Olympic barbells and their weight capacity

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I was just wondering what the capacity is for a 44lb(20kg) olympic bar is. I know it can hold a lot more than a standard non-olympic bar. I was also wondering what other olympic barbells are common in terms of their weight and capacity. I went to the gym at my college once and their olympic bar felt like it weighed a good 10-15lbs more than mine.

Richard Gears

Richard Gears

Banned
Awards
You could easilly rack 400-500 bills on an olympic. Mine would bend sunstantially to the point where i swore it would warp. It never did. I had a crappy one that i bought at sears i believe....and it took the abuse.

I know what you mean about the heavier ones. The one at the Gym seems heavier and its thinner.

But yeah...if a sears bar could hang with a 1/4 ton, i think yours will be alright.

If you have the papers that came with the bar, check the manufacturers suggested capacity.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
You could easilly rack 400-500 bills on an olympic. Mine would bend sunstantially to the point where i swore it would warp. It never did. I had a crappy one that i bought at sears i believe....and it took the abuse.

I know what you mean about the heavier ones. The one at the Gym seems heavier and its thinner.

But yeah...if a sears bar could hang with a 1/4 ton, i think yours will be alright.

If you have the papers that came with the bar, check the manufacturers suggested capacity.
It didn't come with papers but I bought it at ****'s sporting goods.

roids1

roids1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just last week, I saw a guy load over 900 on one for rack lockouts.

MuscleBound1337

MuscleBound1337

Awards
  • Established
yeah its the name of the store, but I can't ever say ****'s sporting goods or Bruce ****inson( singer of iron maiden) on the forum
Wow, thats ****ing lame as hell. Fv(k censorship!