twice per week (all I have time for at the moment unfortunately) -after work on Friday evenings and Sundays. Friday’s are usually up in the air for me, we eat at work around 1230 (roughly 50g protein and 50 grams carbs) then I get to the gym directly from work at about 6 unfed. As I typed this I’m asking myself wtf don’t I have protein bars for the car ride to the gym on fridays. Sunday’s I normally wake up around 6 and get to the gym at 7, slamming a protein shake and eating a banana before getting out of the door.

So I feel like my system is lacking and I’m looking to improve it, any pointers would be helpful. Could anyone refer me to resources regarding ideal pre, and intra workout nutrition in regards to performance? Thanks!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
There is no cut and dry answer here. It is impossible to say X calories, protein, or carbs is ideal
For every situation and every human our metabolism is not made the same
The current goal is not always the same.
The training plan, and cardio protocol is not always the same.

Trying to provide a black and white answer here is meaningless (sorry to be blunt, but that is the truth).

Putting your body into an optimal state would be ideal to provide a P/C pre based meal and then following that up with another.
Putting the bulk of your carbs peri-workout (pre/post) is always the best gameplan.
How much? Well it depends. Someone who is 120 pounds may not need someone who is 200 pounds
Someone who can't handle much food may take in no pre-workout carbs and only post-workout carbs i (or vice versa) f they are on a very limited caloric deficit.

The real answer is -- It depends.
Is the food digesting properly? if not you will have to modify the sources
are you getting adequate rest? This is key for putting the body into an optimal state
I could go on and on with dozens of questions, but there is no true answer that takes a lot of fine turning for what is giving you the best success in the gym.

As far as good sources for information. There are tons on this forum which I can direct you to below:

Hypnotic traveling

Hypnotic traveling

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for your response and all of the resources @The Solution! So it just boils down trial and error to find what works best for me and my goals. Currently I’m trying to add size and strength without too much fat (clean bulk i suppose). Any recommendations for products to enhance digestion?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Find the root issue of things that bloat you
remove them
and then assess with the food sources you are using
Journal your intake, see how you feel before and after meals. if you find particular meals causing GI Distress play the elimination game with what you are eating in those meals and adjust until digestion improves.

Everyone always wants to jump to pills and powders, but you have to fix the sources you are eating to make sure the GI tract is absorbing those nutrients.