"Other" Protein Powders

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Does anyone use any forms of protein powder that aren't pea or whey? Any brands that stand out and taste moderately decent, as well as actually put in what they claim on the label?

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
well there's casien but you could just drink milk

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think you mostly just want to make sure it's not extracted with hexane right?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
No whey... oddly enough, it gives me insomnia.
Beef isolate, but you gotta find a very high quality one because many of them are crap. You can also get egg protein powder or casin protein powder.

Or ditch the powders and just eat more real food.

Never heard of whey causing insomnia. That's definitely a first

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
It's not whey. It's by MyProtein
It is whey, kinda, it's supposedly whey that doesn't come from animals. Which Im Pretty sure whey specifically comes from animals.
Sooooooo....... Ya I got no fuckin clue what it actually is lol

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Beef isolate, but you gotta find a very high quality one because many of them are crap. You can also get egg protein powder or casin protein powder.

Or ditch the powders and just eat more real food.

Never heard of whey causing insomnia. That's definitely a first
I thought we weren't sure if egg protein powder was actually usable since it's not cooked?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I thought we weren't sure if egg protein powder was actually usable since it's not cooked?
Even raw eggs are like 59% bioavailable but it's to my understanding that egg based protein powder is the seccond highest bioavailability after whey based powders

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Even raw eggs are like 59% bioavailable but it's to my understanding that egg based protein powder is the seccond highest bioavailability after whey based powders
Wold you recommend whole egg or white powder? The idea here is extra protein right before training.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Wold you recommend whole egg or white powder? The idea here is extra protein right before training.
Probably egg white because there shouldn't be any fat. I'm a believer in no fat or very low fat around the workouts. Is a little fat gonna destroy our progress, probably not. There's been plenty of times in a pinch I just make a PBJ to Choke down on my way to the gym if I missed a meal that day and don't have protein powder

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Potato protein is suppose to be among the best non-whey protein. Apparently has a good amino profile and plenty of leucine. I use whey so I can’t speak much on it

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm a believer in no fat or very low fat around the workouts. Is a little fat gonna destroy our progress, probably not.
I agree. most of my fats are in the morning when I'm taking my daily multi and other minerals.

There's been plenty of times in a pinch I just make a PBJ to Choke down on my way to the gym if I missed a meal that day and don't have protein powder
I've done this a lot although I prefer Banana and PB sandwiches on sourdough bread! :)

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am a 100% Whey kind of guy.

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Probably egg white because there shouldn't be any fat. I'm a believer in no fat or very low fat around the workouts. Is a little fat gonna destroy our progress, probably not. There's been plenty of times in a pinch I just make a PBJ to Choke down on my way to the gym if I missed a meal that day and don't have protein powder
100%

I truly believe that those trying to optimize body composition, especially in a surplus would be benefiting themselves by keeping close to all fats away from the training window and all carbs, outside of trace, in the pre / intra / post training window....sustainable for most? probably not, but if someone asked how to control every single variable they could to stay as lean as possible I would start with this