PED's (Steroids,Sarms,Peptides) and hypertrophy of myofibrils

T-Willy

Awards
Hi there,

i have a question what the long term and keepable effects of PED's about hypertrophy of the myofibrils is concerned.
What is your experience after a few cycles of PED's and going back natural..did the cycles have a long lasting effect on your level of functional hypertrophy ,which in my mind is the basic of strength/power..

I heard a lot of times,that e.g. steroids cause primarily a hypertrophy of the sarcoplasm (glycogen and so on).

What about hypertrophy of myofibrils?
I read about "musclememory", which is another term for steroids creating new nuclei i think.
But are the "gains "in term of cross-section of myofibrils long term,if you "go off" the different drugs?

Whats your personal experience, in the case,you follow a well designed and periodised strengthtraining -programm of course..
Any science behind it in addition?

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I would say 100 percent changes how much muscle you will carry. Took close to a year off and could still rep 225 first day back. Was surprised myself. I have a physical job so maybe that helped as welll. Also I sure as hell couldnt move 225 when I first started lifting. Lol.

cronikgains

cronikgains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think it creates lasting changes. I worked out naturally for years before I ran a cycle of h-drol for 6 weeks. Before I worked out, I was super skinny and it took years of hard work and bulking to get a decent amount of muscle mass and even look like I lifted. After I ran my first cycle, I took off and maintained every bit of muscle mass thanks to proper pct and training.

I also most likely didn't hit my genetic limits before the cycle, but I was tired of busting my ass to make such slow progress while I watched others get huge within a year of training.

Anyways, I continued to lift for a year before taking a break that was at least 1-2 years. Whenever I started lifting again, my muscle mass came back quick. When I wasn't lifting and was at my weakest during the long break - I was still much bigger than I was before I ever trained.

I attribute this to muscle memory, and I do believe running cycles helps create the muscle nuclei needed for muscle growth - and I believe the nuclei stays with you for many years. Regardless if its from natural training or the usage of PEDs.

Steroids do make your body recruit more nuclei (please correct me if I'm wrong) so it makes sense that many of the gains will stick with you and make it easier for you to re-build muscle after a long break.

This has been proven to work for me over the years and every time I take a long break and come back - I comeback quicker and stronger than before.
Whenever I get back into training I stay natural for the first few months, reap all the muscle memory gains - and then hop on a cycle to get back to my prime and eventually surpass it. Once you've built muscle, it comes back quickly. I think once you've rebuilt muscle more than a few times it gets even quicker, at least in my experiences.

T-Willy

Awards
I think it creates lasting changes. I worked out naturally for years before I ran a cycle of h-drol for 6 weeks. Before I worked out, I was super skinny and it took years of hard work and bulking to get a decent amount of muscle mass and even look like I lifted. After I ran my first cycle, I took off and maintained every bit of muscle mass thanks to proper pct and training.

I also most likely didn't hit my genetic limits before the cycle, but I was tired of busting my ass to make such slow progress while I watched others get huge within a year of training.

Anyways, I continued to lift for a year before taking a break that was at least 1-2 years. Whenever I started lifting again, my muscle mass came back quick. When I wasn't lifting and was at my weakest during the long break - I was still much bigger than I was before I ever trained.

I attribute this to muscle memory, and I do believe running cycles helps create the muscle nuclei needed for muscle growth - and I believe the nuclei stays with you for many years. Regardless if its from natural training or the usage of PEDs.

Steroids do make your body recruit more nuclei (please correct me if I'm wrong) so it makes sense that many of the gains will stick with you and make it easier for you to re-build muscle after a long break.

This has been proven to work for me over the years and every time I take a long break and come back - I comeback quicker and stronger than before.
Whenever I get back into training I stay natural for the first few months, reap all the muscle memory gains - and then hop on a cycle to get back to my prime and eventually surpass it. Once you've built muscle, it comes back quickly. I think once you've rebuilt muscle more than a few times it gets even quicker, at least in my experiences.
O.k.,thanks to your detailed answer!

The background behind my question is the following:

I'm not a bodybuilder or a fitness-enthusiast,but a senior track sprinter (60/100m,just for fun, not testet at all,by the way).
Functional hypertrophy is my goal,because its the foundation of explosive speed.
Since i'm very explosive,but still lack a bit of functional mass (1,76m and 73 Kg,fairly lean),i want to put on a little bit of contractile protein with the help of a few cycles (max 3-5).
Goal : get to my optimal weight ( about 80-max 83kg)faster ,build a better base to focus more on specific training after that.
I don't wont to cycle my entire life,and i try to limit sarcoplasmic hypertrophy to the absolut necessity.
I only want to take PEDs to get to my optimal weight faster..

Some suggestions,what to use?
What would be your rating:
Oxandrolone
Ostarine
RAD
LGD
S4
MK677
other secretagogues
HGH
IGF1-LR3
MGF
BPC157
TB500

-I think i should avoid wet compounds at all costs..
-I have and have never had problems with tendons /ligaments.

Any thoughts?

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Have you tried adding lean mass without gear? A proper diet with reasonable surplus + hypertophy oriented training could be all you need without risking your endocrine system.

Some of the compounds you mention are not going to increase lean mass to any significant degree and some of them aren't even anabolics.

T-Willy

Awards
Have you tried adding lean mass without gear? A proper diet with reasonable surplus + hypertophy oriented training could be all you need without risking your endocrine system.

Some of the compounds you mention are not going to increase lean mass to any significant degree and some of them aren't even anabolics.
Background is a bigger story..
i am 50 years old and suffert from CFS the last 40 years.
The underlying problems where a mercury-intoxication and a massiv parasitic infestation,which led to a chronic elevated level of cortisol.
The elevated cortisol impaired my tolerance to workout massivly,and diet-wise i always gained lots of fat and nearly zero muscle when in a surplus.When dieting i lost primarily muscle and zero fat..

Through a long lasting detoxification-programm over the last 5 years i managed to heal me from CFS completely.
I reduced my bodyfat from 30% to 8% at the moment,without losing any strength.That took me 5 years...
I trained the last 35 years without any break (as good a possible the former years..),and NEVER (not one time!)ate some sh...t the last 5 years..

My stats at the moment at 73 Kg BW are:
Squat olympic (Tempo 4010 ): 190 Kg
Bench (schoulder width grip): 140 Kg
Pullup: BW + 60 Kg
Deadlift (my weakest lift because lower back issues because of CFS): 3x200 Kg

The point is: I'm not the youngest guy,and i want to speed up things a little bit and gain only the right tissue and then go back natural..i don't want to weigh more than round about 80 kg,which schould be dry-weight.
If a go in a surplus,my bodyweight shoots up,but since i was fat my entire life,and have a lot of fatcells,they fill up very quickly..

I know,that some of that stuff i named is no anabolic originally....
From what i know :
BPC157 increase receptor-sensitivity to HGH,
TB 500 leads to more production of actin (growth of myofibrils???)

IGF1-LR3: only glycogen-anabolic????I found nearly nothing about that!?
MGF: found nothing special about , which part of muscle-tissue would benefit..

Experiences?

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The underlying problems where a mercury-intoxication and a massiv parasitic infestation,which led to a chronic elevated level of cortisol.
The elevated cortisol impaired my tolerance to workout massivly,and diet-wise i always gained lots of fat and nearly zero muscle when in a surplus.When dieting i lost primarily muscle and zero fat..

Through a long lasting detoxification-programm over the last 5 years i managed to heal me from CFS completely.
I reduced my bodyfat from 30% to 8% at the moment,without losing any strength.That took me 5 years...
I trained the last 35 years without any break (as good a possible the former years..),and NEVER (not one time!)ate some sh...t the last 5 years..

The point is: I'm not the youngest guy,and i want to speed up things a little bit and gain only the right tissue and then go back natural..i don't want to weigh more than round about 80 kg,which schould be dry-weight.
If a go in a surplus,my bodyweight shoots up,but since i was fat my entire life,and have a lot of fatcells,they fill up very quickly..

From what i know :

Experiences?
pic? i want to see 50 year old natty at 8%

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar

From what i know :

Dang, that's a rough story. Great work getting to the shape you are now. But at your age I don't know how well you would recover from ped use hormonal wise. Would you be ok being on trt for the rest of your life? It's of course not allways about age, a young guy at his 20's could be one and done -> trt. But at 50+ I presume the changes of full hormonal recovery is getting less likely.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’d say the 14.5% bf estimate from ‘19 is fairly accurate, so if you are 8% now I believe you.
There are two major considerations here you cannot get around:

-to gain muscle WILL require a caloric surplus. If you don’t overdo it, the drugs will help prevent as much fat gain, but going up 7kg is likely going to bump you a percent or two, unless you do it over years.

-pct from any cycle will add bodyfat during the high cortisol/low relative androgen restart environment. And at your age, odds of permanent damage to natural production are higher. So if you don’t want to go on TRT, you may not keep hardly any composition change from the cycle, and you may worsen your natural position to hold what you have built longterm.

It’s a catch-22: you don’t have an optimal hormonal environment to make big muscle gains anymore, but even if you create one you won’t hold gains well when it ends.

My genuine advice is not to cycle AAS or SARMs. If you want to utilize HGH, Mk677, peptides, by all means go for it. (HGH has actually been shown to reduce athleticism and explosiveness, the way it changes joints, but many just need it for recovery so it’s the tradeoff they make - but it may not be right in your situation). But playing with the HPTA at this point is asking to risk a great lean athletic physique. If this is a hobby, and you value not needing hormone replacement, I would just keep chipping away naturally because you enjoy it.

There’s no free lunch here.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hyde as ever with a great comment and much of what I would say.

your lifting numbers are also really decent at 73kg by the way (I also don’t know anyone who tempo squats a max but 🤷). In the UK in your age and weight category you’d be placing in most comps I think.

I know you have a clear plan about how many cycles and why, but it doesn’t work like that in most cases bro. You don’t know what your genetic limit is, you may already be there (your lifting years and numbers etc suggest you may be) so the anabolics will get you where you want and then you’ll lose the vast majority in pct and possibly end up worse than now (for reasons Hyde explained).

yes anabolics give long term advantage (through increased muscle nuclei (they proved this recently), however, whilst in professional sport where every 1% makes a difference it might be relevant the advantage you maintain after coming off won’t be noticeable imo. You won’t keep the vast majority of what you gain on cycle bro, not with where you are already.

so you’ll cycle again as you love what it does, then again, then you’ll cruise and blast so you can maintain more between cycles and then you’ll end up on trt.......like the rest of us 😂

in this sort of situation that’s the way it does imo bro.

At 50 you aren’t adding and keeping 10kgs lean mass without blasting and cruising, like zero chance you can gain that and then keep it when you come off (bearing in mind you aren’t a newbie to training)

if you really want to be 83kg jacked as **** (which at 50 + would be awesome and guarantee you can dine out on young pussy whenever you want) then you need to embrace the trt life as it’s where you’ll end up

or

don’t touch anything and to be fair your doing really fucking well without it so it’s not like you need to bro.

barische

barische

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
O.k.,thanks to your detailed answer!

The background behind my question is the following:

I'm not a bodybuilder or a fitness-enthusiast,but a senior track sprinter (60/100m,just for fun, not testet at all,by the way).
Functional hypertrophy is my goal,because its the foundation of explosive speed.
Since i'm very explosive,but still lack a bit of functional mass (1,76m and 73 Kg,fairly lean),i want to put on a little bit of contractile protein with the help of a few cycles (max 3-5).
Goal : get to my optimal weight ( about 80-max 83kg)faster ,build a better base to focus more on specific training after that.
I don't wont to cycle my entire life,and i try to limit sarcoplasmic hypertrophy to the absolut necessity.
I only want to take PEDs to get to my optimal weight faster..

Some suggestions,what to use?
What would be your rating:
Oxandrolone
Ostarine
RAD
LGD
S4
MK677
other secretagogues
HGH
IGF1-LR3
MGF
BPC157
TB500

-I think i should avoid wet compounds at all costs..
-I have and have never had problems with tendons /ligaments.

Any thoughts?
Winstol - ever hear of ben Johnson

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’d say the 14.5% bf estimate from ‘19 is fairly accurate, so if you are 8% now I believe you.

-to gain muscle WILL require a caloric surplus. If you don’t overdo it, the drugs will help prevent as much fat gain, but going up 7kg is likely going to bump you a percent or two, unless you do it over years.

-pct from any cycle will add bodyfat during the high cortisol/low relative androgen restart environment. And at your age, odds of permanent damage to natural production are higher. So if you don’t want to go on TRT, you may not keep hardly any composition change from the cycle, and you may worsen your natural position to hold what you have built longterm.

It’s a catch-22: you don’t have an optimal hormonal environment to make big muscle gains anymore, but even if you create one you won’t hold gains well when it ends.

My genuine advice is not to cycle AAS or SARMs. If you want to utilize HGH, Mk677, peptides, by all means go for it. (HGH has actually been shown to reduce athleticism and explosiveness, the way it changes joints, but many just need it for recovery so it’s the tradeoff they make - but it may not be right in your situation). But playing with the HPTA at this point is asking to risk a great lean athletic physique. If this is a hobby, and you value not needing hormone replacement, I would just keep chipping away naturally because you enjoy it.

hyde the one on the left is suppose to be from 19 at 14ish...looks alot more to me idk?
edit: or am i lookin at em backwards?

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
hyde the one on the left is suppose to be from 19 at 14ish...looks alot more to me idk?
edit: or am i lookin at em backwards?
The one on the left is a "starting point". Wether it's the 30% mentioned or what, I don't know, but the one on the right is from 2019 and is the 14.5%. That's how I undestod it.

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The one on the left is a "starting point". Wether it's the 30% mentioned or what, I don't know, but the one on the right is from 2019 and is the 14.5%. That's how I undestod it.
aaah k i had it backwards

T-Willy

Awards
Yes,that was 6 month after starting point ...about 28-29 % BF...

T-Willy

Awards
Hyde as ever with a great comment and much of what I would say.

your lifting numbers are also really decent at 73kg by the way (I also don’t know anyone who tempo squats a max but 🤷). In the UK in your age and weight category you’d be placing in most comps I think.

I know you have a clear plan about how many cycles and why, but it doesn’t work like that in most cases bro. You don’t know what your genetic limit is, you may already be there (your lifting years and numbers etc suggest you may be) so the anabolics will get you where you want and then you’ll lose the vast majority in pct and possibly end up worse than now (for reasons Hyde explained).

yes anabolics give long term advantage (through increased muscle nuclei (they proved this recently), however, whilst in professional sport where every 1% makes a difference it might be relevant the advantage you maintain after coming off won’t be noticeable imo. You won’t keep the vast majority of what you gain on cycle bro, not with where you are already.

so you’ll cycle again as you love what it does, then again, then you’ll cruise and blast so you can maintain more between cycles and then you’ll end up on trt.......like the rest of us 😂

in this sort of situation that’s the way it does imo bro.

At 50 you aren’t adding and keeping 10kgs lean mass without blasting and cruising, like zero chance you can gain that and then keep it when you come off (bearing in mind you aren’t a newbie to training)

if you really want to be 83kg jacked as **** (which at 50 + would be awesome and guarantee you can dine out on young pussy whenever you want) then you need to embrace the trt life as it’s where you’ll end up

or

don’t touch anything and to be fair your doing really fucking well without it so it’s not like you need to bro.
Thanks for your reply!Good points!
Looks like i really should reconsider ,if it would be the right way....
Maybe its easier and better,especially long term,to stay natural..(y)

T-Willy

Awards

Same here.... makes sense,i must say..i have to reconsider my tactic:)
One question about HGH and reduced athleticism/explosivness:
Can you go into detail a little bit more?The sounds interesting!
Do you mean,that HGH leads to further growth of acra ,what would be a disadvantage for joint-mechanics,and weight ,of course ?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thanks for your reply!Good points!
Looks like i really should reconsider ,if it would be the right way....
Maybe its easier and better,especially long term,to stay natural..(y)
in your shoes I would.....

the one thing I would probably do is peptides. Ipamorelin for example, would benefit recovery and sleep, doesn’t mess with natural gh production, is pretty much side free. Obviously the benefits aren’t anything like gear and you won’t directly gain lean mass from it but you’ll get benefits.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
in your shoes I would.....

the one thing I would probably do is peptides. Ipamorelin for example, would benefit recovery and sleep, doesn’t mess with natural gh production, is pretty much side free. Obviously the benefits aren’t anything like gear and you won’t directly gain lean mass from it but you’ll get benefits.
You know, I never got any benefits in regards of sleep with peptides and GH is actually hindering my sleep to the point where I'm counting the days till I get off. Fragmented sleep with really intense fuacking dreams that makes sleeping kinda a chore. That's at app 3.5 IU.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
@T-Willy those are some very good stats for your age and especially body weight. You should compete lawl.

I have nothing more to add to what was already written by @Hyde and @Whisky. Maybe I would just add that it's not a given that you would end up on trt from a few cycles. - Have you any idea what are your natural numbers atm? You should do bloods for TT, LH and FSH. - But the fact about keeping gains is true. You are probably at your genetic max or at least at your max potential in regards to your eating and training knowledge. Your ffmi is atm what? 21 - 21.5?

If you want better regen then try GH at 3 IU ed coupled with some natural supps that help with inflammation, cortisol, etc. and maybe a test booster to lower your SHBG coupled with a GDA. Your igf1 is probably in the gutter (due to your age) so a few IU of GH should do you good. But do check your IGF1 levels before hand to see where you're at.

GH, adaptogens, GDA, test booster.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You know, I never got any benefits in regards of sleep with peptides and GH is actually hindering my sleep to the point where I'm counting the days till I get off. Fragmented sleep with really intense fuacking dreams that makes sleeping kinda a chore. That's at app 3.5 IU.
strange, ipamorelin has improved my rem and deep sleep (not total sleep) - there is an element of being off cycle in that (sleep is trash on a harsh cycle anyway) but I’ve been tracking with an oura ring for a while so I comparable periods to look back at.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
strange, ipamorelin has improved my rem and deep sleep (not total sleep) - there is an element of being off cycle in that (sleep is trash on a harsh cycle anyway) but I’ve been tracking with an oura ring for a while so I comparable periods to look back at.
More rem and more deep sleep but also more waking up. That's my experience. But what's most disturbing are the totally vivid dreams. It's like I'm living two lives. This wasn't nearly as pronounced on peps as it is on GH. Not comparable at all.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
LGD and MK 677 stack well together to add mass and strength. This was my first cycle of PEDs and it was awesome.

Lots volume with regular weight progressions, coupled with lots of carbs and standard protein intake (1g per Ib).

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
More rem and more deep sleep but also more waking up. That's my experience. But what's most disturbing are the totally vivid dreams. It's like I'm living two lives. This wasn't nearly as pronounced on peps as it is on GH. Not comparable at all.
yep the dreams I get on any gh or peptide, same on both for me though I’d say. Not as vivid as you are describing but definitely more detailed than any I get on nothing

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Same here.... makes sense,i must say..i have to reconsider my tactic:)
One question about HGH and reduced athleticism/explosivness:
Can you go into detail a little bit more?The sounds interesting!
Do you mean,that HGH leads to further growth of acra ,what would be a disadvantage for joint-mechanics,and weight ,of course ?
I can’t remember the specifics so I won’t speak any further on this one for fear of leading anyone astray, but I do encourage you to do your own research if you are thinking about trying some.

GH affects a LOT of systems & interactions in the body. Alex Kikel of Beast Fitness Radio has a great short episode discussing GH/Thyroid interactions that start to occur above about 2iu a day - totally blew my mind. I mean just stuff you would never know about if you weren’t really deep diving the literature.

T-Willy

Awards
@T-Willy those are some very good stats for your age and especially body weight. You should compete lawl.

I have nothing more to add to what was already written by @Hyde and @Whisky. Maybe I would just add that it's not a given that you would end up on trt from a few cycles. - Have you any idea what are your natural numbers atm? You should do bloods for TT, LH and FSH. - But the fact about keeping gains is true. You are probably at your genetic max or at least at your max potential in regards to your eating and training knowledge. Your ffmi is atm what? 21 - 21.5?

If you want better regen then try GH at 3 IU ed coupled with some natural supps that help with inflammation, cortisol, etc. and maybe a test booster to lower your SHBG coupled with a GDA. Your igf1 is probably in the gutter (due to your age) so a few IU of GH should do you good. But do check your IGF1 levels before hand to see where you're at.

GH, adaptogens, GDA, test booster.
I will test my natural basic levels of Test,LH,FSH,good advice!

As to my ffmi: your right,my ffmi is below 25,a good guide value for natural limit of muscle mass..BUT,
as i wrote:
My goal is not maximal hypertrophie,but maximal myofibrilic hypertrophie..to reach a natural ffmi of 25,you have to maximize hypertrophie,which means you have to include maximal sarcoplasmic hypertrophie incl. maximal filled glycogen-stores.
This is not my goal,as it will reduce my performance /relativ strength.
My actual weight of 73 kg will easily go up 5-7 kg's, when loading up on carbs for a few days..my ffmi would rise significantly,but thats not functional hypertrophie in terms of relativ strength.
At the moment,only 3 meals /week contain significant amount of carbs (1 bigger,2 smaller..).Any more,and my BF shoots up. Testet alot with CGM (Continous glucose measurement,Abott freestyle libre),and that works best at the moment with low BF. Post-WO even whey leads to rising BF through insulin and blood-sugar-imbalances.
Amino-acids during and PWO and low carb+ 3carb-meals /week works best.
My workout-volume is relatively low,and energy-systems worked (anaerobic alactic mostly(under 7 sec ),a little anaerobic lactic (strength training, ) consume only a few grams of carbs.
I tried every approach you can imagine over the years,and higher carbs don't work for me... i only gain fat,feel slugish and my progress doesn't benefit from it at all.
I think ,i should up my calories slowly,without gaining too much BF (2-3% max.),and then reduce my BF to previous level,very slowly.Revers dieting...that would be the way...evtl. the best time to use some not so natural substances is when reducing BF to KEEP muscle..