Powerlifting program?

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys im looking for a proven effective strength training program. This week im nailing down my maxes to get my working percentages off and would like some help finding a tried and true strength program

jackedviking

jackedviking

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Stronglifts, bro! Lol! Jk. Subbed for answers.

jackedviking

jackedviking

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Crazy nobody has responded. Hope my joke didn’t derail this thread.

I don’t know a terrible amount about good programs as I’ve only done the basic SL 5x5 years ago.

I’ve heard good things about Grey Skull (spelling?) and the Texas Method. But I’m in the same boat as you as I’m currently just smashing weights.

wesb2387

wesb2387

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hey guys im looking for a proven effective strength training program. This week im nailing down my maxes to get my working percentages off and would like some help finding a tried and true strength program
Smolov is a pretty brutal squat program. Tough but it works. A lot of guys seem to also like the 5/3/1 program.

mountain1

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I just finished the Smolov Jr for the bench press, and it was very brutal for the 3 weeks, but it really paid off for me. I hit a new, good form, PR-370!! Plus I am almost 50, and it was pretty tough on the joints, but not too bad.

Good Luck with whatever you choose!

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
5x5 works
JTS has good ones
531 is my favorite for a first program..

Starting strength was my first powerlifting book.

Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Awards
Hey Christ, here's something you'll never hear from anybody but me...

Doug Hepburn's training system. I recommend getting his autobiography, Strongman: The Doug Hepburn Story. In the last few pages of the book, he wrote the entirety of his training system. Great stuff...

I just thought I'd mention it because it's so damn underrated. It's real old-school lifting. Doug is a pioneer in powerlifting training.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Hey Christ, here's something you'll never hear from anybody but me...

Doug Hepburn's training system. I recommend getting his autobiography, Strongman: The Doug Hepburn Story. In the last few pages of the book, he wrote the entirety of his training system. Great stuff...

I just thought I'd mention it because it's so damn underrated. It's real old-school lifting. Doug is a pioneer in powerlifting training.
Hey cool maybe ill look into that

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
5/3/1 game over..... There are some many different ways to utilize 5/3/1 with different assistance templates. You can do 5/3/1 and work on your sprinting speed as assistance, your mobility, you can work on supplemental lifts to your main lifts to bring up weak areas, you can do a body building type split for you assistance while forcing progressive overload on main lifts. Combos are endless.

bronx220

bronx220

Awards
Had really great sucess with 5th set and 5/3/1 .... now i just follow programming from CWS since i go to his gym...pm me with an email and I'll shoot u a couple of excel sheets of my last couple meet preps and off season to give u some ideas

Physiqz

Awards
You should utilize a program that runs on daily undulating periodization. Not all periodization is created equal and in my experience this has worked the best. For example, on monday you might do triples at 80%, and then on thursday do sets of 5 at 75%. Then of course you have linear progression built in with conjugation/westside elements to keep things fresh and progressing without hitting plateaus. Here's one I have used with great results along with several friends: physiqz[dot]com/training-plans/8-week-powerlifting-program/ (sorry i can't post links and don't want to break any forum rules). If you are looking to peak for a competition, i have also had great results running a short 3-4 week bulgarian cycle to maximize top-end strength.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You should utilize a program that runs on daily undulating periodization. Not all periodization is created equal and in my experience this has worked the best. For example, on monday you might do triples at 80%, and then on thursday do sets of 5 at 75%. Then of course you have linear progression built in with conjugation/westside elements to keep things fresh and progressing without hitting plateaus. Here's one I have used with great results along with several friends: physiqz[dot]com/training-plans/8-week-powerlifting-program/ (sorry i can't post links and don't want to break any forum rules). If you are looking to peak for a competition, i have also had great results running a short 3-4 week bulgarian cycle to maximize top-end strength.
Yes sir.
That's how people get strong.
I wish I would've started training that way wen I was 18.

thorsdad31

thorsdad31

Awards
  • Established
D.u.p. it what I've been doing and it's been awesome I got my cousin training that way he's 22 years old 5"4 160 lbs he just put up 225 on flat bench after 4 weeks of training his previous max was 185 barley

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Undulating is mandatory.
But not for the novice.
You can just keep tacking on 5-10 lbs for many weeks while the body and brain get the lift down.
Once you plateau you should undulate with a 25% decrease in weight and linearly progresses again.
After the second plateau the program can more complex.
At least that what I is usually start noobs with

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm a huge fan of the Westside Conjugate Method, and it can be tailored for specific sports and goals.

I've done Starting Strength (which is really aggressive and can be brutal regardless of the name), 5/3/1, 5x5 and Westside. They are all very different, it all depends on where you're at and what your goals are. 5/3/1 is not a starter program as it only focuses on very long, slow but constant progression (but it can also be customized for speed/size/etc). It's for seasoned powerlifters. Starting strength and 5x5 are more aggressive, and periodized. But I found Westside conjugate method to be the most adjustable method. It can focus on everything, strength, size, speed, agility - if these are your goals.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm a huge fan of the Westside Conjugate Method, and it can be tailored for specific sports and goals.

I've done Starting Strength (which is really aggressive and can be brutal regardless of the name), 5/3/1, 5x5 and Westside. They are all very different, it all depends on where you're at and what your goals are. 5/3/1 is not a starter program as it only focuses on very long, slow but constant progression (but it can also be customized for speed/size/etc). It's for seasoned powerlifters. Starting strength and 5x5 are more aggressive, and periodized. But I found Westside conjugate method to be the most adjustable method. It can focus on everything, strength, size, speed, agility - if these are your goals.
Disagree....respectfully.
Starting strength is a beginner program.
It would be very brutal to try if you already had good numbers.
Its a program to learn the lifts and continue linearly untill you have a grasp on how to perform big lifts correctly and build strength while doing it.
If a seasoned lifter just started adding 5lbs a week it wouldn't work.
If you are seasoned and want to try it.
You start at 55-65% of max.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Starting strength is for beginners yes - but the poundage goes up quickly. I wasn't suggesting it for seasoned powerlifters because they would not be able to handle how fast the poundage rises. There is also no way this program can be done (properly) without being in bulk mode either.

I've been lifting for years, but this was the first powerlifting program I used, even when my numbers were ok at the time. I had to eat like a horse to handle recovery on this program. Nothing made my numbers jump so fast like this program did, but it was a 1 time program. I'll never run it again unless I have to stop lifting for a period of time due to an injury etc.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
IMO: fresh out of the gate brand new to training go starting strength or strong lifts 5x5. Most of the rest of the population of lifters would do very well with 531 on any of wendlers many different templates. Once you are out of “intermediate” territory and you can confidently say (based on your 1rms) that you are advanced or elite, then I would say complex programming like Westside would be worth while....
The whole idea should be to absolutely squeeze every drop of strength gains out of each level of programming... That’s my opinion anyway.
https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Starting strength is for beginners yes - but the poundage goes up quickly. I wasn't suggesting it for seasoned powerlifters because they would not be able to handle how fast the poundage rises. There is also no way this program can be done (properly) without being in bulk mode either.

I've been lifting for years, but this was the first powerlifting program I used, even when my numbers were ok at the time. I had to eat like a horse to handle recovery on this program. Nothing made my numbers jump so fast like this program did, but it was a 1 time program. I'll never run it again unless I have to stop lifting for a period of time due to an injury etc.
Absolutely.
It only works for total noobies.
Who should be gaining weight too.

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I used it once also
It won't work again

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used it once also
It won't work again
Agreed. Once I got my deadlift to ~450# I switched from starting strength to 5/3/1 (periodization method). I loved that for a while but once I found Westside, it fit me perfectly. I love the variety in WS too and how I'm able to hit everything twice a week (with max effort and dynamic effort days).

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agreed. Once I got my deadlift to ~450# I switched from starting strength to 5/3/1 (periodization method). I loved that for a while but once I found Westside, it fit me perfectly. I love the variety in WS too and how I'm able to hit everything twice a week (with max effort and dynamic effort days).
I don't have the access to all the equipment to run west side.
I got the basics never even used a deadliftbar.
I'm just cutting and running a hypertrophy block untill June.
Then I will make a 531 version block where I try and peak in 9-12 weeks.
But ill bench 3xs a week.
Squat twice
Deadlifts once.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't have the access to all the equipment to run west side.
I got the basics never even used a deadliftbar.
I'm just cutting and running a hypertrophy block untill June.
Then I will make a 531 version block where I try and peak in 9-12 weeks.
But ill bench 3xs a week.
Squat twice
Deadlifts once.
I meant to reply to this before but forgot. I also don’t have all the equipment but was following a modified template that they provided. It was a modified Westside for Skinny Bastards program, with DE/ME days. Basically a hybrid powerlifting/bodybuilding/agility program. I had stopped it for a while but might jump back on once I cut weight.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Another vote for the 5/3/1 because of the array of ways to run it. Simply look at the tools at your disposal and stay dedicated and the numbers will improve.