Phosphatidylserine….. My favorite Supplement.

klbsa

klbsa

Awards
  • First Up Vote
If you are not using this supplement then you def should.

One of the big problems with training (Especially Running and Rowing) is the HUGE spike of cortisol that follows after around 12 minutes and beyond. Cortisol spikes also occur during and after weight training as well, though not quite a high as with most cardio exercises.

I have read pretty much every study on the cortisol from the past 25 years…. It would seem that phosphatidylserine has been the only supplement proven to reduce cortisol levels enough to have a real impact during exercise, recovery and even just daily stress…… We are talking about cortisol reductions of up to 75%. This could be a especially useful to help hold onto gains during PCT when your body is dumping cortisol into your system due to the shock it’s going through.

Dosage: most studies used 600mg a day and got very positive results. I have been using this stuff for a long time and have dialed in my dosage to 1500mg right before training (4-5 times a week) The most obvious result for me is how much faster I recover my wind between sets and how much more stamina I have when running….. Not to mention that I gain better than most 25 year olds at age 45 even though my natural test levels are in the low 200’s when I’m not cycling.

Of course the claims are that it’s good for cognition, cellular repair and other things but I can’t say I’ve noticed any real differences is anything but my gains, and stamina….. Which is def good enough for me!

I have tried a bazillion different brands of the stuff and I can tell right away when it’s not good or bunk…. In fact I have only taken 4 brands that I believe are any good (I have no affiliation to any of these brands btw): The best ones are the GNC and Vit shoppe brands that are in liquid capsule form (Like vit e pills are)…… The problem is that they are very weak at 100mg per liqui-cap. So at the dosage that works for me it’s just not cost effective (it’s not the cheapest supplement) For the same price I now get 500mg capsules (dry capsules) in a brand called “longlifenutri” that I found at a local mom & pops supplement store about 30 mins from my house….. These are amazing and work REALLY well for me…. Not sure if they are available online but I’m sure they are. The other brand is one I found on Amazon called “NOW”….. They were liqui-caps but less mg than the dry caps and they are mixed with a few other ingredients that I don’t need.

Anyways, if anyone has any questions then shoot. Otherwise happy training!

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
The post training cortisol spike is not the same as chronically elevated cortisol due to stress, poor sleep, a medical condition, etc. We should not be overly concerned with the acute, transient, post training cortisol increase

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
But def agreed on the fact that it has its uses and actually has human data to support it

klbsa

klbsa

Awards
  • First Up Vote
The post training cortisol spike is not the same as chronically elevated cortisol due to stress, poor sleep, a medical condition, etc. We should not be overly concerned with the acute, transient, post training cortisol increase
The only difference is the duration of the spike…… But a post exercise cortisol spike is much higher than stress induced is. Being sore, limping after leg day will keep your levels up too…….. I disagree, If keeping your hard earned gains means anything to you than we should be concerned with ALL cortisol spiking, regardless of when it is. The good news is that phosphitidylserine is fat soluble and has a half life long enough to help suppress your cortisol levels throughout most of the day…… Including when daily stress is weighing on you.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Increases in post training cortisol have been linked to increases in LBM. I do agree that chronically elevated cortisol would be an issue, however acute increases due to a stimulus such as weight training don’t seem to be an issue.

Again, I agree that chronically elevated cortisol levels due to things such as stress can wreak havoc, but I just don’t find posttraining cortisol increases problematic

klbsa

klbsa

Awards
  • First Up Vote
The obvious "link" in post workout cortisol spikes and LBM is clearly the simple fact that a person just worked out in the first place...... Cortisol doesn't magically reverse its scientific and biological action because its after a workout...... Its the workout burning the fat, not the cortisol...... I would argue that lower cortisol level after a workout would only increase LBM even more in that same time period.

There is also a "Link" between people with gum disease and heat disease..... Your logic would say that the gum disease is causing the heart condition and not the lifestyle of smoking, eating like **** and not taking care of themselves that causes both gum disease AND heart disease.

Links and causes are VERY different things.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think you need to take a big step back and look at how physiological symptoms and actions work, you aren’t really grasping what Aaron is saying.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Fwiw I like this ingredient as well but there’s also a difference between things being beneficial acutely for training performance, long term adaptions, and positive influences on hypertrophy.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The obvious "link" in post workout cortisol spikes and LBM is clearly the simple fact that a person just worked out in the first place...... Cortisol doesn't magically reverse its scientific and biological action because its after a workout...... Its the workout burning the fat, not the cortisol...... I would argue that lower cortisol level after a workout would only increase LBM even more in that same time period.

There is also a "Link" between people with gum disease and heat disease..... Your logic would say that the gum disease is causing the heart condition and not the lifestyle of smoking, eating like **** and not taking care of themselves that causes both gum disease AND heart disease.

Links and causes are VERY different things.
The point is that cortisol is the only hormone that shows a correlation to gains. Physiological test and GH do not. Acute cortisol is not harmful and is actually highly beneficial.

I thought we were getting past demonizing cortisol, but I guess not yet.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
If it fits your needs and you have the proper expectations, that is honestly one of the absolute best for this ingredient (and a fat dose of Alpha-GPC).
Agreed. People might get turned away from the price tag, but they’re using two premium licensed ingredients.

After many years of using supplemental choline (mainly Focus XT), it just no longer agrees with me, therefore not the product for me. Great choice for those looking for choline + PS, though

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Don't forget that cortisol is responsible for a boatload of bodily functions, you can't just crush it completely.

Cortisol is responsible for regulating stress, it controls your metabolism by regulating how you use protein, fat and carbs. It also helps regulate your blood sugar and your blood pressure.

When your cortisol is too low you can get dizzy, have extreme fatigue, LOOSE MUSCLE AND MUSCLE WEAKNESS, mood swings and trouble thinking.

Severely low cortisol has negative effects on your brain and your mental health. Depression is a side effect of severely ow cortisol.

It's about balance, there's times when you want it low and the product this thread is about definitely has it's uses. But there's times when you need cortisol.

All I'm saying is don't go ham and try to crush your cortisol into the ground

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Don't forget that cortisol is responsible for a boatload of bodily functions, you can't just crush it completely.

Cortisol is responsible for regulating stress, it controls your metabolism by regulating how you use protein, fat and carbs. It also helps regulate your blood sugar and your blood pressure.

When your cortisol is too low you can get dizzy, have extreme fatigue, LOOSE MUSCLE AND MUSCLE WEAKNESS, mood swings and trouble thinking.

Severely low cortisol has negative effects on your brain and your mental health. Depression is a side effect of severely ow cortisol.

It's about balance, there's times when you want it low and the product this thread is about definitely has it's uses. But there's times when you need cortisol.

This is also why I’m a fan of herbs that lower cortisol through adaptogenic MOA’s. Ashwagandha, Rhodiola, Eurycoma, etc aren’t going to crush your cortisol from my read of the literature. They’re going to support your body during stressful times get back to equilibrium/homeostasis

ThaReal Big

ThaReal Big

Awards

Iconic Formulations EndoAmp Max order cancelled😎

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Iconic Formulations EndoAmp Max order cancelled😎
I still don't think you understand cortisol, there's benifits to lowering it and benifits to having a balance of it.

Taking a cortisol blocker dosent mean that all those bad things are going to happen

ThaReal Big

ThaReal Big

Awards
What was your reason for wanting to order it, and what is your reasoning for not ordering it.
I'm just playing man! I've already got the product and have been using it on and off. I've just comeback from vacation and got Covid upon returning so haven't been using anything really. I was just looking at this thread and it's like up and down I was bored thought I'll have some fun whilst isolating in my bedroom from my family 😎

klbsa

klbsa

Awards
  • First Up Vote
The amount of cortisol needed to keep the body functioning is very low......Among other things it is important in regulating the immune response in the body. It also works in unison with Insulin to shuttle certain nutrients to bodily tissues. There is no supplement that I have ever heard of that can "Crash" levels to the point that these functions will cease....... Only keep it out of the red zone.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Increases in post training cortisol have been linked to increases in LBM. I do agree that chronically elevated cortisol would be an issue, however acute increases due to a stimulus such as weight training don’t seem to be an issue.

Again, I agree that chronically elevated cortisol levels due to things such as stress can wreak havoc, but I just don’t find posttraining cortisol increases problematic
I actually disagree here. One of the least talked about effects of anabolic steroids are their effects on cortisol and that its manipulation was argued to be the unsung hero of anabolic use by the late great dan duchaine. He was a huge advocate for the use of this supplement for natural competitors.

If you have ever used 11oxo or 11kt at higher doses you will know that it does allow mass accrual while doing nothing much more than keeping cortisol in a low normal range.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
The amount of cortisol needed to keep the body functioning is very low......Among other things it is important in regulating the immune response in the body. It also works in unison with Insulin to shuttle certain nutrients to bodily tissues. There is no supplement that I have ever heard of that can "Crash" levels to the point that these functions will cease....... Only keep it out of the red zone.
It's not about keeping things just functional, it's about balance.

But I definitely agree that it would be hard to take cortisol levels dangerously low with a supplement, but I'm thinking if your double dosing or combining cortisol blockers while on a cycle you could probably get yourself into some trouble.

Im not taking anything away from the supplement here, it's a very useful supplement. Especially for natural guys and guys in pct. It's also good if your just generally a high strung high stress person or a endurance athlete or a older person loosing there memory, someone with ADHD.

I'm a bit confused on the dosing tho because it seems like common side effects start over 300mg. Il admit I'm not well informed on the supplement itself. I do know a good amount about cortisol tho

Last edited:

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've used it multiple times in the past at varying levels to try and achieve what the claims do and I've never got much from it. It's far too expensive for any negligible effect IME.

klbsa

klbsa

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Fearns Lecithin. Cheap source of PS and PA. Recently added it back in to my daily routine
I’ve been under the impression that Lecithin comes from Soy right? So Ive stayed away from it due to fears of isoflavones…. does it contain any soy isoflavones? Or is that **** not part of lecithin?

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’ve been under the impression that Lecithin comes from Soy right? So Ive stayed away from it due to fears of isoflavones…. does it contain any soy isoflavones? Or is that **** not part of lecithin?
That is my only source so I have zero concern. You need a lot for any kind of significant issues. It’s a great source and Cheap