PostWorkout Shake/Carbs = HYPO every single time! WTF?!?

KtchnChmst

Awards
  • Established
HEllo gentlemen, Ive been noticing that EVERY SINGLE time I train and then consume my PostWorkout shake I'm in a state of Hypoglycemia almost exactly 60min later......! Heres some background......I'm currently coming out of a Ketogenic diet (which I LOVE and have been utilizing for 4-5seasons) so my overall Carb and Calorie intake has been slowly increasing......My typical PostWorkout regimen during Keto was simply Chicken and Almonds and I always felt great....In the attempt to gradually increase calories and slowly incorporate carbs back into the diet, I've been clumping them around my training. My protocol for the last 3 wks has been as follows: 1g Agmatine + 6g Citrulline + 5g Creatine PREWORKOUT........10g BCAAs + 20g Carbs (gatorade) INTRAWORKOUT. Then after training I consume 50g WheyIso + 20g Dextrose + 20g Maltodextrin + 5g Creatine + 100mg RALA. After 4-5 training days I noticed I was consistanly going HYPO at approx the 60min mark, so I began consuming my next Chicken/Vegetable/Almond meal at the 30min mark after my PostWorkout shake. I'm currently at the end of 2wks for this protocol and STILL going hypoglycemic at the 60min mark!! Now, my original plan was, after 3wks of just liquid/powder carbs around training I would then add a Chicken/Rice meal as the next feeding after my PostWorkout shake, then 2wks later add maybe some rice crispies or a banana to my Post Shake, with the overall goal being to reach and maintain approx 125-150g Carbs on training days for a lean bulk. My question is......WTF? I cannot state clearly enough that I am very Carb SENSITIVE and definitely benefit better from lower overall carbs, but WTF with this constant HYPO ****?......I've been training now for 15yrs, and I've ALWAYS used Dextrose and RALA in my Post Shakes........????? Should I slightly increase the amount of carbs PostWorkout?....Change the "type" of carbs?.....Add the Chicken/Rice meal now, instead of waiting another week?

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
It seems like the RALA is the only thing that might cause this. Try the exact same thing without the RALA and see if it happens then. If it doesn't, then either reduce/eliminate the RALA or add more carbs. If it still happens, then hopefully someone smarter than me can offer some advice :)

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
A couple of things. First, holy eye sore lol people will be much more apt to answer your questions if you use paragraphs.

Second, how do you know that you're gong into a state of hypoglycemia? Glucometer?

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
holy eye sore lol people will be much more apt to answer your questions if you use paragraphs.
I laffed, hard

Spaniard brings up very good point - how do you know this? if by "feel" sorry bud that just does not qualify

off-hand remark: why 5g creatine both pre & post? overkill...

as for carb sources: yes I used to think I was carb sensitive a long time ago myself, but have come to discover much about myself since, one of those things being that I was mistaken on carb-sensitive issue..
i currently ingest ~130g carbs from mostly liquid sources immediately postWO (wms, brown rice syrup, plain rice cakes and rice krispie treats crumbled into mixture, along with 50g isolate and my CreaTrona creatine) -- then, i follow with solid food feeding ~60min later, lower in carbs (still 60-80ish), higher in fats (~20g) and ~50-60g protein

maltodextrin is more than worthless IMO, and yes there is most definitely a difference in using some carbs and avoiding others -- you simply have to figure out for yourself which carb sources you personally respond better to

there is no perfect "blueprint" for every single person to use

as for RALA - meh, not a fan of any GDA or glucose-support type sup out there, for moderating carbs
if you want to use this solely as an anti-oxidant, then fine that is one thing; but use it away from your carb feedings and not with the intent of "cleaning up your dietary indiscretions"
consume your carbs when YOU WANT them, place them appropriately in diet

KtchnChmst

Awards
  • Established
LMAO
First......Thanksa for the responses.
Second.....I don't know what the problem was when I posted the thread, but the site wouldn't let me use the enter button to make paragraphs! LoL....seems to be fine now however!

As for "knowing" im going Hypo....its kinda hard to mistake!.....Dizzy/Light headed, blurry vision, cant think straight/concentrate, and sometimes it hard for me to comprise a coheirent sentence!.....And it always comes on 60min after the shake, and passes after about 20min.
I do however own a glucose meter, so I can begin to utilize that as well.

*And after 15years of bodybuilding, unlike alot of people who have just recently embraced the term Carb Sensitive as a catchy "buzzword" lately, im quite confident in my personal diagnosis.

**AS a side note......I've taken dextrose+maltodextrin with RALA postworkout for almost 10 years now.

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
LMAO
Second.....I don't know what the problem was when I posted the thread, but the site wouldn't let me use the enter button to make paragraphs! LoL....seems to be fine now however!

As for "knowing" im going Hypo....its kinda hard to mistake!.....Dizzy/Light headed, blurry vision, cant think straight/concentrate, and sometimes it hard for me to comprise a coheirent sentence!.....And it always comes on 60min after the shake, and passes after about 20min.

*And after 15years of bodybuilding, unlike alot of people who have just recently embraced the term Carb Sensitive as a catchy "buzzword" lately, im quite confident in my personal diagnosis.

**AS a side note......I've taken dextrose+maltodextrin with RALA postworkout for almost 10 years now.
Do you need to eat more carbs for the feeling to pass, or does it just pass on its own after 20 min?

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
LMAO

It's actually relatively easy to mistake other things for an actual hypoglycemic state, which is the reason I asked about a Glucometer. Are you a diabetic? Most GDA's, GDA ingredients and supps with GDA properties such as agmatine would have a pretty hard time inducing an actual state of hypoglycemia. Only way to truly know is the cut one, then the other see which may be giving you the issue.

All this is assuming you're in good health - no medications etc.

KtchnChmst

Awards
  • Established
All in good health...bloodwork/numbers are all great.

tyrub42.....like i said, i havent added another carb meal into my day yet, so it subsides after 20ish minutes all on its own.

Im going to omit the RALA this week and see how i feel.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 8
NattyForLife Weight Loss 25
nevergoodenough Recipes 0
Weight Loss 36
Weight Loss 0