Oats at night?

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
Plain oats at night? Good or bad for a cut?
Also does nicotine cause weight gain? I don’t smoke but used to chew tobacco, now I stopped and use one 6mg nicotine logenze a day. Seems like it’s bloating me and causing weight gain? Any idea?

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oats whenever you could use the carbohydrates, some people swear by cutting out carbs at night, but most would say just deficit + time = cut. As for nicotine, I haven't heard of it causing bloating before, in fact I've heard of people using nicotine to help with a cut. Congrats on quitting though!

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
Yeah. Feel like 1/2 cup organic steel oats with water. 210 calories is what it measures. Which is better than 2 cookies or a bowl of strawberry Rice Krispies filled with sugar. Carbs at night that are sugar carbs I could see being terrible, but complex carbs wouldn’t seem to hurt too bad? Maybe I’m wrong

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Really doesn’t matter what time as long as it fits into your daily calorie parameter.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Many many ppl use nicotine to loose weight, and I don't mean smokers. I've never heard of it causing weight gain

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Nicotine is an appetite suppressant so you shouldn't gain weight from it. Normally when people quit that's when weight goes up because they miss judge calories because the appetite suppressant is no longer in their system

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
Not weight gain. Sorry. Bloated stomach mainly. Also doesn’t it raise cortisol? Would someone who uses nicotine only have an issue If exposed

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
And to give you a better example on the oats. Let’s say I have 300 calories left with 30 carbs etc. so would it benefit me to eat the sugary cereal or 1/2 cup organic oats. Mainly asking if complex carbs settle way regular carbs do. If so, then carbs at night suck

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
And to give you a better example on the oats. Let’s say I have 300 calories left with 30 carbs etc. so would it benefit me to eat the sugary cereal or 1/2 cup organic oats. Mainly asking if complex carbs settle way regular carbs do. If so, then carbs at night suck
Depends on what you mean by "benefit me".

If it is solely for fat loss, it won't really matter which you choose if they both leave you in a deficit.

I'd generally still recommend oats though as the fiber and micronutrients will be more beneficial health wise than what you would get from sugary cereal.

Also, oats will probably be more filling and leave you less likely to want something more afterwards compared to the cereal options.

Finally, I don't like to deal in strict yes or no, so I'd say the majority of the time oats would be the preferred option, but you could have cereal if you are really craving it one day, as long as it stays the allotted amount and doesn't push you over your deficit.

I am unsure what the bold necessarily is asking so sorry for not clarifying further.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would stay away from Carbs at night if you are trying to cut. As far as the Nicotine, try No Nicotine for a week and see if the bloat goes away.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Too many ppl overthink a simple process. I would think the oatmeal is bloating you. It bloats me. Congratulations on quitting smoking. Don't stop the nicotine if you just quit. **** the possibility of whatever it could be doing, because if you continue to smoke your problems are far worse in the long run.

Slowly ween yourself off the gum. It could take you all year, who cares about that. If that's what it takes not to smoke it's worth it. Eat less calories then you burn, eat a gram of protein per lb of lbm or more and work on getting your lungs back in shape. If you do those three things I guarantee you will drop fat, improve your health and feel better. Try to eat foods you digest well as I think that is what is bloating you.

AndShane

Awards
  • Established
Never smoked. Just dipped on occasion but considering I’m always healthy I just stopped for a lot of reasons. Now I just do the lozenge once a day on the way home from work. Thinking that could cause some of the cortisol increase. Def not good for the heart

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Never smoked. Just dipped on occasion but considering I’m always healthy I just stopped for a lot of reasons. Now I just do the lozenge once a day on the way home from work. Thinking that could cause some of the cortisol increase. Def not good for the heart
6mg is the lowest dose they make, I would not be too worried about 6mg a day. If you are then don't use it but I don't see it causing any serious problem, then again I'm not a Dr.

AndShane

Awards
  • Established

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I will eat some oats or other grain or nuts just before I go to bed if it is extremely cold (under 32*F in my sleep area) because it will tend to raise my core temperature and let me sleep better.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Did some reading last night and found several articles on nicotine for bodybuilding contest prep. I don't think they would be using it if it bloated you or made you hold water. Any drastic diet changes? Oats canbloat your stomach but generally things like oats, berries, certain vegetables, anything fibrous should relieve water retention. Processed starches often make you hold water and feel bloated

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Did some reading last night and found several articles on nicotine for bodybuilding contest prep. I don't think they would be using it if it bloated you or made you hold water. Any drastic diet changes? Oats canbloat your stomach but generally things like oats, berries, certain vegetables, anything fibrous should relieve water retention. Processed starches often make you hold water and feel bloated
Important!