Not gaining much size

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Did 5x5 for 6 weeks then now am doing 4 sets of 8 with the same workouts. Figured it would get more pump and size with the reps ... But all compound movements working up to heavier weights...everything I have read says the heaver the weight the bigger the gains... Squating 3 times a week also...just started this . this week. Just curious hope to start seeing some results in about 3 weeks. Any input or advice... Diet is pretty good little sloppy but not horrible. I am starting out tapping 155 on bench 4 sets of 8. Squat at 230 same sets. Deadlier is 2 sets of 5 for 235... If I make all sets and reps goal for the week I add 5lbs and hit it for the week

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
No cycle. Ran a bottle of legend on the 5x5 but not doing anything for the next 2 years plan to run this little log of workouts for 12 weeks. Been lifting for about 1.t years on off nothing serious here the last 2 months have been really been dedicated. Other than that I am 28. 5'6 180-175 body fat is high but more looking for a strongman not much bodybuilder. Those cells are like 5% lol

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Max ot training. ? Looks pretty good like a little altered view on 5x5 kind of .. Thanks man

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
You are impatient

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
I agree. We all are impatient. Lol. I am going on a cruise in August just want to get the best results and size.. Hookup and have fun lol

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
I agree. We all are impatient. Lol. I am going on a cruise in August just want to get the best results and size.. Hookup and have fun lol
Mind if I ask some stats?

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Yeah.. Like age and height and stuff or?

28 5'6 180ish. Body fat around 17 or 18

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Ok cool bro,just checking

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Yeah just going to keep hitting the weights heavy 3 times a week and let it come over time

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Just make sure diet is g2g and rest is good then you should see some results,best of luck

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Yeah diet is pretty good .. Work shift work and son in baseball so planning the best and keeping pretty strict but not perfect

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Yeah diet is pretty good .. Work shift work and son in baseball so planning the best and keeping pretty strict but not perfect
I've heard a lot worse that still gain tons,maybe try a platue busting workout or such

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
So you're looking to gain size?
Can you post your actual average daily food intake?
can you also post a pic and maybe highlight areas that you want to improve on?

I have always felt like I got gains from the reps I 'couldn't do'. meaning yeah I'd do my sets of 8-12 reps, but it was reps 13, 14, and 15 that felt like they gave me the progress I was looking for. or adding that last set. that drop set, that super set, that cheater rep, etc.

I'll also hit my big compound movements like squat, deadlift, press, clean, or snatch, then end the session with a hard isolation session.

so like today will probably be heavy bench for strength, lower reps. but i'll end with lots of body weight dips, flies, inclines, etc for the pump.

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Man solid advice man thank you... I just seen a couple friends I haven't seen in awhile and they commented on me gaining some size.. So was pretty cool. Like everyone has been saying I am going to stay heavy on the compounds and keep progress and weight going up

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Feel guilty only had time to do so dead lift and overhead press that's all .... Feel super guilty. Inwont get big doing this crap...had to vent

AaaPee

Awards
Really suggesting that you read some Paul Carter's articles or books. Has worked well for me, especially high rep compound movements near technical failure.

v4lu3s

Awards
  • Established
got to eat for size. i was eating 2800-3200 kcal a day and stalled in weight, though my strength was going up. went ahead and went nuts and jumped up to 5k a day and started making size gains fast. Apparently 500+ rep workouts and 3k calories was a bad combo (I was 232 and 6'2" at the time). Over a few weeks I was able to get to mid 240s, then got food poisoning from my one good cheat and lost 8 lbs in a week...anyway its all in the food...

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
True and good point but. I am a easy fat gainer so have to watch some of that extra food consumption

v4lu3s

Awards
  • Established
doesnt matter...if you are not getting bigger you are not eating enough.

Heavychevss

Awards
Two cents from an old guy- be patient, work hard at the basics to build strength, eat right, and get enough rest. With your limited committed time lifting I'd suggest sticking with the basic strength exercises forgetting the latest fad workouts until you get your foundation built. No need for super sets etc until you get a good base built- you would be amazed at the results possible with a workout based on bench, squat, deadlift, and rows. If you can't bench your body weight for 8 reps you don't need to worry about super sets and isolation exercises.

If you have only been hitting it consistently for 2 months your body is still in the muscle recruitment not muscle building stage. Keep at it and in 6 months you should see your lifts going up and in a year you should really start to see progress. The first year you should put on 10-15lbs of muscle which will look like even more muscle as your body fat drops.

Keep up the good work!

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Thanks for the encouragment and that's what i am going to do . . Figured it's like a house the foundation has to be strong if you want a solid house .... Can't be any different

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
As others here have said, I'm seeing that you are inpatient. 5X5 is a good program. One thing that you see come up A LOT about why people don't make progress is that they tend to get bored with a program and constantly switch. Progress comes from consistently adding weight to the bar. And I know some will argue how to train for hypertrophy vs. strength - but in reality they are linked. Maybe you can get a little more hypertrophy and a little less strength, but the difference is a 55% / 45% split rather than all or nothing. You have a good program, keep working it.

Also, many people think they're going to change their entire physique in 3 months or even a year. Most people overestimate what they can change in a year, but underestimate what they can do in 5 years. This takes time.

There are estimates out there that a genetically gifted individual can gain 20 pounds of muscle in their first year of working out, 10 pounds in their second year, 5 pounds in their third year, and then maybe 1-2 pounds per year after that. Muscle takes time. And if you keep jumping ship, you will never get there.

Firstcycle

Banned
Awards
Man solid advice and i just read a article that said simply put ... Stick to basics and point blank add weight to the bar every week... Time makes the most diffrence ... Not changing a thing for the the next 12 weeks simple compound excersises good diet and holding on for the ride.... Thanks to everyone. Super amazing people here