Opinion/help with my workout please

TimmyWazza

TimmyWazza

Awards
Hey all this is how I'm training at the moment I've put it all together myself just after advice or chances you think it might need. Any help would be much appreciated

Back/biceps/obliques
Deadlift 5 sets 8-10 reps
Wide grip pull-ups 3sets max reps
Lat pulldown 3sets 8-10 reps
Seated row 3sets 8-10 reps
Hammer rows 3set 8-10reps
Easy bar curl 3 sets 8-10reps
Preacher curl 3set 8-10
Dumbbell hammer curl 3set- 8-10
Cable strait bar curl 3set 8-10
Side crunches 3set max reps
Russian twist 3set max reps
Planks 3 sets long as possible

Chest/shoulders/triceps
Incline, flat, decline bench 5sets 8-10reps
Machine flat bench 3 sets 8-10reps
Machine decline bench 3sets 8-10reps
Machine pec flys 3sets 8-10
Military shoulder press 3sets 8-10
Dumbbell flys 3sets 8-10
Machine lat raise 3sets 8-10
Easybar upright rows 3sets 8-10
Cable upright rows 3sets 8-10
Tricep dips 3sets 10-15
Cable tricep pulldown 3set 8-10
Cable side lateral raise 3sets 8-10

Legs/abs
Squats 5sets 8-10
Incline legpress 5sets 8-10
Machine leg extension 3sets 8-10
Lunges 3 sets 8-10
Laying leg curls 3sets 8-10
Calf raises 3 sets 8-10
Decline crunches 3sets max reps
Leg raises 3sets max reps
Ab crunch machine 3sets 10-15

Then repeat with rest day on Sundays.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you using those exercises as a referral list of things to do, or is each group, an actual days W/O?

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
u got a lot of pointless movements dude. and by pointless, i really just mean redundant. and the volume is insane

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agreed with Ungyin Night. You're doing pulldowns right after pull-ups. Seated row then hammer row. Redundant. I'm not trying to sound like a d1ck, but it just looks like you try to touch every machine for each muscle. You could cut out the leg press and leg curls. Do a stiff legged/Romanian deadlift variation instead of leg curls.

Oh, and unless you're juicin-training 6 days straight like that isn't doing you a damn thing.

Ex the upright rows. You do 15 sets combined of incline/flat/decline THEN machine bench pressing THEN more pushing/chest exercises. That's excessive and redundant.

Id recommend a
-Lower(deads)
-Off
-Upper(horizontalpush/horizontalrow)
-Off
-Lower(squat)
-Off
-Upper(vertical press/vertical pull), type split focusing on compound movements. You'll grow. Diet will give you the looks.

Screw everything being 8-10 reps. Some days I'll do 6 reps for accessory movements, others I'll do 15-20. More does NOT=better.

Train movements and effective muscles.

The only good thing IMO the smith machine is good for....nevermind, I can't think of anything

Download a book called "Starting Strength"

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed with Ungyin Night. You're doing pulldowns right after pull-ups. Seated row then hammer row. Redundant. I'm not trying to sound like a d1ck, but it just looks like you try to touch every machine for each muscle. You could cut out the leg press and leg curls. Do a stiff legged/Romanian deadlift variation instead of leg curls.

Oh, and unless you're juicin-training 6 days straight like that isn't doing you a damn thing.

Ex the upright rows. You do 15 sets combined of incline/flat/decline THEN machine bench pressing THEN more pushing/chest exercises. That's excessive and redundant.

Id recommend a
-Lower(deads)
-Off
-Off
-Lower(squat)
-Off
-Upper(vertical press/vertical pull), type split focusing on compound movements. You'll grow. Diet will give you the looks.

Screw everything being 8-10 reps. Some days I'll do 6 reps for accessory movements, others I'll do 15-20. More does NOT=better.

The only good thing IMO the smith machine is good for....nevermind, I can't think of anything

You took the words right out of my mouth....was wondering if this guy is serious or just playing the fool.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Id recommend a
-Lower(deads)
-Off
-Off
-Lower(squat)
-Off

3rded...! ^^^ Always get good consistent training posts from these guys.
And if most young guys who are interested in just gaining strength and mass followed this type of layout, they would be much further ahead than the glossy mag BBer routines promising bigger guns in 4 weeks.

Danimozz

Danimozz

Awards
Starting strength works. To get bigger you generally need to get stronger.

TimmyWazza

TimmyWazza

Awards

Id recommend a
-Lower(deads)
-Off
-Off
-Lower(squat)
-Off

Cheers for the in depth response I do feel like I'm doing to much but just wanted to make sure I was hitting every muscle I didn't realize less could be more. With the split you put up are you saying I should be resting after every training day? And it's ok to do pushing and pulling on the same day? -Upper(horizontalpush/horizontalrow) so bench variations and seated rows? Sorry if this sounds stupid I've only been training for 6months and am teaching myself

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's perfectly fine to push and pull the same day. If I flat press then I'll row

If ya shoulder press, follow up with some pull-ups

You can do 2 on 2 off or every other day ect Doesn't matter as long as you have adequate rest

This is all my preference. As a powerlifter, that's how I train. I'm not saying to powerlift, but I honestly believe that this is one of several great ways to train every 'muscle group' multiple times in a week. Bulking/Cutting/BBing/PLing whatever. Others will chime in with what works for them. This is what works for me.

And what you're doing could very well work for you, but I doubt it

TimmyWazza

TimmyWazza

Awards
It's perfectly fine to push and pull the same day. If I flat press then I'll row

If ya shoulder press, follow up with some pull-ups

You can do 2 on 2 off or every other day ect Doesn't matter as long as you have adequate rest

This is all my preference. As a powerlifter, that's how I train. I'm not saying to powerlift, but I honestly believe that this is one of several great ways to train every 'muscle group' multiple times in a week. Bulking/Cutting/BBing/PLing whatever. Others will chime in with what works for them. This is what works for me.

And what you're doing could very well work for you, but I doubt it
What I'm doing isn't working for me very well I thought I'd be further along with lean mass at this point then what I am and I'm pretty disappointed hence why I posted my workout. I figured it was wrong. Would the split you put up be enough to build arm size and traps as well? Or would I need to add Extra workouts for those muscles? And if so which days would you put them in? Sorry I know that sounds really amateur just wanna build those areas

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What I'm doing isn't working for me very well I thought I'd be further along with lean mass at this point then what I am and I'm pretty disappointed hence why I posted my workout. I figured it was wrong. Would the split you put up be enough to build arm size and traps as well? Or would I need to add Extra workouts for those muscles? And if so which days would you put them in? Sorry I know that sounds really amateur just wanna build those areas
I was in your shoes a little under a year ago dude. I was doing the same pointless **** 6 days straight like you were, then I joined this site and I'm still learning.

I really do recommend finding a proven training program. I tell everyone the same thing and hope others chime in with their thoughts, as I'm not expert. Google 5/3/1, 5x5, Mountain Dog or WSB4SB. Go to Elite FTS and T-Nations and start reading through articles. That peak on the traps that everybody wants, is only a small upper portion of a fairly good sized back muscle. Throw in curls and Tricep work on either or both upper body days. Those exercises are non-taxing and can be done whenever.

Focus on the big parts first, little parts second. Any growth is going to be from your diet, so figure out what your goals are with that.

TimmyWazza

TimmyWazza

Awards
I was in your shoes a little under a year ago dude. I was doing the same pointless **** 6 days straight like you were, then I joined this site and I'm still learning.

I really do recommend finding a proven training program. I tell everyone the same thing and hope others chime in with their thoughts, as I'm not expert. Google 5/3/1, 5x5, Mountain Dog or WSB4SB. Go to Elite FTS and T-Nations and start reading through articles. That peak on the traps that everybody wants, is only a small upper portion of a fairly good sized back muscle. Throw in curls and Tricep work on either or both upper body days. Those exercises are non-taxing and can be done whenever.

Focus on the big parts first, little parts second. Any growth is going to be from your diet, so figure out what your goals are with that.
Ahh ok sweet mate I'm gonna jump on the computer now and do some research find a better program. I've got my diet pretty well perfect with clean eating and complex carbs I wanna build size and strength but keep pretty lean. Thanks again mate you've been a great help. I was becoming worn out and disheartened due to lack of gains and probably overtraining by the sounds of it but tomorrow is a new week and I feel inspired to start fresh.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sorry for long post but...

I think a lot of us who came up thru the trenches learned perhaps the harder way, as Sean mentions. Focusing on less important things like hitting all the groups, angles and all the stuff that keeps you focused away from hard work on a few key heavy BB compound exercises.
Constantly adding weight over the weeks/months to the big stuff ie: squats, deadlifts, OHPs, Rows, BP's... are going to do the absolute most to pack on overall mass and thus add size to your entire frame, (including the arms) Couple that with eating enough and that will be the best program to follow. If you gain #20 of BW, you arms will be bigger, I guarantee it.
Sean mentions his PL'ing program and or lifts, but actually, I feel and have read, that most PL'ers train better or for more overall strength mass than most other lifters, since the prime directive is adding weight and mass to the bar and thus the body's structure and thinking of the body as a whole unit, instead of thinking or training it in pieces or parts. (It is also my opinion, that most oly and PL'ers look more physically solid and complete, since the tie in muscles are all well trained from compound work.) You do not have to lift for singles and PR attempts, but using loads in the 80%+ area of your 1RM, for multi sets and reps, is more or less a proven way to increase overall mass and power throughout the entire body.
I also support say a good 5x5 routine with plenty of eating.
"More" is not better in this game, especially in the little muscle groups like arms etc. Quality of hard work on the big 5, trumps quantity of all the smaller groups and exercises. Keeping things "simple" is also different than keeping them easy. Simple routines can be made into very hard work.

pmdied

Awards
Sorry for long post but...

I think a lot of us who came up thru the trenches learned perhaps the harder way, as Sean mentions. Focusing on less important things like hitting all the groups, angles and all the stuff that keeps you focused away from hard work on a few key heavy BB compound exercises.
Constantly adding weight over the weeks/months to the big stuff ie: squats, deadlifts, OHPs, Rows, BP's... are going to do the absolute most to pack on overall mass and thus add size to your entire frame, (including the arms) Couple that with eating enough and that will be the best program to follow. If you gain #20 of BW, you arms will be bigger, I guarantee it.
Sean mentions his PL'ing program and or lifts, but actually, I feel and have read, that most PL'ers train better or for more overall strength mass than most other lifters, since the prime directive is adding weight and mass to the bar and thus the body's structure and thinking of the body as a whole unit, instead of thinking or training it in pieces or parts. (It is also my opinion, that most oly and PL'ers look more physically solid and complete, since the tie in muscles are all well trained from compound work.) You do not have to lift for singles and PR attempts, but using loads in the 80%+ area of your 1RM, for multi sets and reps, is more or less a proven way to increase overall mass and power throughout the entire body.
I also support say a good 5x5 routine with plenty of eating.
"More" is not better in this game, especially in the little muscle groups like arms etc. Quality of hard work on the big 5, trumps quantity of all the smaller groups and exercises. Keeping things "simple" is also different than keeping them easy. Simple routines can be made into very hard work.
5x5 literally changed my life (well, at least my physique) and sticking to the big 5-7 exercises with emphasis on the bar bell was the single biggest factor in my growth over the past 6-8 months. In fact, I've grown over the past 6 months doing 5x5, and 10x10 than I think I ever have in my entire lifting career. And I've even had a few guys at my gym ask what I've been doing differently. I tell them to find a plan centered around the barbell and don't deviate. It does work.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
5x5 literally changed my life (well, at least my physique) and sticking to the big 5-7 exercises with emphasis on the bar bell was the single biggest factor in my growth over the past 6-8 months. In fact, I've grown over the past 6 months doing 5x5, and 10x10 than I think I ever have in my entire lifting career. And I've even had a few guys at my gym ask what I've been doing differently. I tell them to find a plan centered around the barbell and don't deviate. It does work.
And there again, there is no magic in the 5x5 or any protocol really. The magic if you choose to hunt it, is that you have to be willing to look past the small muscle groups, like chest and arms etc. (that we see in the mirror the most) and be willing to get rather uncomfortable working hard on the hard exercises that one can move the most weight on. Which are squatting, deadlifting, rowing, standing push presses maybe, and of course BP's. (which I mention last because every one puts them first.) and gaining the most overall BW, will most likely come from heavy work and adding weight over the months whilst eating enough.
Second might be your protocol ie: sets/reps, but I know a few young guys who used 3x6-10, with the above exercises and did quite well too.
It is just focus in the best or right areas (the big 5-7 compounds) that will garner the biggest overall full body gains.

TimmyWazza

TimmyWazza

Awards
And there again, there is no magic in the 5x5 or any protocol really. The magic if you choose to hunt it, is that you have to be willing to look past the small muscle groups, like chest and arms etc. (that we see in the mirror the most) and be willing to get rather uncomfortable working hard on the hard exercises that one can move the most weight on. Which are squatting, deadlifting, rowing, standing push presses maybe, and of course BP's. (which I mention last because every one puts them first.) and gaining the most overall BW, will most likely come from heavy work and adding weight over the months whilst eating enough.
Second might be your protocol ie: sets/reps, but I know a few young guys who used 3x6-10, with the above exercises and did quite well too.
It is just focus in the best or right areas (the big 5-7 compounds) that will garner the biggest overall full body gains.
Thanks so much for this mate I've been doing research on the 5x5 and I'm starting it fresh as of today. I'm pretty disappointed that I've put in a good hard 6months of work with little result but at the same time I'm excited to start fresh with a new program also my missus will be happy I'm home earlier not doing 1 1/2 to 2 hours in the gym after work every night haha

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks so much for this mate I've been doing research on the 5x5 and I'm starting it fresh as of today. I'm pretty disappointed that I've put in a good hard 6months of work with little result but at the same time I'm excited to start fresh with a new program also my missus will be happy I'm home earlier not doing 1 1/2 to 2 hours in the gym after work every night haha
Well, try not to look at it as missed time or bad results exactly. You are first, making it a habit, of becoming a more trained person or more in tune with training, so that is a plus. Let it be a life long experience, instead of something you need or needed to do already. If I had to look back on all my training and missed opportunities as foul ups, I would not have learned from them either. Learning how your body responds and making training a life long habit, will go a lot farther as you take that into other facets of your life, than looking at them as having little results and no good outcome.
All the best in getting those goals...!

TimmyWazza

TimmyWazza

Awards
Well, try not to look at it as missed time or bad results exactly. You are first, making it a habit, of becoming a more trained person or more in tune with training, so that is a plus. Let it be a life long experience, instead of something you need or needed to do already. If I had to look back on all my training and missed opportunities as foul ups, I would not have learned from them either. Learning how your body responds and making training a life long habit, will go a lot farther as you take that into other facets of your life, than looking at them as having little results and no good outcome.
All the best in getting those goals...!
That's a much more positive way of looking at it mate thankyou. Just one more question is it ok to put two compound exercises into one day? As in I like to train chest and shoulders together so if I did say flat bench 5x5 then seated military press 5x5?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm not too familiar with 5x5 programs, but the majority of my movements in every workout-are compound movements, so I'd say yes- thatd be fine (pending what your program is saying to do)

TimmyWazza

TimmyWazza

Awards
I'm not too familiar with 5x5 programs, but the majority of my movements in every workout-are compound movements, so I'd say yes- thatd be fine (pending what your program is saying to do)
Ok sweet thanks mate I'm gonna try a push/pull/legs split with the 5x5 on my compound movements hopefully that will bring results haha

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
be thankful u found this out in only 6 months lol. it took me 2 years because i was a moron when i first started.

5x5 relies on full body workouts using mainly compound movements and little to no islations. for example, with madcows 5x5, you do squat ->bench->pendlay row all in the same day. then squat->overhead press->deadlift on the next workout day. its very compound oriented. the trick to it is eating a truck load of food every day

TimmyWazza

TimmyWazza

Awards
be thankful u found this out in only 6 months lol. it took me 2 years because i was a moron when i first started.

5x5 relies on full body workouts using mainly compound movements and little to no islations. for example, with madcows 5x5, you do squat ->bench->pendlay row all in the same day. then squat->overhead press->deadlift on the next workout day. its very compound oriented. the trick to it is eating a truck load of food every day
Ahhh ok sweet I have no worries eating a truck load of food haha it's one of the things I love about bbing also eating super clean

TimmyWazza

TimmyWazza

Awards
This is the new program I'm gonna follow with rest days between days what do you guys think?
Push:
Bench press: 5x5
Incline DB press: 3x6-10
Military, seated or standing: 5x5
dips or skull crushers: 4x6-8

Pull:
Wide pullups: 4x6-8, if you can do 8 reps for all sets, add weight for last 2
Deadlifts: 5x5
Bent over rows: 4x6
BB curls: 4x6-8

Legs:
Squat: 5x5
leg press: 3x6-10
glute-ham raise or stiff leg dead: 4x6-10
Standing calf raise, DC style: 1 set, a weight you can handle for 10-12 reps. Squeeze to top, lower SLOWLY, hold in stretched position for 10-15 seconds, repeat for 12 reps.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
i like it a lot more thanthe first post. id say go with standing bb press for the shoulder press. its easier to move up in once you learn the form, and you can evolve it into the push press when u get really heavy

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
^That

You can always cycle through the assistance exercises. Don't neglect uni-lateral work either

TimmyWazza

TimmyWazza

Awards
i like it a lot more thanthe first post. id say go with standing bb press for the shoulder press. its easier to move up in once you learn the form, and you can evolve it into the push press when u get really heavy
Ok mate I will thanks heaps for your help with all this it's been awesome

TimmyWazza

TimmyWazza

Awards
^That

You can always cycle through the assistance exercises. Don't neglect uni-lateral work either
Yeah no worries mate thanks again for all your help I'm gonna take measurements tonight and keep a log of my progress on this program maybe post it so someone else in my shoes might learn from my mistakes lol

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's a much more positive way of looking at it mate thankyou. Just one more question is it ok to put two compound exercises into one day? As in I like to train chest and shoulders together so if I did say flat bench 5x5 then seated military press 5x5?
Certainly and in fact I have worked compound exercises almost exclusively in W/O's for absolute years, combining squats, RDL's, BP's and Rows in a single W/O and then maybe Deads, OHP's, Pull dwns or chins and arm work perhaps. along with building the body's mass and strength, it builds pretty good work capacity and your GPP as well.

Not sure where you got the idea that you cannot work mostly compound lifts, (and in fact chest and shoulders are 2 of the body's rather smaller muscle groups, compared to the larger hips, back and legs) but that is how you build the body to higher work levels, mass and strength.
It is also my opinion, to do most of one's work, standing ie: keeping the spine and hips and legs loaded. Years ago, I found out I was doing the vast majority of my W/O's sitting or laying. Now almost all my work is done standing. Just sayin'

TimmyWazza

TimmyWazza

Awards
Certainly and in fact I have worked compound exercises almost exclusively in W/O's for absolute years, combining squats, RDL's, BP's and Rows in a single W/O and then maybe Deads, OHP's, Pull dwns or chins and arm work perhaps. along with building the body's mass and strength, it builds pretty good work capacity and your GPP as well.

Not sure where you got the idea that you cannot work mostly compound lifts, (and in fact chest and shoulders are 2 of the body's rather smaller muscle groups, compared to the larger hips, back and legs) but that is how you build the body to higher work levels, mass and strength.
It is also my opinion, to do most of one's work, standing ie: keeping the spine and hips and legs loaded. Years ago, I found out I was doing the vast majority of my W/O's sitting or laying. Now almost all my work is done standing. Just sayin'
Ok awesome I trained my push day yesterday so resting and eating big today it was hard not to hang around and do more but I'm gonna follow this routine properly to get the best results I can.