NutraBio calling out JYM for false protein claims

raul87

raul87

Awards
  • Established
I was kicked out of the Jym fan page for recommending other supps when asked lol

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
I was kicked out of the Jym fan page for recommending other supps when asked lol
Me too, the Justin kamb guy was saying to drink 12 scoops of whey a day and I called him a dumb ****

raul87

raul87

Awards
  • Established
Me too, the Justin kamb guy was saying to drink 12 scoops of whey a day and I called him a dumb ****
I called them out for saying they need to warn people when recommending prey jym for pre and post workout when they don't have post jym. Told them they need to tell people thats a **** load of caffeine and stim sensitive people will have a terrible experience. He responded by saying well yeah but we can drink it fine and maybe some people shouldn't and he closed the post. I probably cause about 10 post to be closed from further discussion

muree

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Dr jym should have used his phd acumen on known who not to pick on. Mark Glazier is a meticulous mofo :)

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I might agree a bit sensationalized, but misleading? Perhaps in regard to the comments about the facts panel?

first off, I like to say that Nutrabio protein is fully transparent.

his calculation of "Percent protein" is not a reflection of quality. Jym may have more fats, carbs and flavoring but doesn't change protein quality. its still 24grams of protein in each serving..

If I sold a protein without flavoring/sweetners,etc..(which under his calculation would be a 100% protein) it wouldn't be a "better" protein than Nutrabio.

Jym is obviously stating net protein on the front panel that matches to his nutrition facts panel of 24grams.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I mean, I just thought the video was good entertainment, but yeah, the "quality of protein" is misleading since I'm not really an isolate kinda guy.
I had a steak and broccoli but the broccoli dilutes the percent protein of my meal...is just eating a steak better....

JG93

JG93

Awards

his calculation of "Percent protein" is not a reflection of quality. Jym may have more fats, carbs and flavoring but doesn't change protein quality. its still 24grams of protein in each serving..

If I sold a protein without flavoring/sweetners,etc..(which under his calculation would be a 100% protein) it wouldn't be a "better" protein than Nutrabio.

Jym is obviously stating net protein on the front panel that matches to his nutrition facts panel of 24grams.

I believe the point he was trying to make was the percentage of protein in the tub.

Being jym is 69% to his 83%.

The protein with the additions takes away from the amount you actually receive.

That's his theory.
I agree with him, although I'm not a scientist

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I believe the point he was trying to make was the percentage of protein in the tub.

That's his theory.
that is what he wants you to believe..... and you do get more protein in Nutrabio (you also pay more)but that calculation has nothing to do with it....

point being...

I can have a 50% and a 90% and still have the same exact amount of protein in a tub...

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

That's his theory.
what is most interesting is the Nutrabio guy in a sense proved...well proved is a strong word... he made a very compelling argument that JYM doesn't formulate his products by not understanding Nutrabio's label...

JG93

JG93

Awards
that is what he wants you to believe..... and you do get more protein in Nutrabio (you also pay more)but that calculation has nothing to do with it....

point being...

I can have a 50% and a 90% and still have the same exact amount of protein in a tub...

I still disagree with that, due to the simple volume equation.
If you have 69.5% protein in a container that hold 4lbs, and 83% protein in the same type of container, essentially you might have the same amount of protein per scoop, but the yield like he speaks about would be much less.
I understand what you are saying though!
Protein is a sham anyway.
I only use my protein to supplement in and right after the gym.

I buy isolates, I wonder if the theory he has, would exist the same way..

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established

point being...

While this is true they would not be like sized containers.

In the ProJym and NutraBio example in this discussion they both appear to be 2lb containers so the percentage of protein per container does become a notable figure. Now the cost calculation does become relevant.

Yes, NutraBio is a more expensive, but if you compare the cost per 100g of protein, NutraBio may be 25/30 cents more per 100g of protein (this varies a bit depending in the flavoring). So as far as protein content, a like sized container of NutraBio yielding the same protein content as a container of ProJym would cost ~$1.50/$1.80 more.

I'm just throwing this out there for the sake of discussion. As I agree there is more variable to it than simply 69% vs. 83% protein.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Needed to be done

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I still disagree with that, due to the simple volume equation.
If you have 69.5% protein in a container that hold 4lbs, and 83% protein in the same type of container, essentially you might have the same amount of protein per scoop, but the yield like he speaks about would be much less.
I understand what you are saying though!
Protein is a sham anyway.
I only use my protein to supplement in and right after the gym.

I buy isolates, I wonder if the theory he has, would exist the same way..
protein is a sham but you use it...interesting mindset

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
While this is true they would not be like sized containers.

In the ProJym and NutraBio example in this discussion they both appear to be 2lb containers so the percentage of protein per container does become a notable figure. Now the cost calculation does become relevant.

Yes, NutraBio is a more expensive, but if you compare the cost per 100g of protein, NutraBio may be 25/30 cents more per 100g of protein (this varies a bit depending in the flavoring). So as far as protein content, a like sized container of NutraBio yielding the same protein content as a container of ProJym would cost ~$1.50/$1.80 more.

I'm just throwing this out there for the sake of discussion. As I agree there is more variable to it than simply 69% vs. 83% protein.
its not a container that holds exactly 2lbs.....

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To many people use it as their food.
It isn't meant for that.
I use it only how I should.
pre and post workout are not food times? Protein is considered a food.

JG93

JG93

Awards
I like to use it intra, as well as post, then eat some food.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
its not a container that holds exactly 2lbs.....
I'm not sure the point you are trying to make, other than it appears you are being picky about semantics. I was not specifically speaking about a container that will hold exactly 2 pounds but rather the amount of product that is being advertised as being sold in the container.

Per BBing.com the ProJym container has 2 pounds of ProJym it (890 grams). The Nutrabio Muscle Matrix is also being sold as a container with 2 pounds of Muscle Matrix in it (897 grams).

My previous point remains unchanged.

JG93

JG93

Awards
I'm not sure the point you are trying to make, other than it appears you are being picky about semantics. I was not specifically speaking about a container that will hold exactly 2 pounds but rather the amount of product that is being advertised as being sold in the container.

Per BBing.com the ProJym container has 2 pounds of ProJym it (890 grams). The Nutrabio Muscle Matrix is also being sold as a container with 2 pounds of Muscle Matrix in it (897 grams).

Thank you.
I didn't feel like digging the research up.
Trying to grill lol.
Usp is a cool cat though. We are all wrong sometimes.

EXCEPT ME

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Usp is a cool cat though. We are all wrong sometimes.
I have nothing bad to say about USP. He seems to be a knowledgeable and valued member of the forum. I enjoy a spirited discussion. In the end we can all agree to disagree :)

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So......If a person wears smaller underwear, the percentage of penis inside it becomes larger?

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established

the amounts of lactose and fats have no correlation to a protein powders quality? the usp labs protein write up begs to differ.

he compared fact panels tic for tack, and emphasized what made a protein clean and transparent, which although can be semantics, keeping in context who started this ordeal would yield a better depiction of why it was made out this way. that was probably the most objective product comparison ive seen, how it was misleading is beyond me.

chestdaytoday

Awards
Great job by Mark and NutraBio. Happy to see someone making a stand against Jim Stoppani and his bs hype.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Good vid, although I agree that the 67% vs 86% thing was a little distracting. How much protein per scoop is all that matters (assuming both are 70 or 90cc scoops and the total amount of powder in the container is close). Using Percentages is a marketing tactic in itself. I will say though, I got me some edumucation on the Source vs Yield thing, and loved the CFR mention.

JG93

JG93

Awards
Good vid, although I agree that the 67% vs 86% thing was a little distracting. How much protein per scoop is all that matters (assuming both are 70 or 90cc scoops and the total amount of powder in the container is close). Using Percentages is a marketing tactic in itself. I will say though, I got me some edumucation on the Source vs Yield thing, and loved the CFR mention.
How much protein per scoop isn't all that really matters... Quality matters a bunch..
To me at least.

quadruplebeef

Awards

No protein source is 100% protein. even very high isolates will still be mid 90s due to carbs, fats, cholesterol, and other naturally occurring nutrients.

what is most interesting is the Nutrabio guy in a sense proved...well proved is a strong word... he made a very compelling argument that JYM doesn't formulate his products by not understanding Nutrabio's label...

It's a little deeper than that. Jim never formulated or made anything for JYM. And now Bodybuilding.com is suing him for trying to trademark JYM even though it's a bodybuilding.com owned brand. The summons for Bodybuilding.com, LLC v. PhD Fitness, LLC et al is available online.

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I guess if you round up there both 2lbs...

to your logic, If I had 2lbs of Just protein poweder (no flavoring or sweetners), its a better quality than Nutrabia Muscle Matrix because my percentage is higher?

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No protein source is 100% protein. even very high isolates will still be mid 90s due to carbs, fats, cholesterol, and other naturally occurring nutrients.

It's a little deeper than that. Jim never formulated or made anything for JYM. And now Bodybuilding.com is suing him for trying to trademark JYM even though it's a bodybuilding.com owned brand. The summons for Bodybuilding.com, LLC v. PhD Fitness, LLC et al is available online.
I was using 100% for simplicity

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
How much protein per scoop isn't all that really matters... Quality matters a bunch..
To me at least.
That was a given for me, I assume both are good quality. I'm with USPLabs on this (OMG! :D) Good vid, lot's of good points, but either by intention or not, the percentages thing was a bit red small baitfish like :)

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I guess if you round up there both 2lbs...

to your logic, If I had 2lbs of Just protein poweder (no flavoring or sweetners), its a better quality than Nutrabia Muscle Matrix because my percentage is higher?
We are not trying to make the same point :) I am not specifically speaking of protein quality, although personally I try to skip the products with non-dairy creamer, I was speaking to the cost/gram of protein in regards to your comment that one would be paying more for Muscle Matrix than ProJym. Cost per ~2lb container, yes Muscle Matrix is almost 25% more expensive than ProJym however on a cost/gram of protein basis, a number that is personally more important to me than the cost of a given sized container, it only about 5% more expensive. A negligible amount IMO.