Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
plastic water bottles are stored in warehouses, then they are put on trucks for delivery. it is possible they reach temperatures of 115% for hours. I wonder how much 'breakdown' those plastic bottles go thru?

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Not enough for me to care what’s it in

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Quick Google search said 50 billion bottles of water were sold last year. I'm not what you would call a "tree hugger", but I am an outdoorsman. Makes me wonder where all that plastic ends up.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Quick Google search said 50 billion bottles of water were sold last year. I'm not what you would call a "tree hugger", but I am an outdoorsman. Makes me wonder where all that plastic ends up.
A lot of people will say it goes back into circulation and becomes another water bottle. Well mostly recycled plastic is sent to China where it sometimes is melted for oil or just disposed of. As with all things, it makes it way to the ocean eventually or landfill.

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Apparently China doesn't want it anymore and is shipping it back.

Blows my mind we don't have enough of our own facilities to recycle.

John Oliver, Trevor Noah, and others have segments on it if you're interested.

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think @thebigt is wondering about how much of the plastic from the bottle is leeching into the water inside the bottle. Am I reading ya right, brother man?

jalfrey

jalfrey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think @thebigt is wondering about how much of the plastic from the bottle is leeching into the water inside the bottle. Am I reading ya right, brother man?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think this is a valid concern and we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss because it sounds silly. Not saying this is the mindset here, but I've read it other places. We already know that environmental factors have an enormous impact on our health from cancers to hormones, so why wouldn't we be conscious about plastics contaminating what we consume.

Personally, I have my own water bottle and switched over to metal.

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've always assumed they did. I don't trust any plastic for drinking purposes.

I prefer filtering my tap water personally.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
exactly...I read about how harmful microwaving plastic containers can be from breakdown-I haven't used any plastic in microwave for a long time. I am concerned about plastic bottles being exposed to heat.

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you want a real downer go read about how much plastic trash is in the oceans now. Also yes there is merit to plastic at high heat. This is why you shouldn't leave a plastic bottle of water in a hot car etc. over time and continue to use. It's fine at room temps.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If you want a real downer go read about how much plastic trash is in the oceans now. Also yes there is merit to plastic at high heat. This is why you shouldn't leave a plastic bottle of water in a hot car etc. over time and continue to use. It's fine at room temps.
I would think that plastic water bottles are stored in warehouses that aren't climate controlled? also trucks delivering from warehouses to stores get very hot.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I would think that plastic water bottles are stored in warehouses that aren't climate controlled? also trucks delivering from warehouses to stores get very hot.
I read something that said ever time a little
Leeches in, but I’m assuming not enough to really do damage.

TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I'd imagine its somewhere around as harmful as using 100+ year old city water pipes. Or somewhat less harmful than living in NY and simply walking outside.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'd imagine its somewhere around as harmful as using 100+ year old city water pipes. Or somewhat less harmful than living in NY and simply walking outside.
the whole purpose in buying bottled water is because city water[faucet taps]aren't safe...as for NY, no way.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Apparently China doesn't want it anymore and is shipping it back.

Blows my mind we don't have enough of our own facilities to recycle.

John Oliver, Trevor Noah, and others have segments on it if you're interested.
Yep, now so it gets shipped out to third world countries to deal with. We aren't as good at recycling as what the marketing tells us we are

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yep, now so it gets shipped out to third world countries to deal with. We aren't as good at recycling as what the marketing tells us we are
lol...if you look at streets of major cities in California you would think recycling does not exist.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
lol...if you look at streets of major cities in California you would think recycling does not exist.
It doesn’t there lol so many homeless people that they garbage trucks can’t get around