Once vs twice a week muscle group

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Nvm don't feel like getting into a back and forth.

Last edited:

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
First off - I don't disagree with everything he says there and some of his stuff is on the right path.

His articles you posted talk about training to failure, especially how much he questions when studies state participants trained to failure. He talks quite a bit about how a lot of the studies claimed training to failure, and he always doubts it.

Second, his point, which has validity - is that if you do squats, then deadlifts, then leg presses all in one workout for the same number of sets/weight your actual workload will be lower than if you trained more frequently but broke the training into multiple sessions because, hey, people who do leg presses after squats and deadlifts are tired and won't be able to do as much weight for as many reps as if they were fresh. Doing less, more frequently, actually increases your total workload.

So, let's do very little - everyday. Just one set. This should allow us to follow his logic and maximize the total workload in a week, while minimizing the per work out workload, right?

But let's be sure you are really getting high intensity - because as you imply, intensity doesn't matter. No matter what, 1x per week isn't overtrainjng. So let's make it intense. A triple drop set, to failure.

And of course he says 5x per week is great. So if 5x per week is a great thing, why wouldn't you be willing to do it for just one body part? Clearly if you can train your entire body this way then doing just 1 exercise cannot be over training, right?

In the defense of the author you linked, he doesn't really say much definitive about training frequency. He spends more time pointing out study flaws, which is ironic when relying on a meta analysis.

But clearly his logic would dictate that doing a single exercise for a single set with the highest intensity will NOT be overtraining and will either cause positive results or will fail because it is not enough. If you wish to do more, I am fine with that as well...but I am only asking for 1 triple drop set each day.
You’re reaching and making stuff up. Quote where I said intensity doesn’t matter. I’ll wait.

No thanks to your $5. I’ll do what he lays out for me, thanks. 3 weeks in and I’ve gotten months worth of results.

I have no idea why people get morally offended by the suggestion that there might be a better way to do things than you’ve been doing.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Give these a look. Training a body part more than once a week is definitely not overtraining, if not done properly.

You’re reaching and making stuff up. Quote where I said intensity doesn’t matter. I’ll wait.

No thanks to your $5. I’ll do what he lays out for me, thanks. 3 weeks in and I’ve gotten months worth of results.

I have no idea why people get morally offended by the suggestion that there might be a better way to do things than you’ve been doing.
See above. "Training a body part more than once a week is definitely not overtraining, if not done properly" (Which I believe you meant to say, "if done properly")

Not reaching, just applying logic. What if you train with super high intensity....is it still not overtraining if you hit it once per week?

You can certainly overtrain working out once per week. Some people can do more. Some may even need less. The average person may be able to do it 1-2x per week.

The articles you link clearly state that reduced volume and increased frequency were a method of increasing total "workload". His big point he makes, which is pretty good actually - is that if you do a bunch of exercises in one session, you will actually have a decreased workload using the same weights and sets because by the time you get to the last exercise you will be tired and you will do less work with that third exercise than if you went and hit it on a second day after you recovered. But this could be said of a single exercise as well. If you do 3 sets today, you will be tired on the 3rd set - so you would be better off spacing it out over 3 days so that you can hit each set with more intensity.

Quote:

"If you train a muscle group more often, you increase total work output. Many people, including scientists and not just the authors of this review, continuously neglect this crucial fact. If it doesn’t click, consider a typical bro leg day performed once a week on Wednesday: 3 sets for as many reps as possible of squats, deadlifts, leg presses and leg extensions. Now put the deadlifts and leg extensions on Friday and move the squats and leg presses to Monday. You’re obviously going to be able to achieve a higher total work output (weight x reps x sets) with the split workout compared to the all-in-one workout, because you’re performing 3 of the 4 exercises in a much less fatigued condition. How many reps of leg presses at say 70% of 1RM can you do after squats and deadlifts? You’re gassed. I sometimes see clients double their repetition performance, such as going from 5 to 10 reps, when they move an exercise to its own day instead of performing it after several other exercises for its target muscle groups."

Applying logic to his statement, between the lines he is saying - volume is not as important as intensity. You can get more over-all workload with lower volume more frequently. This, to a large degree, I can agree with. Which is why I suggested the lowest possible volume - 1 set. Again, logically, if we are doing 1 set, we can only do one exercise. I've merely taken his statements (which again, I agree with this part) to their extreme and applied his 3-5X per week suggestions.

Further, the very article headline you link is "5x beats 2x". What am I making up or reaching for here?

Only problem is, for most natural lifters, squatting with any real intensity (sufficient to cause muscle growth) will become counter productive for most lifters at 3-5X per week. I am so certain of this, I will reduce it to just 1 set per workout and just 5 sets per week.

And you believe this too, or else why aren't you doing it? Just 5 sets per week on one exercise, applying the logic in the articles you linked. If you think it won't work because it's not enough...do more. I'm fine with that. If you want to do 4 sets a day, 5 days a week...you could REALLY prove me wrong. Just make sure each set is taken to true failure. Hell, if you're going to do 4 sets, 5 days per week, I'm cool with you leaving a little in the tank even.

I have no issue with you having a different opinion, and appreciate the debate - but I am going to be honest here. I've been on this site a long time, and I've heard all the people saying overtraining isn't real and that 2X per week is best for results. I've heard it so much and seen so many "studies" that I bought into it too. I've spent the last 3 years trying 3-4 different training regimens to try to find the right balance where training 2x per week or more could be beneficial. I learned some things but beyond that, it's been a complete waste. Low volume, high intensity work has built most of my strength and gets the best results. It is not even comparable.

Is this true for everyone? Probably not. Some of you probably DO get the best results 2X per week. I may have an ability to generate a slightly higher momentary output than some of you, but many of you may be able to tolerate more of a workload than me. Who knows. But I have to provide the other side, because I've wasted time and people are so sure of themselves and a lot of those people (not saying you) aren't even aware that they aren't getting results. There are a lot of people who, if training at truly high intensities, cannot train more than 1x per week or so.

And a lot of these people who make blanket "2X a week" statements are ignoring a lot of factors. 2X per week may work well for the balance of volume/intensity they do. Some people are freaks and can tolerate huge workloads and probably won't even grow unless they are going at it daily. And some people may not even be able to make continuous progress at 1X per week without additional rest periods.

I was just pointing out that people put up these "scientific" articles but they know, deep down, that it is not the entire story and far from definitive - because they don't really train that way either. I'd be interested to see how you are actually training and how it lines up with the 5X per week bit.

wizardsz

Awards
Good read in this whole thread, was expecting a routine example at the end haha