Novolin R - Pre Workout

Dominus

Dominus

Awards
Anyone running Novolin Pre workout? I don’t have a ton of experience with insulin but I want to start using a little on leg and chest days to help stimulate some growth. I can get faster acting insulin but for 25 bucks over the counter at Walmart, Novolin seems like a steal. Anyone care to share their protocol or what’s worked for them in regards to dosing and timing?

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Don't have an answer for you but I am curious. Do they have a long acting one like lantus? I'm guessing you'd have to dose it a couple hours before training scince I believe the half life is 3-4 hours and not 30 minutes like Humalog

Dominus

Dominus

Awards
Don't have an answer for you but I am curious. Do they have a long acting one like lantus? I'm guessing you'd have to dose it a couple hours before training scince I believe the half life is 3-4 hours and not 30 minutes like Humalog
Unfortunately the fast acting options are prescription only. I can get Lantus, but it’s expensive and I’m frugal. I’d like to make Novolin R work somehow… I have heard of people using it pre workout but I can’t find any protocols online

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I have a decent amount of experience and I’ve been using insulin with my gh for quite a while.

Novolin is really not ideal for bodybuilding. Usually for pre and post workout you’ll need a fast acting insuline like humalog. Lantus is usually used on top of that to give your pancreas a break on very high caloric surplus and hgh. Some people use it in the off season there’s two debates with that but I wouldn’t consider lantus as an amateur anyways.
Novolin is acting in like an hour and a half making is very tough to use. Sorry but you should find a way to get humalog.

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have a decent amount of experience and I’ve been using insulin with my gh for quite a while.

Novolin is really not ideal for bodybuilding. Usually for pre and post workout you’ll need a fast acting insuline like humalog. Lantus is usually used on top of that to give your pancreas a break on very high caloric surplus and hgh. Some people use it in the off season there’s two debates with that but I wouldn’t consider lantus as an amateur anyways.
Novolin is acting in like an hour and a half making is very tough to use. Sorry but you should find a way to get humalog.
Doesn't it have something to do with the novolin being recombinant unlike Humalog and humulin which aren't. When I was doing the little research I did do novolin was what was around in the 80s so you really had to be on top of your carbs log book and all. I was asking about the lantus specifically for when I start my off season protocol this fall. I'm thinking 20ius of lantus will be better than 1000mg of metformin

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

It's definitely not the ideal but I do know ppl who use novilin r becauseits easier to get sometimes. They take it like 1-1.5 hours pre workout so it peaks at the post workout meal. Timing is gonna be tricky for most ppl tho. But the one person in particular I'm thinking of is eating 100gm of carbs pre/intra and post workout. 300gm in a 3 -4 hour window and ther also using lantus in the morning and just switched to levimer. Guys eating 1000gm of carbs on his high days. He's more like you then the rest of us tho. He lives that bb lifestyle, never misses meals and weighs every grain of rice. He's on top of his shyt.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm still trying to learn more about insulin so I'm gonna shut up and watch from the crowd now👀

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It's definitely not the ideal but I do know ppl who use novilin r becauseits easier to get sometimes. They take it like 1-1.5 hours pre workout so it peaks at the post workout meal. Timing is gonna be tricky for most ppl tho. But the one person in particular I'm thinking of is eating 100gm of carbs pre/intra and post workout. 300gm in a 3 -4 hour window and ther also using lantus in the morning and just switched to levimer. Guys eating 1000gm of carbs on his high days. He's more like you then the rest of us tho. He lives that bb lifestyle, never misses meals and weighs every grain of rice. He's on top of his shyt.
It can work for sure, but really not ideal… normally you’d want a protein/carb meal with no fats or very minimum before taking your insulin, about an hour or so before hitting the gym , and ideally you would want another meal / drink before the gym. For exemple I’ll eat dinner at 1pm, have my pre workout meal at 4pm with my igf1, at 4:45pm I take 10iu of humalog, at 5:00 I’m on my way to the gym and I’m having 4 Rice Krispies treats (don’t recommend this to anybody but I have high metabolism so my coach gives me that, otherwise Rice cakes with jam or stuff like that would work). And I’ll train by 5:30.

It would be hard to have a timing like that on Novolin… but if that’s the only thing available I guess you can work it out you’re right… I guess I could come up with something if I had to you’re right. BUT if humalog was an option even if it’s more expensive I would go for that 100%.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I didn’t see this before I respond! You know what I can see it, the way your friend does it makes sense and he’s getting the most out of it. Timing is harder and plan has to be on point but I can see it yes! I’m curious if I would maybe do like your friend to have it peak post workout BUT I would do another dose my meal BEFORE pre workout so say you train after meal 3(pre workout) I would do some before meal 2 so that first dose would peak during training.

btw I know I’m debating a lot of what you’re saying these past couple days but it’s not to be a dick I like to question / see opinions of people I respect and value their knowledge. I find there’s always great info coming out of these discussions.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I didn’t see this before I respond! You know what I can see it, the way your friend does it makes sense and he’s getting the most out of it. Timing is harder and plan has to be on point but I can see it yes! I’m curious if I would maybe do like your friend to have it peak post workout BUT I would do another dose my meal BEFORE pre workout so say you train after meal 3(pre workout) I would do some before meal 2 so that first dose would peak during training.

btw I know I’m debating a lot of what you’re saying these past couple days but it’s not to be a dick I like to question / see opinions of people I respect and value their knowledge. I find there’s always great info coming out of these discussions.
It's all good, I also take in context that a lot of what you say is directly linked to bodybuilding and a lot of the things I say are not. Many times when you disagree with me, you think your disagreeing but were not. Your response is geared to someone living the bodybuilding lifestyle, but Bob down the street that's 18% bodyfat and eats 3 meals a day dosent need to, and even if he does he won't do the the bodybuilding lifestyle stuff. There's different ways to answer the same question for different people. I'm a muscular guy because I work out hard and heavy(when I'm not hurt) and eat a lot of food, but I don't look like a bodybuilder. You look like a bodybuilder because you eat and train like a bodybuilder. The things needed for your goals will greatly differ from mine and many of your policies would benifit me or Bob down the street. But for the bodybuilding life, our principles are not thst helpful to you because you need to be so much stricter. Sorry om not sure I'm wording everything correctly but I think it's understandable. And I'm actually Glas your a little more active because your perspective is a lot more first hand experience then many others have. Studies are great but they don't actually prove anything. Reald world applications are much more valuable given there accurately assessed

I got a bunch of levimer pens for free, like 20 so I gave half to my buddy to play with in place of hos lantus so he can help me learn. What he needs to do with it for his goals Is different then mine but the basics will be the same.

Last edited:

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Speaking from a body bulider/T1 diabetic perspective, I'm on Tresiba as my long acting. I pop 30 units every 48 hours. I will add roughly 6 units fast acting prior to meals, this includes pre and intra meals. I experimented with novolin r and found for me, 10 units 45 minutes pre workout is very predictable for 100 grams of carbs. I do not use it post workout as it lasts about 5 hours for me.

Dominus

Dominus

Awards
I have a friend who is doing the exact same thing with his Novolin and swears by it. I’m a big eater but the amount of carbs he puts in his body is INSANE. I will probably run something like this maybe 2-3 times a week tops on weak muscle groups I want to improve.

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have a friend who is doing the exact same thing with his Novolin and swears by it. I’m a big eater but the amount of carbs he puts in his body is INSANE. I will probably run something like this maybe 2-3 times a week tops on weak muscle groups I want to improve.
Let us know how it goes because obviously we all have access to novolin and I'm I woukd really like to experiment with insulin during this falls off season cycle

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It's all good, I also take in context that a lot of what you say is directly linked to bodybuilding and a lot of the things I say are not. Many times when you disagree with me, you think your disagreeing but were not. Your response is geared to someone living the bodybuilding lifestyle, but Bob down the street that's 18% bodyfat and eats 3 meals a day dosent need to, and even if he does he won't do the the bodybuilding lifestyle stuff. There's different ways to answer the same question for different people. I'm a muscular guy because I work out hard and heavy(when I'm not hurt) and eat a lot of food, but I don't look like a bodybuilder. You look like a bodybuilder because you eat and train like a bodybuilder. The things needed for your goals will greatly differ from mine and many of your policies would benifit me or Bob down the street. But for the bodybuilding life, our principles are not thst helpful to you because you need to be so much stricter. Sorry om not sure I'm wording everything correctly but I think it's understandable. And I'm actually Glas your a little more active because your perspective is a lot more first hand experience then many others have. Studies are great but they don't actually prove anything. Reald world applications are much more valuable given there accurately assessed

I got a bunch of levimer pens for free, like 20 so I gave half to my buddy to play with in place of hos lantus so he can help me learn. What he needs to do with it for his goals Is different then mine but the basics will be the same.
You’re completely right. I do need to work on seeing things in the other persons shoes more often!