Unanswered Partial reps gains?

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Has anyone here seen better or more pronounced results using partial reps vs complete reps?

I heard that partial reps are best used if you are using a weight that is between 75% to 85% of your 1 rep max. Anything lighter will not result in any gains if using partial reps. Is there any justification to this?

Thanks.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think the take away is time under tension. Extending a set with partials or even doing just partials for a longer set time can be very effective. I have almost always used a heavier weight, but even with a load that is 60% of your 1rm, you can make the muscle work pretty hard. Once again time under tension.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So what's better for hypertrophy; doubling reps with partials (ex. If you 10 full reps then force out 20 reps with partials) or full rep followed by partial (1.5 reps)?
Thanks!

I think the take away is time under tension. Extending a set with partials or even doing just partials for a longer set time can be very effective. I have almost always used a heavier weight, but even with a load that is 60% of your 1rm, you can make the muscle work pretty hard. Once again time under tension.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So what's better for hypertrophy; doubling reps with partials (ex. If you 10 full reps then force out 20 reps with partials) or full rep followed by partial (1.5 reps)?
Thanks!
It really depends on a few factors, but I have used both of those rep schemes pretty extensively. They both work very well. I think starting with a solid plan of progression is first. Then add in intensifiers intermittently. John meadows incorporates a lot of these type of sets into his plans, which are usually hypertrophy programs. Look into mountain2.0 training. There is a thread in the training section you could start with. Also check out mountaindogdiet.com

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hypertrophy: whatever weight you are performing, complete full reps, and to failure, or right before failure. Then, on certain sets, and exercise, add a drop set, or a time under tension set, or a rest pause set. I have seen the best hypertrophy from making sure whatever weight I am moving, that the reps are good, complete, and to or right before failure.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thaks for the responses guys. I'll check out some more training logs and articles and experiment with different techniques. It's funny how there is no universal training technique that works for all body types.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thaks for the responses guys. I'll check out some more training logs and articles and experiment with different techniques. It's funny how there is no universal training technique that works for all body types.
Know your body. Be intense. Train intuitively.