Pre-internet era steroid use, what was it like?

Lionheart1776

Awards
  • Established
So I find quite few threads that go back to 2001-2006ish from various forums and many of them understandably contain very out dated technical information, that being said they also have a lot of cultural practices similar to what we see today in forums. The ritual of of listing ones stats and history of lifting seems to be common practice from the earliest days of threads. I’m guessing so that the community members of the board can be satisfied that the individual in question has any business touching AAS in the first place before they offer any advice to them. I also notice a common theme among lifers who post in forms to stigmatize or at least strongly discourage lifers who are planning on using gear in a reckless or wasteful manner.

Some other practices I see across time and across almost every board are a strong emphasis on dieting and training first, strong emphasis on using the proper ancillarys including planning a PCT course before ones starts their cycle, strong advocation for a test only cycle for beginning AAS users, and strong encouragement from most communities for their users to run regular blood work.

I think it’s interesting how strongly a lot of the communities seem to emphasize safe and effective usage of AAS, I don’t understand culture very well, most of the unseen communications that happen between people both online and off are invisible to me. To me this is in large part because my brain processing information differently than that of most peoples. For example have a hard time telling the difference between a a whey protein shake and and 1ml shot of test, due to the fact that my brain puts both in the category of bodybuilding augments. My perspective on things is so different from most other peoples on these forums that I decided I want to gain a broader perspective on steroid use and and it’s culture.

I though a fun place to start would be exploring what steroid use was like through the decades before forums like these were present for AAS users to meet each other and discuss safe and effective practices. I read quite a few scattered anecdotes here and there of people doing things that are now well know to be very dangerous and a waste of gear to boot. Some of the most entertaining and fascinating anecdotes I read were quite a few examples of extended DBOL usage (sometimes lasting over a year) with the user still going about their life in a normal way doing things like consuming alcohol and paying very little mind to it. I also though some of the early tren stories were pretty crazy to read about, quite a few lifters during the earlier days of tren use reported running very long tren only cycles for no other reason then the melted down caddle implants just happened to be the easiest AAS to get a hold of for them and sometimes the only way people knew how to get a hold of any AAS at all.

I saw plenty of stories of re-using needles, of course few ran AI’s, there was no cheap online blood-work for a user to check their health markers, and PCT if it was even around at the earlier time period in question was never mentioned, so those who ran cycles must have simply just went cold turkey and hoped for the best? Must have been some wild days for sure. I wonder if the current community of AAS users place such a strong emphases on safe and effective use because some of the older members of the forums might have lived through the “wild west days” of AAS use and know the perils it can bring.

I was wondering if any of the users on this forum could share what AAS use in the 90’s and further back was like. Some of the things I curious about are how users gathered their information pertaining to AAS use and how accurate the information was by modern standards. Was the information shared among lifters mostly bro science or were the basics well understood during that time period? What kind of though process went into the decision to start using gear during the time period? How did one go about acquiring information about the use of AAS, was it mostly conjecture between lifters who knew each other at the gym? Or what there some kind of magazine/coach that acted as a central hub of information on the topic? What were the practices of acquiring AAS like? Did you order them from overseas, did a guy at your gym sell them to you? Was the dealer your only source of information on their use in the area you lived in? What were some of the health problems encountered by the incorrect use of AAS and how well informed were users during that time period on them? For example running DBOL for 15 months or tren only for a year must have put quite a strain on the body and mind, especially with no ancillarys to manage sides or blood work to know where one stood health wise.

Please feel free to share any thoughts or stories you remember on the subject, and if you have any thoughts about the modern AAS practices in relation please feel free to share them too. My goal of this thread is to gather perspective on the topic, I find it to be very fascinating and want to understand what day to day life would have been like for a lifer on AAS in that period and also to understand how most well informed and experienced AAS users today go about the practice of gear use in relation.

As someone who suddenly found themselves as a member in such an unlikely community, I feel like it is a shame to know so little about it’s history and culture. Four months ago, if someone were to tell me they were a bodybuilder I would have assumed they were crazy because my very literal and visually oriented mind would have pictured them nailing arms onto a torso or something, lol.

As someone who went most of their life never having heard of this sport, to now have my entire life structured around it’s practices is quite an odd place to find ones self in. And to keep this thread on topic on want to address anyone who read my last thread where I admitted to running a test cycle from day one of my training, I am now back on my doctor prescribed TRT and decided to stay below 200 mgs a week of test for at rest of my first year of training (the next 8-9 months). I figure everyone wouldn’t be so upset with my choice to hop on so gear so early unless it were extremely ill-advised choice which reflected poorly on me as a novice bodybuilder.

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You legitimately have low testosterone at the age of 22? That’s young.

I remember watching an interview with Dorian Yates and he said there were a couple books he used to guide his AAS use back in the 90s. During the 70s, a lot of the top bodybuilders we’re getting pharma grade AAS prescribed to them by a doctor. Arnold only ever used primo, deca, and dbol. All were available by prescription.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Definitely sounds like it was a Wild West where you knew whatever was shared with you - you only know what you have been taught or can seek out, right? It was so taboo that people didn’t openly discuss it generally.

I have heard stories of guys who were competitors in the same competition and one would take 250mg test for the last 6 weeks before a comp and come off cold turkey til the next one, while another just stayed on grams at a time of everything they could get.

There was an interview with someone on Palumbo’s RX Muscle where he said he took Anadrol for 3-4 years straight. He now has to deal with organ failure.

Definitely something to be grateful for - the guys who explored the boundaries so we don’t have to sacrifice ourselves.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Definitely sounds like it was a Wild West where you knew whatever was shared with you - you only know what you have been taught or can seek out, right? It was so taboo that people didn’t openly discuss it generally.

I have heard stories of guys who were competitors in the same competition and one would take 250mg test for the last 6 weeks before a comp and come off cold turkey til the next one, while another just stayed on grams at a time of everything they could get.

There was an interview with someone on Palumbo’s RX Muscle where he said he took Anadrol for 3-4 years straight. He now has to deal with organ failure.

Definitely something to be grateful for - the guys who explored the boundaries so we don’t have to sacrifice ourselves.
Back in the day, I learned the most from Bodybuilding mags, and a little from word of mouth.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Back in the day, I learned the most from Bodybuilding mags, and a little from word of mouth.
I love when I get a chance to talk lifting with the older guard - if you get someone who wants to tell their tales, let them! There tends to be more truth than exaggeration - what guys did for diet, what they took, how they trained, the culture of their gym.

There’s a lot of bad stories, no doubt. Stories of guys putting baby powder in people’s chalk or offering guys DMSO they had put morphine in on the day of competition. People who were eating and snorting more test powder because they were already taking 3+ grams and it wasn’t seeming to do anymore to pin more. Heard a story about a guy who took tren non-stop and looked like a Greek god they said - til he died convulsing on the gym floor when his heart rate just kept rising.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I love when I get a chance to talk lifting with the older guard - if you get someone who wants to tell their tales, let them! There tends to be more truth than exaggeration - what guys did for diet, what they took, how they trained, the culture of their gym.

There’s a lot of bad stories, no doubt. Stories of guys putting baby powder in people’s chalk or offering guys DMSO they had put morphine in on the day of competition. People who were eating and snorting more test powder because they were already taking 3+ grams and it wasn’t seeming to do anymore to pin more. Heard a story about a guy who took tren non-stop and looked like a Greek god they said - til he died convulsing on the gym floor when his heart rate just kept rising.
Crazy stuff !!

One of the reasons I think Arnold is so iconic is not just what he achieved in the sport but what he’s done past it. The man looks amazing for his age these days and to my knowledge has no adverse health issues. There’s a man who seemingly did it right at a time when no one really knew what right looked like, could have been luck or intuition but regardless he’s an impressive guy imo

Lionheart1776

Awards
  • Established

I remember watching an interview with Dorian Yates and he said there were a couple books he used to guide his AAS use back in the 90s. During the 70s, a lot of the top bodybuilders we’re getting pharma grade AAS prescribed to them by a doctor. Arnold only ever used primo, deca, and dbol. All were available by prescription.
Yep, I tested below or just over 200 3 times in year from 20-21, therapy failed to bring me up too. Had a brain scan and stuff, turns out mine was just genetic variance. Some dudes are just outliers when it comes to natural production, happened to be one of them. And wow, that's right the pros back then did get them from doctors. One this I am curious about is I never saw any gyno on Arnold and I'm guessing he wasn't using baby dosages of Deca and Dbol either, I'm very curios how he managed that, did he probably get have his glands removed? Or was he just lucky enough to not get that as a side, because they didn't have any AIs back then, did they?

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Crazy stuff !!

One of the reasons I think Arnold is so iconic is not just what he achieved in the sport but what he’s done past it. The man looks amazing for his age these days and to my knowledge has no adverse health issues. There’s a man who seemingly did it right at a time when no one really knew what right looked like, could have been luck or intuition but regardless he’s an impressive guy imo
He’s had a lot of heart problems. I believe his first heart surgery was around the age of 49 or 50 and he just had another very recently.

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yep, I tested below or just over 200 3 times in year from 20-21, therapy failed to bring me up too. Had a brain scan and stuff, turns out mine was just genetic variance. Some dudes are just outliers when it comes to natural production, happened to be one of them. And wow, that's right the pros back then did get them from doctors. One this I am curious about is I never saw any gyno on Arnold and I'm guessing he wasn't using baby dosages of Deca and Dbol either, I'm very curios how he managed that, did he probably get have his glands removed? Or was he just lucky enough to not get that as a side, because they didn't have any AIs back then, did they?
I too wonder how none of the guys from the golden era of bodybuilding had gyno.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I too wonder how none of the guys from the golden era of bodybuilding had gyno.
None of the handful you remember in their photo shoot pictures show gyno. The rules of physiology still applied, and some guys have definitely gotten gyno as long as they’ve used anabolics.

KingAnt

KingAnt

Awards
  • Established

Do you remember where you saw those interviews?
I'd like to check em out.
Love watching interviews with legends.
Joe rogan had Dorian Yates on last year. Great podcast, check it out.

KingAnt

KingAnt

Awards
  • Established
So I find quite few threads that go back to 2001-2006ish from various forums and many of them understandably contain very out dated technical information, that being said they also have a lot of cultural practices similar to what we see today in forums. The ritual of of listing ones stats and history of lifting seems to be common practice from the earliest days of threads. I’m guessing so that the community members of the board can be satisfied that the individual in question has any business touching AAS in the first place before they offer any advice to them. I also notice a common theme among lifers who post in forms to stigmatize or at least strongly discourage lifers who are planning on using gear in a reckless or wasteful manner.

Some other practices I see across time and across almost every board are a strong emphasis on dieting and training first, strong emphasis on using the proper ancillarys including planning a PCT course before ones starts their cycle, strong advocation for a test only cycle for beginning AAS users, and strong encouragement from most communities for their users to run regular blood work.

I think it’s interesting how strongly a lot of the communities seem to emphasize safe and effective usage of AAS, I don’t understand culture very well, most of the unseen communications that happen between people both online and off are invisible to me. To me this is in large part because my brain processing information differently than that of most peoples. For example have a hard time telling the difference between a a whey protein shake and and 1ml shot of test, due to the fact that my brain puts both in the category of bodybuilding augments. My perspective on things is so different from most other peoples on these forums that I decided I want to gain a broader perspective on steroid use and and it’s culture.

I though a fun place to start would be exploring what steroid use was like through the decades before forums like these were present for AAS users to meet each other and discuss safe and effective practices. I read quite a few scattered anecdotes here and there of people doing things that are now well know to be very dangerous and a waste of gear to boot. Some of the most entertaining and fascinating anecdotes I read were quite a few examples of extended DBOL usage (sometimes lasting over a year) with the user still going about their life in a normal way doing things like consuming alcohol and paying very little mind to it. I also though some of the early tren stories were pretty crazy to read about, quite a few lifters during the earlier days of tren use reported running very long tren only cycles for no other reason then the melted down caddle implants just happened to be the easiest AAS to get a hold of for them and sometimes the only way people knew how to get a hold of any AAS at all.

I saw plenty of stories of re-using needles, of course few ran AI’s, there was no cheap online blood-work for a user to check their health markers, and PCT if it was even around at the earlier time period in question was never mentioned, so those who ran cycles must have simply just went cold turkey and hoped for the best? Must have been some wild days for sure. I wonder if the current community of AAS users place such a strong emphases on safe and effective use because some of the older members of the forums might have lived through the “wild west days” of AAS use and know the perils it can bring.

I was wondering if any of the users on this forum could share what AAS use in the 90’s and further back was like. Some of the things I curious about are how users gathered their information pertaining to AAS use and how accurate the information was by modern standards. Was the information shared among lifters mostly bro science or were the basics well understood during that time period? What kind of though process went into the decision to start using gear during the time period? How did one go about acquiring information about the use of AAS, was it mostly conjecture between lifters who knew each other at the gym? Or what there some kind of magazine/coach that acted as a central hub of information on the topic? What were the practices of acquiring AAS like? Did you order them from overseas, did a guy at your gym sell them to you? Was the dealer your only source of information on their use in the area you lived in? What were some of the health problems encountered by the incorrect use of AAS and how well informed were users during that time period on them? For example running DBOL for 15 months or tren only for a year must have put quite a strain on the body and mind, especially with no ancillarys to manage sides or blood work to know where one stood health wise.

Please feel free to share any thoughts or stories you remember on the subject, and if you have any thoughts about the modern AAS practices in relation please feel free to share them too. My goal of this thread is to gather perspective on the topic, I find it to be very fascinating and want to understand what day to day life would have been like for a lifer on AAS in that period and also to understand how most well informed and experienced AAS users today go about the practice of gear use in relation.

As someone who suddenly found themselves as a member in such an unlikely community, I feel like it is a shame to know so little about it’s history and culture. Four months ago, if someone were to tell me they were a bodybuilder I would have assumed they were crazy because my very literal and visually oriented mind would have pictured them nailing arms onto a torso or something, lol.

As someone who went most of their life never having heard of this sport, to now have my entire life structured around it’s practices is quite an odd place to find ones self in. And to keep this thread on topic on want to address anyone who read my last thread where I admitted to running a test cycle from day one of my training, I am now back on my doctor prescribed TRT and decided to stay below 200 mgs a week of test for at rest of my first year of training (the next 8-9 months). I figure everyone wouldn’t be so upset with my choice to hop on so gear so early unless it were extremely ill-advised choice which reflected poorly on me as a novice bodybuilder.
Check out "pumping iron" bro. Great video and will give you some nice visuals of the time period, equipment, mentalities, and over all style.

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established

3-4 years of drol? Good lord

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
Check out "pumping iron" bro. Great video and will give you some nice visuals of the time period, equipment, mentalities, and over all style.
Great movie. The first movie I watched before my first cycle years ago lol

Newth

Awards
I ordered a couple of steroid books from healthfood and book shops, would religiously buy International Muscle Mag, new some peeps with REAL experience(BBrs, Strongmen and Strippers) and had a very knowledgeable doctor for about a year.

Doses I know of being used outside of elite classes were...
Test 250-750/w
Deca 250-600/w
EQ 250-800/w
Winstrol 25-50/eod
Clen 80-160mcg/d
Nolva 10-20/d

This is pretty much what I can remember off the top of my head.

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
I don't recall off the top of my head, but I think Arnold may have discussed it in his encyclopedia of bodybuilding book

Newth

Awards
I don't recall off the top of my head, but I think Arnold may have discussed it in his encyclopedia of bodybuilding book
I bought it but 2 weeks later a mate loaned it...the end.
I was so dirty.

Lionheart1776

Awards
  • Established
Great movie. The first movie I watched before my first cycle years ago lol
I recently saw in too, they might just have been putting on a show for the camera. But wow, it sure looked like they were having fun back in those days, I particularly though it was cool to see all of the guys chilling with each other and having fun even thou they were competing with each other, although I vaguely remember a scene where Arnold admitted to giving someone else bad advice in order to trip them up on stage or something. So it wasn't all fun and games all the time. I just tried to picture William Bonac and Phil Heath shooting the **** together in the gym for a couple hours and then hitting the beach or something afterwards to to chill out, and uh, yeah, I don't see any modern equivalent, lol. Althou who knows what the pros are like among themselves when they go over to Oxygen Gym or what ever the "Golds Gym Venice" of these days is.

Though it was also cool that Arnold enjoy lighting up a joint after a hard training session too, marijuana has been a life saver for me personally in terms of getting enough food down and knocking off any pre-workout stim edginess, but also hitting the gym a little stoned every now and then too can be a lot of fun if you can keep the intensity up still. Mk-677 works for appetite too of course, but to damn much for me personally. Weed is the perfect happy medium.

Lionheart1776

Awards
  • Established
My mom actually grabbed me an old tattered up copy of it she saw at the used bookstore, I just scanned through the table of contents and it pretty much touches on every possible thing related to bodybuilding imaginable. Except the drugs, go figure lol. It does briefly(6 pages out of 800 or so) go into their potential side effects and stuff like that, but no useful information or anything exciting about how the pro's of the era went about using them. Must of been to much of a stigma to go into depth on the subject, then again it's like not like pro's thees days talk to much about them either. A lot of really cool black and white pictures thou, and definitely a not a bad source to go to for over all well rounded information, I see some sections on stuff like publicity and politics, and there is a TON of old school training techniques in it.

Lionheart1776

Awards
  • Established

He might have used Parabolan(old school tren?) too, I haven't nailed down any good sources on the subject yet. But I'm inclined to believe it after looking at this photo of him. Arnold's very hard and grainy in this picture for sure, which considering the look that made him famous was a much more full and round bellied physique with almost no grainyness at all in comparison, I very curious to see if there is any more photos of Arnold in this condition. Does anyone know what year this was from?
Arnold on PArabolab.png

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
He might have used Parabolan(old school tren?) too, I haven't nailed down any good sources on the subject yet. But I'm inclined to believe it after looking at this photo of him. Arnold's very hard and grainy in this picture for sure, which considering the look that made him famous was a much more full and round bellied physique with almost no grainyness at all in comparison, I very curious to see if there is any more photos of Arnold in this condition. Does anyone know what year this was from?View attachment 170111
This isn't a knock on Arnie at all. He was AMAZING. But on the topic of full muscle bellies....Ferigno ruled.

Wow....he was lean and dry in that pic!

Lionheart1776

Awards
  • Established
He might have used Parabolan(old school tren?) too, I haven't nailed down any good sources on the subject yet. But I'm inclined to believe it after looking at this photo of him. Arnold's very hard and grainy in this picture for sure, which considering the look that made him famous was a much more full and round bellied physique with almost no grainyness at all in comparison, I very curious to see if there is any more photos of Arnold in this condition. Does anyone know what year this was from?View attachment 170111

I'm guessing this is him on the high DBOL and high Deca for comparison. Very huge, but you can tell he has an entire ocean sucked up into his muscles. lol
ASoffseasonbulk.jpg

Bintherduntht

Bintherduntht

Awards
  • Established
I'm guessing this is him on the high DBOL and high Deca for comparison. Very huge, but you can tell he has an entire ocean sucked up into his muscles. lolView attachment 170112
Top definitely looks like parabolan arnold, and bottom yea totally deca dbol. I've used tren hex its nice because I only had to inject once a week to every 2 weeks