Once vs twice a week muscle group

loganyy

loganyy

Awards
  • Established
A good example is I never find that I get anything out of strict form on bent over rows or dumbbell rows but heavy cheat rows work great for me. High rep chest exercises don't do much for me but going heavy works great, my legs and my shoulders don't respond that greet to going super heavy I got to go 20 rep sets a lots of exercises
Well.... this just ties back to everyone doing what works for them. I guess we can end this thread by saying, there is no specific best way to train, and no specific best split to use. It’s all individualized and people will find what works for them and claim it’s the next best thing. A lot of good different training styles and ideas where mentioned in this thread and people looking for new splits and/or training methods could learn a lot and try a lot from this thread.

Dutch guy in asia

Dutch guy in asia

Awards
Not unless your on Anabolic’s. I’ve trained natural for 4 years and I know that if you train hard you can’t do more then 4 days a week natural. On Anabolic’s you can push it to 5-6 but you’ll just stall your progress if your going to much. When I was natural I did

legs/push/off/pull/whatever needed work/off

Then repeat.
If your natural give your body a day off after any hard workout.
You’ll make more gains giving your body and CNS to repair. If you bench Monday and Thursday I bet the guy that benches on just Monday will be stronger. Beating the crap out of your body and not giving it time to recover sucks.
But it all depends on your goals. But definitely not 2x a week natural. Need more time to recover. I remember I used to do that when I was natural and I could never get 225 on the bench I was stuck at 220..... I’d try atleast twice a week for 3 weeks. I stopped trying for 1 week, came back and hit it with ease. When I did Powerlifting meets my coach said no heavy lifting 8 days away and all the way up to the meet. I’d add 20 pounds without even lifting heavy the past week. That’s because my muscles finally get a break and chance to fully rebuild and be the strongest they can be. If you want some weak workouts then 2x a week is good for that. If you want to actually move some weight then relax and let your body do it’s thing
I think i can agree with you but only if your training really hard and heavy.

Much research points towards 2 times a week being better. But of course this depends on your ability to recover.

But the more advanced you are the harder it is to recover. So i think you should also take into consideration the level someone is at plus of course some people recover better then others.

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Currently doing 2x a week full body high intensity, and throwing in a 3rd workout with supplemental exercises to get some more volume in if i can recover.

I am recently (since past month) off from trt and my recovery abilities are terrible, but we'll see how i progress on just 2x a week high intensity big compound only program.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just started Smonts routine, each muscle 2x per week

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think it has to do with your body type. If you are a mesomorph then you can get away with training 1 body part a week as long as you hit it hard. If you are an ectomorph then twice a week will work better for you. If you are endomorph then a 3 times a week full body workout would be best. But all this is just hearsay which I heard someone say.