Pain in forearm during straight bar curls (or possibly any curls)

B3ast

B3ast

Awards
Has anyone else expierenced this, and does anyone know why this happens? Whenever i do curls, my left forearm gets a pain when i set the bar down and release it.

Also, my hands seem to tear up easily (dry as well) and it looks like the skin is peeling. It does not hurt, but it is unattractive and weird. When ever i lift, even non demanding lifts, my hands tear up and i have dead skin and its peeling etc.

Jake Phillips

Jake Phillips

Awards
I get the same as you, my right forearm has a shooting pain and goes up to the wrist area
I get the same thing with dead skin spec with deadlift, you could always try gloves i do that with the main lifts, seems to help an with the forearm pain just do a few more warm up sets or press ups does the trick

B3ast

B3ast

Awards
The thing about gloves are i feel they ruin my grip strength, the dead skin and peeling hands (ripping up) are annoying because it looks bad and it always seems to NOT callus which is annoying. Forearm pain for curls as well with you? Idk what to do lol

lamonster14

lamonster14

Awards
Same pain here, a cambered bar helps as do dumbbells. Also hammer curls do not bother it

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
skinpeels arnt unatractive, stop that nonsense. women might say it is, but theyre stupid and actually like playing with it

now a lot of people get tht forearm pain. your form might be a contributing factor because the pathof least resistance involved flaring your elbows out while curling, which puts a huge straight on the ulna bone and into your forarm/wrist. have you tried keeping your elbows in front of your body, and squeezing them towards one another to prevent them from flaring out during the lift?

Jake Phillips

Jake Phillips

Awards
I bin lifting for About 5 years i do not normally get much pain in my forearm anymore, yeh i agree about the gloves i dont really care about my hands anymore lol with my job im always lifting so they are an awful state :(

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's like shin splints in your forearms. You guys all rather new to lifting? I had the same problem, ice & ibuprofen should help.

Yeah now that I think about it, it's been years since I've felt that discomfort on straight bar curls. But I also got it too and it is normal to experience.

Problem with ibuprofen sometimes is that it could interfere with muscular growth since it is inflammation that stimulates muscle repair after a workout.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah now that I think about it, it's been years since I've felt that discomfort on straight bar curls. But I also got it too and it is normal to experience.

Problem with ibuprofen sometimes is that it could interfere with muscular growth since it is inflammation that stimulates muscle repair after a workout.
I think that's over blown A LOT. Playing college baseball, Ibuprofen is a way of life. I played with some pretty big guys & 800mg twice a day (before games & before workouts) wasn't uncommon at all. Maybe not healthy, but it didn't affect them much.

Mack411

Mack411

Awards
I have had this problem,it was intense when I started lifting.i have found ways to adjust over time,as straight bar curls have helped my growth a lot,I had to adjust and play with my grip to find what was comfortable.In the end I have to use quite a wide grip,wider than I'd like,but over the I can just slowly adjust it in and it adjusts to it that way better,but even after years of lifting I still have the same issue,also affects my wrists,just gotta find what works for you the best I think.Those forearm pains hurt tho,feel like shin splints in your arms!

B3ast

B3ast

Awards
skinpeels arnt unatractive, stop that nonsense. women might say it is, but theyre stupid and actually like playing with it

now a lot of people get tht forearm pain. your form might be a contributing factor because the pathof least resistance involved flaring your elbows out while curling, which puts a huge straight on the ulna bone and into your forarm/wrist. have you tried keeping your elbows in front of your body, and squeezing them towards one another to prevent them from flaring out during the lift?
Lol it is just they get torn up!! :) but i understand. I keep my form as good as i can with the curls. elbows in, no swaying etc

dannny

Awards
the forearm pain is fairly common, i used to get it too when i first started, you just mite have to try a lighter weight til it goes away. and like u said about getting forearm pain when u put the bar down, i find if u release the pressure slowly rather than throw the bar down and let go straight away, it will be alot less painful

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think that's over blown A LOT. Playing college baseball, Ibuprofen is a way of life. I played with some pretty big guys & 800mg twice a day (before games & before workouts) wasn't uncommon at all. Maybe not healthy, but it didn't affect them much.
Good to know! My freakin lower back kills me on leg and back days so I actually could use some NSAIDS on those days. I guess my only concern though is that continuous use of NSAID could stunt the release of inflammation into the torn muscle cells.

But like I said it's good to know that it was of no consequence to you and others you know.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
the forearm pain is fairly common, i used to get it too when i first started, you just mite have to try a lighter weight til it goes away. and like u said about getting forearm pain when u put the bar down, i find if u release the pressure slowly rather than throw the bar down and let go straight away, it will be alot less painful
This is correct. I did/do the same thing.

However, there is no hope for close-grip straight bar w/ 100+ lbs...OUCH!