Okay to cut when 15 years old?

TheSuppGuy

TheSuppGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey, I'm currently training with a 15 year old friend. I'm going on a cut and he wants to join me on it, for just a few weeks, to from then bulk. I'm just worried, he is very young, and being on a deficit at his age, puberty and all, is it really Good? Just for a few weeks?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If he’s overweight, then trying to lose weight would technically be cutting, and I don’t think anyone is going to tell a teenager they shouldn’t lose weight if they’re overweight, so cutting isn’t inherently bad for a teen. But if they’re already fairly lean, then it’s probably pretty silly, unless they’re trying to make weight for wrestling or something.

TheSuppGuy

TheSuppGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If he’s overweight, then trying to lose weight would technically be cutting, and I don’t think anyone is going to tell a teenager they shouldn’t lose weight if they’re overweight, so cutting isn’t inherently bad for a teen. But if they’re already fairly lean, then it’s probably pretty silly, unless they’re trying to make weight for wrestling or something.
He is fairly lean. Not abs or veiny kind of lean but definately not fat. He wants a summer kind of body, maybe even some ab definition

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
He is fairly lean. Not abs or veiny kind of lean but definately not fat. He wants a summer kind of body, maybe even some ab definition
Sounds like he needs more lean mass, and he will have a better lean mass to fat ratio.

Mitch_310

Mitch_310

Awards
  • Established
I think it would be fine to cut. He’ll look skinny and deprived in the short term. But after about a year or 2 of training it’ll help him in the longer run since he will still be lean with some muscle mass on his frame. Starting a bulk at “skinny fat” what sounds like what he is will leave him just being fatter 6-8 months down the road

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think it would be fine to cut. He’ll look skinny and deprived in the short term. But after about a year or 2 of training it’ll help him in the longer run since he will still be lean with some muscle mass on his frame. Starting a bulk at “skinny fat” what sounds like what he is will leave him just being fatter 6-8 months down the road
He could recomp, take it slow. At his age, he should be able to throw up a significant amount of muscle with ease, and without putting on much extra fat.

Bigmatt57

Bigmatt57

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I was cutting and bulking when I was 15, just don’t have him go to crazy he doesn’t want to lower his test at 15.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's a recipe for hormone issues later on, but at the rate we are going, I think everyone will have hormone problems to address at some point. I knew many guys that cut in their teens for wrestling and still keep up with a number of them. Every single one is on TRT and it's all been attributed to cutting and dieting in their growing years.

I personally would be more for overall diet management and responsibility over any "cut" or other diet manipulation at that age. We know more than we did when I was growing up.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It's a recipe for hormone issues later on, but at the rate we are going, I think everyone will have hormone problems to address at some point. I knew many guys that cut in their teens for wrestling and still keep up with a number of them. Every single one is on TRT and it's all been attributed to cutting and dieting in their growing years.

I personally would be more for overall diet management and responsibility over any "cut" or other diet manipulation at that age. We know more than we did when I was growing up.
I’d go with this.

Just focus on maybe making better choices and training.

I wouldn’t cut. The body is still developing and purposely restricting calories unless absolutely necessary (something under guidance of a proper medical professional for a certain specific case) wouldn’t be wise in my opinion.

Should see plenty of change just by focusing on training right and eating “better”.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would be focused on eating, training hard and sleeping. Don’t worry about cutting, worry about building muscle. If you can get your friend to cut out sugars, he will probably lean out off just that and training hard. Cutting when your skinny is dumb imo because you will look sick. Got pack some muscle on first