Painful pumps during squats. Could not finish leg workout second week in a row.

p1nchharmonic

p1nchharmonic

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Established
  • Established
I only have access to a squat rack and a barbell/ plates for my leg workouts right now. Last week and this week, while doing back squats, I started to get very painful quad pumps mid set in my second real working set.

Warm up 135x5
Warm up 185x6
Warm up 225x5
Working set 275x6
Working set 315x6
Drop set 225 x6 (had to stop from pain)

I'm on 600 mg test per week. In week 7 right now.

Drank ample electrolytes and 2 glasses of sea salt water this morning, thought that could be the issue but it isn't. Whats going on here?

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Are you using a preworkout?

I wouldn't recommend sea water. I would use sodium bicarbonate and potassium bicarbonate in a 50/50 mix.

You might also look at something like NutraBio InstaBlast. It has a lot of good stuff in it, but especially 2g of taurine which can help with some of the dehydration effects you might be getting.

p1nchharmonic

p1nchharmonic

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Established
  • Established
Are you using a preworkout?

I wouldn't recommend sea water. I would use sodium bicarbonate and potassium bicarbonate in a 50/50 mix.

You might also look at something like NutraBio InstaBlast. It has a lot of good stuff in it, but especially 2g of taurine which can help with some of the dehydration effects you might be getting.
No I don't typically use pre workout. How many grams each?

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Are you using any kind of supplements that give you a pump like creatine, beta alanine, citrulline malate or arginine?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Electrolytes + salt water = greater fluid volume & pumps, right?

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Electrolytes + salt water = greater fluid volume & pumps, right?
Electrolytes include sodium, so I don't see the need to drink pure salt water. That's something I've never heard of. It seems like it would dehydrate you more than anything else.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Electrolytes include sodium, so I don't see the need to drink pure salt water. That's something I've never heard of. It seems like it would dehydrate you more than anything else.
I understand salt is an electrolyte. I'm reiterating what the OP stated he does in his initial post.

Increased electrolyte/salt & fluid intake would equal greater pumps. It stuck out to me because the way the OP it out in his initial post inferred that he expected that to reduce the pumps, when in fact, they would increase them.

p1nchharmonic

p1nchharmonic

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Established
  • Established
I was having some twitching and muscle cramping. The increased sodium seemed to fix that. I don't think I was dehydrated. I drink 1-2 gallons of water per day

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was having some twitching and muscle cramping. The increased sodium seemed to fix that. I don't think I was dehydrated. I drink 1-2 gallons of water per day
Yeah, it'll help with the cramps but also may contribute to increased pumps. It's keeping more water in you until you piss out the excess and your body manages your electrolyte balance. You're not dehydrated with 1-2gal of water + electrolytes.

*Edit*
In relation to hormones, seeing as this is in the anti-aging forums, I don't know. I'm just pointing out what struck me at first glance.

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I understand salt is an electrolyte. I'm reiterating what the OP stated he does in his initial post.

Increased electrolyte/salt & fluid intake would equal greater pumps. It stuck out to me because the way the OP it out in his initial post inferred that he expected that to reduce the pumps, when in fact, they would increase them.
I'm not sure electrolytes increase pumps. They simply replace the electrolytes you lose in sweat during your workout. This is an idea I've not heard of.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm not sure electrolytes increase pumps. They simply replace the electrolytes you lose in sweat during your workout. This is an idea I've not heard of.
But he isn't replacing anything. He's adding more, especially drinking straight salt water. He's going to hold a lot more water and become hypervolemic until until he excretes the excess. Greater blood volume + high rep squats = greater pump. Increased sodium & fluid and increased pumps go hand in hand.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Go eat a pack of ramen and pound some water and go do some curls and tell me that you don't get a sick pump lol

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Go eat a pack of ramen and pound some water and go do some curls and tell me that you don't get a sick pump lol
I'll have to give that a try sometime :LOL:

But also go read my link to the studies on suppversity on sodium and potassium bicarbonate. They can have great effects on endurance, H+ accumulation, lactic acid and etc.

There's also some great articles on Ergo-Log

~Vision~

~Vision~

Awards
Decreasing your electrolytes will have no effect on pumps or not, that is something that is more essential to the brains function and other neural secretions.
It sounds like you're experiencing AAS induced pumps by way of chronic exertional compartment syndrome (CECS) occurs during hyperemia which happens during heavy load and stress. What's happening here is the exit flow of fluid is the culprit, AAS can contribute by the increase of fluid and water retention, and the increase with rbc's, nitrogen, increase in the blood flow circulation, and also having a a heavy glycogen storage surplus.. the muscle obviously is filling with blood and fluid faster than it can exit the fluid therefore the fascia tissue around the muscle it's not able to expand and this is what is causing the painful pumps with compartment syndrome.

I would reduce the intake of any carbohydrates on the day of training along with any creatine. The addition of excessive sodium will also be a factor, just consume clear fluids..

Take longer breaks between sets along with stretching, I recommend bringing in one of those roller wheels or those massage guns and apply that accordingly to the areas that are affected..
There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking longer breaks to allow yourself an opportunity to recover..

this happens to me often and what I would do is capitalize on this opportunity to go work a smaller group for muscle rounds, maybe some cables for arms or something.. laying down and putting your feet up right also helps..

If your pumps become too debilitating you were not obligated to complete your entire leg session in one day and you can break it up into two different sessions, quads and calves, and then a few days later do your hams and Calves..

The added bonus is you can capitalize on this by allowing the pump to stretch the fascia tissue. When your return comes too painful just break it up into sessions.. also I'm a huge fan of getting my stretching done while doing my movements. Limit the intensity of your warmup.and try to get most of your stretching during your Lift..

Also try doing sumo squats, and don't be afraid to pass up on the squats for next couple sessions and just focus on the leg press machine along with your feet placement.. you have plenty of alternatives..

Take home notes.. cut back on the sodium, increase your fluid intake with clear water.. and break up your leg routine.. and try to get more of your stretching employed during your list rather than doing more warm up sets.. and don't frown on the leg press machine it may be your biggest tool for the next several weeks...

p1nchharmonic

p1nchharmonic

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Established
  • Established
Decreasing your electrolytes will have no effect on pumps or not, that is something that is more essential to the brains function and other neural secretions.
It sounds like you're experiencing AAS induced pumps by way of chronic exertional compartment syndrome (CECS) occurs during hyperemia which happens during heavy load and stress. What's happening here is the exit flow of fluid is the culprit, AAS can contribute by the increase of fluid and water retention, and the increase with rbc's, nitrogen, increase in the blood flow circulation, and also having a a heavy glycogen storage surplus.. the muscle obviously is filling with blood and fluid faster than it can exit the fluid therefore the fascia tissue around the muscle it's not able to expand and this is what is causing the painful pumps with compartment syndrome.

I would reduce the intake of any carbohydrates on the day of training along with any creatine. The addition of excessive sodium will also be a factor, just consume clear fluids..

Take longer breaks between sets along with stretching, I recommend bringing in one of those roller wheels or those massage guns and apply that accordingly to the areas that are affected..
There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking longer breaks to allow yourself an opportunity to recover..

this happens to me often and what I would do is capitalize on this opportunity to go work a smaller group for muscle rounds, maybe some cables for arms or something.. laying down and putting your feet up right also helps..

If your pumps become too debilitating you were not obligated to complete your entire leg session in one day and you can break it up into two different sessions, quads and calves, and then a few days later do your hams and Calves..

The added bonus is you can capitalize on this by allowing the pump to stretch the fascia tissue. When your return comes too painful just break it up into sessions.. also I'm a huge fan of getting my stretching done while doing my movements. Limit the intensity of your warmup.and try to get most of your stretching during your Lift..

Also try doing sumo squats, and don't be afraid to pass up on the squats for next couple sessions and just focus on the leg press machine along with your feet placement.. you have plenty of alternatives..

Take home notes.. cut back on the sodium, increase your fluid intake with clear water.. and break up your leg routine.. and try to get more of your stretching employed during your list rather than doing more warm up sets.. and don't frown on the leg press machine it may be your biggest tool for the next several weeks...
This was an awesome post. Thank you

~Vision~

~Vision~

Awards
I put my reading glasses on and I've just noticed that you said you are limited with some of your equipment.. by chance do you have any dumbbells?
Maybe substitute and incorporate reverse step lunges. Or foot on bench dumbbell lunge..

You can do a mock version of fortitude training, make one session working on loading, a few days later you can work on muscle rounding..

Break up your routine again like suggested and if need be take longer breaks.. and I hope you're going raw and not using any wraps..

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Used to get it bad and really the best thing to do is just learn to push through it. You will get used to it. Also I would avoid drop sets for now and extending rest periods. If your resting 2 or 3 minutes extend it to 4 or 5.

p1nchharmonic

p1nchharmonic

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Established
  • Established
Successful week squatting today.
Stretched heavily in between sets and was able to work up to a working set of 325 with no pain. Feels good man!

~Vision~

~Vision~

Awards
Successful week squatting today.
Stretched heavily in between sets and was able to work up to a working set of 325 with no pain. Feels good man!
That's great feedback man and I'm sure everybody's excited that everything's working out good for you.. whatever you did, or whatever you're doing and whatever you adjusted keep on doing that because clearly it works.. best of luck man and keep everyone posted for educational purposes..

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Try foam rolling in between sets it help me.

~Vision~

~Vision~

Awards
Try foam rolling in between sets it help me.
I do this and use the massage gun. On my lower back tho.
This definitely helps, Great suggestion Rocket.

I have 2 rollers, they are on the hard side and could be a bit softer, but I got what I paid for at Walmart.
one is a straight tube with knots, and the other is a tube that has a curved intend in the middle so the muscle heads fit into it.
Both have there own pro's and con's.

The massage gun however does great. It's not one of those hardcore retractable ones, but it does retract just not like those $400 ones. I got mine at Bed-bath & Beyond for 130'ish

TO the OP.. try a heating pad too at home.