Opinion on “Best damn workout program”

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
Hey just casually looking at what could be a future program to run and I always like to get other opinions. With some google searching this one popped up. Seems interesting and against what I normally do.

I don’t need any hate, I’m not a pro and don’t have experience like a lot of you guys. I’m looking to get bigger but want the strength as well not just size.

I like the idea of mixing legs in and not having a set like day like on push/pull/legs.

Thanks guys looking forward to hearing some thoughts

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters

Monday – Workout **

Romanian Deadlift:  2 sets of 6 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set
Pronated Lat Pulldown or Pull-Up:  2 sets of 6 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set
Bent-Over Lateral:  2 sets of 8 and one 6-8-10 drop set
Standing Barbell Curl:  2 sets of 6 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set
Tuesday – Workout B1

Front Squat:  2 sets of 6 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set
Bench Press:  2 sets of 6 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set
Dumbbell Lateral Raise:  2 sets of 6 and one 6-8-10 drop set
Lying Dumbbell Triceps Extension:  2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set
Wednesday – Workout A2

Lying Leg Curl:  2 sets of 6 and one 6-8-10 drop set
Straight-Arm Pulldown or Dumbbell Pullover:  2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set
Pronated Chest-Supported Row:  2 sets of 8 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set
Preacher Curl:  2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set
Thursday – Workout B2

Leg Extension:  2 sets of 6 and one 6-8-10 drop set
Pec Deck or Cable Crossover:  2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set
Military Press or Dumbbell Shoulder Press:  2 sets of 6 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set
Close-Grip Decline Bench Press or Dip:  2 sets of 6 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set
Friday – Workout A3

Glute Ham Raise or Reverse Hyper:  2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set
Supinated Lat Pulldown:  2 sets of 6 and one 6-8-10 drop set
Neutral-Grip Cable Seated Row:  2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set
Dumbbell Hammer Curl:  2 sets of 6 and one 6-8-10 drop set
Saturday – Workout B3

Hack Squat Machine or Leg Press:  2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set
Incline Bench Press or Incline Dumbbell Press:  2 sets of 6 and one 6-8-10 drop set
Dumbbell Front Raise on Incline Bench:  2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set
Rope Triceps Extension:  2 sets of 6 and one 6-8-10 drop set

thefrenchmen

thefrenchmen

Awards
That’s a lot of 6 rep schemes. Doesn’t look like that much volume?

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hey just casually looking at what could be a future program to run and I always like to get other opinions. With some google searching this one popped up. Seems interesting and against what I normally do.

I don’t need any hate, I’m not a pro and don’t have experience like a lot of you guys. I’m looking to get bigger but want the strength as well not just size.

I like the idea of mixing legs in and not having a set like day like on push/pull/legs.

Thanks guys looking forward to hearing some thoughts

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-workout-plan-for-natural-lifters

Monday – Workout **

Romanian Deadlift:  2 sets of 6 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set
Pronated Lat Pulldown or Pull-Up:  2 sets of 6 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set
Bent-Over Lateral:  2 sets of 8 and one 6-8-10 drop set
Standing Barbell Curl:  2 sets of 6 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set
Tuesday – Workout B1

Front Squat:  2 sets of 6 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set
Bench Press:  2 sets of 6 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set
Dumbbell Lateral Raise:  2 sets of 6 and one 6-8-10 drop set
Lying Dumbbell Triceps Extension:  2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set
Wednesday – Workout A2

Lying Leg Curl:  2 sets of 6 and one 6-8-10 drop set
Straight-Arm Pulldown or Dumbbell Pullover:  2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set
Pronated Chest-Supported Row:  2 sets of 8 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set
Preacher Curl:  2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set
Thursday – Workout B2

Leg Extension:  2 sets of 6 and one 6-8-10 drop set
Pec Deck or Cable Crossover:  2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set
Military Press or Dumbbell Shoulder Press:  2 sets of 6 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set
Close-Grip Decline Bench Press or Dip:  2 sets of 6 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set
Friday – Workout A3

Glute Ham Raise or Reverse Hyper:  2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set
Supinated Lat Pulldown:  2 sets of 6 and one 6-8-10 drop set
Neutral-Grip Cable Seated Row:  2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set
Dumbbell Hammer Curl:  2 sets of 6 and one 6-8-10 drop set
Saturday – Workout B3

Hack Squat Machine or Leg Press:  2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set
Incline Bench Press or Incline Dumbbell Press:  2 sets of 6 and one 6-8-10 drop set
Dumbbell Front Raise on Incline Bench:  2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set
Rope Triceps Extension:  2 sets of 6 and one 6-8-10 drop set
Looks good to me, 5 day routine with a variety.
I'm rather basic to be honest compared to most and I'm no pro either.
I believe a nice 3 on 1 off is my favorite. Always felt just right.

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
That’s a lot of 6 rep schemes. Doesn’t look like that much volume?
I guess that’s the point of it. Lower volume but higher frequency. It’s all about natural lifters not being able to do the same volume as enhanced lifters.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
I'd have to say that a program u belive in and stick to is the best. But for me it's 5/3/1. I've been running that for any years and have had great results.

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
I'd have to say that a program u belive in and stick to is the best. But for me it's 5/3/1. I've been running that for any years and have had great results.
I’ve been 5/3/1 for a while and I do like it. Made great progress as well.

I think I might add too much extra work and burn myself out

thefrenchmen

thefrenchmen

Awards
What’s the 5/3/1?

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you're still working things out so I say give it a shot and see how you respond. It can take years to figure out what training style works best for you. BTW you don't need low reps and heavy weight to get super strong. Keep an open mind. You can build a bench well between 300-400lb without ever training with more than 150-200lb if you like.

kl1234

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It’s a good program... I’ve ran a variation for awhile now. 5/3/1 is solid too... but you can’t add weight to the bar forever. As you get older- you have to adjust your style a bit... time under tension, rest pause etc.

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you're still working things out so I say give it a shot and see how you respond. It can take years to figure out what training style works best for you. BTW you don't need low reps and heavy weight to get super strong. Keep an open mind. You can build a bench well between 300-400lb without ever training with more than 150-200lb if you like.
Can you explain? To get up to double seems excessive. That would roughly mean you would have to build up to be able to do 30 reps of 200lbs to be able to 1 rep 400.

Assuming it would be done with rest pauses, clusters, slow tempo lifts? Stuff like that

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
It’s a good program... I’ve ran a variation for awhile now. 5/3/1 is solid too... but you can’t add weight to the bar forever. As you get older- you have to adjust your style a bit... time under tension, rest pause etc.
All that is now covered in 5/3/1 Forever book

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Can you explain? To get up to double seems excessive. That would roughly mean you would have to build up to be able to do 30 reps of 200lbs to be able to 1 rep 400.

Assuming it would be done with rest pauses, clusters, slow tempo lifts? Stuff like that
Exactly, high reps with lower loads. Break it up with lots of sets and low rest periods. For bench lets say you start with 8x12 with 150lb for example with 30 second rest periods. When that gets too easy superset with dumbell presses, add additional sets, increase reps, change tempo etc. So many ways to mix it up and keep progressing including methods you've mentioned. Nothing wrong with low rep training either and I've trained with guys who grow faster on low volume, low rep schemes. I could probably have built a 300lb bench on low rep training, eventually... The point is I grow in size and strength much faster from extremely high volume with lower loads.

thorsdad31

thorsdad31

Awards
  • Established
d.u.p. did it for me gained 95 lbs on my 1 rep max for bench in 4 months it's documented on my Instagram

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My favorite routine is a P/P hitting everything twice a week. I only train 4x a week so that’s why it’s PP and PPL.

Right now I’m doing chest/back as my A1 and Legs/Arms as B1 then A2 - B2. I’m about to go back to the PP though just wanted to change it up for a couple of months.

Here is the link for the PP routine. Really good size. This routine is one of the most recommended routines for natural lifters and it explains why.

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established
My favorite routine is a P/P hitting everything twice a week. I only train 4x a week so that’s why it’s PP and PPL.

Right now I’m doing chest/back as my A1 and Legs/Arms as B1 then A2 - B2. I’m about to go back to the PP though just wanted to change it up for a couple of months.

Here is the link for the PP routine. Really good size. This routine is one of the most recommended routines for natural lifters and it explains why.

Hey ya that is the same link I posted and I was wondering about!

So you’ve ran this p/p for a while? It’s such low volume per workout.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
So many good programs - anything you can stick to is good in my book.

Smolov for squats in particular is brutal but effective, I’ve run phat a number of times and like it a lot. Currently doing madcow 5x5 and finding the drop to 3 ‘intense’ sessions a week an interesting change.

I’ve always had the view that if you pick a program that has the basics (I.e compounds at the core, progressive overload and enough volume/frequency) and stick to it you make progress for a while. When progress stops or you get bored start a new one.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey ya that is the same link I posted and I was wondering about!

So you’ve ran this p/p for a while? It’s such low volume per workout.
Yeah I forgot to mention about the volume part. Here’s the thing, when you hit everything twice a week, you don’t really NEED that much volume. It’s about intensity. That being said, I do believe that routine is a bit low on volume. When I first tried it out, I ran it exactly how it’s laid out for about 2 weeks then I started tweaking it and adding more volume (but not too much). Everybody is different. Do what you respond to best. Mess around with it and see what you like!

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Smolov for squats in particular is brutal but effective, I’ve run phat a number of times and like it a lot. Currently doing madcow 5x5 and finding the drop to 3 ‘intense’ sessions a week an interesting change.
I love Smolov. Got my legs to a point where I'm forever playing catch up with my upper body development. I have to say the base meso has always fetched the greatest gains for me. As a whole it's still fantastic for those who need to bring their legs up in a hurry.

Kaiyas_daddy

Awards
  • Established
I’m on this program but I did some variation and it is the best program I’ve been on for what my time allows (45-60 min max). My legs grew a lot too since you hit it 6 days a week. However, the squats day after dead’s doesn’t allow you to see good strength gains on squat , but this is meant for frequency/hypertrophy as Opposed to strength anyway.

If you do this program, give it Atleast a month. When I started the first couple weeks you feel like you can do more. But then the frenquency creeps up on you. Everything lift intense RPE 10.0 lol.

I switched out Romanian deadlift for conventional deadlift on Monday. Back squat for front squat on Tuesday. Barbell row instead of probated dumbbell row on Wednesday. Romanian deadlift for reverse hypers on Friday.

My sets and reps are different too for the big exercises. I’m doing 5 sets of 3 for dead’s. 3 sets of 5 for squats. And 3 sets of 5 for flat bench.

Those exercises that says 2 sets of 6 at a weight you could do several more I do my 2 sets at a weight I barely get 6 reps. Then do rest pause minimum higher weight and try to get 4 rest pause 3 rest pause 2.

I added in face pulls, and I do ab work twice a week and calf work twice a week. I also do couple light sets of barbell curls, bench press, barbell rows and deadlifts with fat grips.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I’m starting back up on this routine tomorrow. I’ve had mono for 3 weeks and haven’t been in the gym. Right in the middle of a MassMax + slinmax run :(

Freddy55

Freddy55

Awards
I’ve been running this program for 38 weeks, with a few tweaks similar to those described above. Slightly increased volume for the chest and back, swapped a few exercises around to suit my needs, etc. The volume seems low, but the fatigue catches up to you... I promise! I now program in a de-load week every 4th or 5th week to avoid injuries and to fully recover. I’ve made fantastic gains on this program... the regularity of 6 days/wk really works for me. Good luck!

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nope. PH3 is focused power building program. Focused on your 3 main compound lifts (Squats, Bench Press and Deadlift)
Ran PH3 twice and was one of the first to complete it and give him feedback. Great program but it will eat you alive if you can’t handle your own volume.

eitaporra

eitaporra

Awards
you could check nSuns 5/3/1. I think it would fit your needs because it focus on your strength but at the same time it’s customizable and easy to modify so you can hit your weak parts with accessory workout.