Powerlifitng bench form

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
So I've been working with just the shoulders back and down but could never get the hang of getting my legs into the lift. Recently I've had the pleasure to get some tips from a living legend at my gym who used to almost bench 3x his bodyweight and he's been helping alot with form and I can get some nice leg drive but obviously my arch is much more pronounced that before and I can feel the tension on my back/lower back during the lift and then after and sometimes if its a heavy session the day after. My question is am I damaging my back at all I mean I know nothing is completely 100% safe but am I gonna be messed up later in life because of it. I don't really know how to put it in words but I'm willing to make the sacrifice if its just gonna be uncomfortable and not do any real damage but if I'm gonna really **** something up I probably will change it. Any and all advice on this topic is welcome. Thank you and God Bless.

Joe_P

Awards
I have never heard of anyone damaging their back and I have trained with 3 800 benchers. Not saying it cannot happen though. My back was definitely sore when I started arching. Now I am benching raw I don't arch as much and keep my feet flat on the floor.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
op, its your breathing messing up your form. when you unrack the weight, you need to hold your breath the entire time and imagine pushing your belly out your penis. it sounds stupid, but it tightens your lumbar so you dont balance the bar on it.

next tme you bring the weight down, push your belly out as far as you can. itll be uncomfortable as hell, but itll save your lower back

this is also the reason you wont be able to go for reps with the powerlifting form. it gets pretty tiring after 3-5 lol

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
op, its your breathing messing up your form. when you unrack the weight, you need to hold your breath the entire time and imagine pushing your belly out your penis. it sounds stupid, but it tightens your lumbar so you dont balance the bar on it.

next tme you bring the weight down, push your belly out as far as you can. itll be uncomfortable as hell, but itll save your lower back

this is also the reason you wont be able to go for reps with the powerlifting form. it gets pretty tiring after 3-5 lol
I've heard of holding ur breath during the reps but wouldn't all that pressure in ur stomach give u a hernia?

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
I have never heard of anyone damaging their back and I have trained with 3 800 benchers. Not saying it cannot happen though. My back was definitely sore when I started arching. Now I am benching raw I don't arch as much and keep my feet flat on the floor.
Yea I try to only arch my upper back but I can't really tell if its my upper or lower and I too keep my feet planted

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm still tryin to get over the fact that Onion said penis

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
I've heard of holding ur breath during the reps but wouldn't all that pressure in ur stomach give u a hernia?
no. a hernia happens when you lift with your legs (usually from the ground) without exhaling, think deadlifts and squats. the diaphragm, full of air, pushes a muscle out of place, and theres the hernia

with the benchpress, all youre doing is tightening your core to brace your lumbar. theres no actual lower body movement aside from the small leg drive. your diaphragm doesnt move, so it wont push anything anywhere

if youve had a hernia already, then you might wanna be careful

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
no. a hernia happens when you lift with your legs (usually from the ground) without exhaling, think deadlifts and squats. the diaphragm, full of air, pushes a muscle out of place, and theres the hernia

with the benchpress, all youre doing is tightening your core to brace your lumbar. theres no actual lower body movement aside from the small leg drive. your diaphragm doesnt move, so it wont push anything anywhere

if youve had a hernia already, then you might wanna be careful
Thanks for that info and no I haven't had one but my father had one from lifting when he was younger so I'm always extra leary

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not really. It is possible to get a hernia from sneezing and or taking a dump and does not always have to do with breathing or not either. Yes, many times they can be genetic too, but to think it is only related to a certain kind of pushing with the legs, is not accurate. Weaknesses in the fascia walls that contain the intestines/etc. are generally the reasons and there can be a few differing kinds of hernias, pushing out, down or coming upwards. You can also get umbilical hernias as well.
I had a rt side inguinal mesh repair 12 years ago.
If you google it, you will get some accurate info on them.

IronTale

Awards
If you constantly push the limits of course you'll cause some damage here and there. Almost all professional athletes have some sort of an injury.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 32
Sage0607 Training Forum 43
Training Forum 3
Training Forum 4
Anabolics 2