Powerlifting noob?

Gdub17

Gdub17

Awards
My 14 year old son just started powerlifting this summer at his high school. I am interested in joining him because the iron game was a big part of my life from age 23-29. I trained as a natural recreational bodybuilder just for fun. My best lifts were 365 x 5 for squats,
405 x1 for deadlifts and 275 x 11 on bench. I’ve never powerlifted before but enjoy the big three lifts. Just looking for good advice as to how I should start because my son wants to train with me. I’m currently 5’9” at 176 lbs fwiw. Thanks for any good feedback💪 I’m also committed to being lifetime natty and I’m 52 if that matters. I’ve been doing calisthenics for the past few years with solid strength gains. Thanks

Last edited:
botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I am 54 and still powerlift. Glad you have been focused on calisthenics. I suggest the following: Work on that conditioning (i.e. sled pulling and pushing walking forward and backward, carries, battles ropes, lunges, ton's differing floor work and un-even mobility work, "calisthenics" etc...) or you will fall apart. Put conditioning first and the lifts second. Yoru son should be doing the exact same thing. To start, follow Brian Carrol / Stewart McGill, Knee's over toes guy, Tom Morrision (all on youtube). Vary the conditiong and lift speed (reps) and strength for three week cycles. Indroduce new and different conditioning stimuli weekly. Focus on your weakpoints and definitely not on your strong points. Every movement you do should have a purpose to make you stronger and not weaker. Otherwise, your wasting your time and lining yourself up for a world of pain and rustration. I basically do 1) a weight lifting day followed by a 2) conditioning day and then 3) a long walk day and then 4) a day off and then repeat. I reduce conditioning intensity when I am focused on weights intensity (3 week cycles) and vice versa. I dismissed "weekly" programs long ago and now do less instead of more and I am stronger than ever. Message me if you have any questions. Best of luck on your quest. What a great thing for a father and son to do.

Battousai

Awards
Been powerlifting for years myself. I like the above recommendation. You go into a powerlifting gym, a lot of time they will have the new guys doing conditioning like sled pulls, farmer walks, prowler, and core work like good mornings, reverse hypers, glute ham raises. One recommendation I would have is to work the posterior chain more so, view this as your "accessory" work for the bench, deadlift, squat. Think triceps, lats/traps, low back, and hamstrings. This not only helps you work on weaknesses and performance, but it's just great for overall performance. You should check out Matt Wenning on youtube, his information can't be matched. I also like Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 system and then you have the whole Conjugate system that utilizes dynamic effort that people like Matt Wenning, Dave Tate, and Louie Simmons used in Westside (which I'm not as familiar with).

SSJ4GOD

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Take some roids and never let your son beat you! Stay on top king!