Potassium nitrate KNO3 AR POWDER

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey,

I found this in bulk powder from an Australian supplier, and I'm wondering if it's the same compound in "pump" products?

Before you say why, it's only $14.99AU for 1KG.

Potassium nitrate KNO3 AR 1000g
Potassium nitrate KNO3 AR 1000g Potassium nitrate 1000g. AR grade, screw top lab bottle.

Synonyms: Saltpeter; niter; Nitric acid, potassium salt
CAS No.: 7757-79-1
Molecular Weight: 101.1
Chemical Formula: KNO3

DANGER! STRONG OXIDIZER. CONTACT WITH OTHER MATERIAL MAY CAUSE FIRE. HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED, INHALED OR ABSORBED THROUGH SKIN. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT.

Proper Shipping Name: POTASSIUM NITRATE
Hazard Class: 5.1
UN/NA: UN1486
Packing Group: III

Clearly says harmful if swallowed, but to me it looks like the same compound. What am I missing?

Haha I thought it was worth asking anyways! Thanks :D

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
I would NOT even think about using anything that isn't certified as "food grade." No telling what kind of contaminants could be in that. Lead, mercury, bacteria, etc etc.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would NOT even think about using anything that isn't certified as "food grade." No telling what kind of contaminants could be in that. Lead, mercury, bacteria, etc etc.
Hahaha, I emailed them and asked. Thanks for the reply tho! I wasn't going to buy, unless I was 100% sure it was fine!

Volvo140G

Volvo140G

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Keep us posted on the reply

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Make sure you are dosing vitamin c properly with it.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I found a source from America which says food grade, 500g for 15us. I'll wait to see what this Australian company says tomorrow. Will keep everyone posted.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just going to reiterate what others said because it's critically important.

Do not ever consume non food grade potassium nitrate. Depending on the exact industrial purpose, it could have any number of contaminants that are of no concern to an industrial process but major concern to you.

And this applies to any other supplement ingredient that has industrial uses as well.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just going to reiterate what others said because it's critically important.

Do not ever consume non food grade potassium nitrate. Depending on the exact industrial purpose, it could have any number of contaminants that are of no concern to an industrial process but major concern to you.

And this applies to any other supplement ingredient that has industrial uses as well.
I agree, I didn't even think of that when I was looking at it.

However as mentioned I did find a food grade source in America, which was still dirt cheap compared to buying it. I have no need for 500g+, I was just interested.