Not feeling better on T4 (Help)

Ranku12

Awards
I just started taking t4 from MAresearchchemicals at 25mcg and felt joint pain, suppressed appetite, fatigue, and jitters. Am i taking too much? Is there something about the fillers about levothyroxine or something? I am confused because I have hypothyroidism and feel like **** alot. I heard Synthroid has less fillers and people seem to react better to it but i dont know where to find the sourcing for it and i dont even know if thats the issue. Thank you for your time.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Can you be more specific for us? If you have a condition such as hypothyroidism, you should be asking a professional shouldn’t you? Also if you have this condition why aren’t you on a treatment already?

IM NO doctor so obviously take this only as an opinion but 25mcg is a very low dose if not completely useless? If I recall correctly people with hypothyroidism take between 100-260mcg?

I’m not too sure if you’re diagnosed with this or if it’s your own conclusion from bloodwork but you should talk to a doctor if you’re not

Ranku12

Awards
Can you be more specific for us? If you have a condition such as hypothyroidism, you should be asking a professional shouldn’t you? Also if you have this condition why aren’t you on a treatment already?

IM NO doctor so obviously take this only as an opinion but 25mcg is a very low dose if not completely useless? If I recall correctly people with hypothyroidism take between 100-260mcg?

I’m not too sure if you’re diagnosed with this or if it’s your own conclusion from bloodwork but you should talk to a doctor if you’re not
my tsh is 5 and my doctor doesnt want to treat me just because he says im too young (im 22)

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
As far as i know, a tsh of 5 is the end of the "okay" range and most doctors wouldn’t do anything about it. I’m not knowledgeable enough to know if 5 is a problem or not but I do know most people with such levels won’t receive treatment

Obviously there is genetic factors as well as lifestyle that can cause that and there is steps to possibly try BEFORE going on meds BUT those are things a doctor would tell you and he would try a couple things and then decide if you need meds.

Ranku12

Awards
As far as i know, a tsh of 5 is the end of the "okay" range and most doctors wouldn’t do anything about it. I’m not knowledgeable enough to know if 5 is a problem or not but I do know most people with such levels won’t receive treatment

Obviously there is genetic factors as well as lifestyle that can cause that and there is steps to possibly try BEFORE going on meds BUT those are things a doctor would tell you and he would try a couple things and then decide if you need meds.
yeah man ive tried quite a bit that included improving sleep diet and supplementation but nothing has helped my doctor doesnt care and it seems like its a running theme that doctors are apathetic and are not knowledgable about the thyroid.

Ranku12

Awards
I just started taking t4 from MAresearchchemicals at 25mcg and felt joint pain, suppressed appetite, fatigue, and jitters. Am i taking too much? Is there something about the fillers about levothyroxine or something? I am confused because I have hypothyroidism and feel like **** alot. I heard Synthroid has less fillers and people seem to react better to it but i dont know where to find the sourcing for it and i dont even know if thats the issue. Thank you for your time.
I should also mention that MA does seem extremely reliable and quality I just had a bad reaction to the drug itself due to my sensitivity to medication

Mike Arnold

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
While MA Research products are intended solely for use as reference materials, all the symptoms you pointed out are common with T4 and T3. There are no "fillers" (alcohol, glycerin and/or PG are the only carriers-solvents therein). Typically, at 25 mcg T4 daily, those symptoms usually don't occur, but they certainly can and it happens more frequently than some might think.

Jitters (e.g., anxiety):

Mood Disorders in Levothyroxine-Treated Hypothyroid Women

Abstract
Background: Hypothyroidism has several symptoms (weight gain, arrhythmias, mood changes, etc.). The aims of this study were (1) to assess the prevalence of anxiety and depression in levothyroxine-treated hypothyroid women and in women without hypothyroidism; (2) to identify variables associated with anxiety and depression. Methods: A case-control study was performed with 393 women. Case-group: 153 levothyroxine-treated hypothyroid women. Control-group: 240 women without hypothyroidism. Convenience sampling. Instrument: The Hamilton Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS), and a sociodemographic questionnaire. Results: The prevalence of anxiety in levothyroxine-treated hypothyroid women was higher than in women without hypothyroidism (29.4% vs. 16.7%, χ2p < 0.001). The prevalence of depression in the case group was higher than in the control group (13.1% vs. 4.6%, χ2 p < 0.001). Levothyroxine-treated hypothyroid women were more likely to have anxiety (OR = 2.08, CI: 1.28–3.38) and depression (OR = 3.13, IC = 1.45–6.45). Conclusion: In spite of receiving treatment with levothyroxine, women with hypothyroidism are more likely to have depression and anxiety. Health professionals need to assess the mood of women with hypothyroidism. Although levothyroxine is a good treatment for the symptoms of hypothyroidism, it may not be enough to prevent development or persistence of depression and anxiety by itself.

Anxiety and Depression among Patients with Thyroid Function Disorders
  • Abstract
Background: Psychiatric comorbidities are common in thyroid disorder patients and complicate patients' life quality as well as disease management. We aimed to explore prevalence of anxiety and depression and identify associated characteristics among patients with thyroid function disorder.
Methods: A descriptive, cross-sectional study was conducted on 129 thyroid disorder patients aged ?20 years. A semi-structured questionnaire, Beck Anxiety Inventory, and Beck Depression Inventory were used for sociodemographic characteristics, anxiety, and depression respectively. Group differences were compared (Chi square) or correlations were determined (Pearson's correlation coefficient).
Results: Patients' mean age was 38.09±12.68 years; most were females (102, 79.1%) and hypothyroid (90, 69.8%). Overall prevalence of anxiety and depression were 50.4% and 42.6% respectively. Anxiety was more prevalent in females (54.9% vs 33.3% in males, p=0.046), low economic status (73.9% vs 35.5% in higher status, p=0.019), and hyperthyroid (64.1% vs 44.4% in hypothyroid, p=0.040). Depression was more prevalent in females (47.1% vs 25.9% in males, p=0.048), Janajati ethnic group (54.8% vs 31.1% in Brahmin-Chhetri, p=0.002), lower economic status (69.6% vs 35.5% in higher status, p=0.016), and hyperthyroid (56.4% vs 36.7% in hypothyroid, p=0.037). Associations with occupation, marital status, family type, religion, and duration of illness were not significant.
Conclusions: Anxiety and depression are highly prevalent among thyroid disorder patients, especially in females, lower economic status, and hyperfunction type thyroid disorder. Management of thyroid disorders should incorporate treatment of anxiety and depression; routine psychiatric screening of the groups with higher prevalence is advisable.

Joint Pain:

Levothyroxine and Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: A Mini Review

Abstract
Levothyroxine or l-thyroxine is artificially manufactured thyroxine, which is used as a drug to treat underactive thyroid conditions in humans. The drug, levothyroxine, is consumed daily in a prescribed dose to replace the missing thyroid hormone thyroxine in an individual with an underactive thyroid, and it helps to maintain normal physiological conditions. Though it is a life-maintaining drug, it replaces the missing thyroid hormone and performs the necessary daily metabolic functions in our body. Like all other allopathic drugs, it comes with certain side effects, which include joint pain, cramps in muscle, weight gain/loss, hair loss, etc. The thyroid hormone, thyroxine, is known to mobilize fat in our body, including the ones from the hepatic system. An underactive thyroid may cause an accumulation of fat in the liver, leading to a fatty liver, which is clinically termed Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD). The correlation between hypothyroidism and NAFLD is now well-studied and recognized. As levothyroxine performs the functions of the missing thyroxine, it is anticipated, based on certain preliminary studies, that the drug helps to mobilize hepatic fat and thus may have a crucial role in mitigating the condition of NAFDL.

Appetite Suppression:

The central effects of thyroid hormones on appetite

Abstract
Obesity is a major public health issue worldwide. Current pharmacological treatments are largely unsuccessful. Determining the complex pathways that regulate food intake may aid the development of new treatments. The hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid (HPT) axis has well-known effects on energy expenditure, but its role in the regulation of food intake is less well characterized. Evidence suggests that the HPT axis can directly influence food intake. Thyroid dysfunction can have clinically significant consequences on appetite and body weight. Classically, these effects were thought to be mediated by the peripheral effects of thyroid hormone. However, more recently, local regulation of thyroid hormone in the central nervous system (CNS) is thought to play an important role in physiologically regulating appetite. This paper focuses on the role of the HPT and thyroid hormone in appetite and provides evidence for potential new targets for anti-obesity agents.

Fatigue:

Fatigue and fatigue-related symptoms in patients treated for different causes of hypothyroidism

Abstract
Objective: Research on determinants of well-being in patients on thyroid hormone replacement therapy is warranted, as persistent fatigue-related complaints are common in this population. In this study, we evaluated the impact of different states of hypothyroidism on fatigue and fatigue-related symptoms. Furthermore, the relationship between fatigue and the TSH receptor (TSHR)-Asp727Glu polymorphism, a common genetic variant of the TSHR, was analyzed.
Results: AIH patients scored significantly higher than DTC patients on all five MFI-20 subscales (P<0.001), independent of clinical and thyroid hormone parameters. The frequency of the TSHR-Glu727 allele was 7.2%. Heterozygous DTC patients had more favorable MFI-20 scores than wild-type DTC patients on four of five subscales. The modest effect of the TSHR-Asp727Glu polymorphism on fatigue was found in DTC patients only.
Conclusions: AIH patients had significantly higher levels of fatigue compared with DTC patients, which could not be attributed to clinical or thyroid hormone parameters. The modest effect of the TSHR-Asp727Glu polymorphism on fatigue in DTC patients should be confirmed in other cohorts.

Brain Fog in Hypothyroidism: What Is It, How Is It Measured, and What Can Be Done About It

Abstract
Background: Some levothyroxine (LT4)-treated hypothyroid patients report a constellation of persistent and distressing cognitive symptoms that has been termed brain fog. This narrative review focuses on attempts to define and measure hypothyroid-associated brain fog, summarize possible etiologies and contributing factors, present treatment options, and propose avenues for future research.

Results: Hypothyroid-associated brain fog has not been well defined or quantitated, and the underlying pathophysiology is unclear. Symptoms vary among patients but commonly include fatigue, depressed mood, and cognitive difficulties...

Last edited:

bigdadybry

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I would err on the side of caution at your age.
I assume your thyroid panel results are TSH high/T4 normal/T3 normal OR TSH high/T4 low/T3 slightly low (or within reference range)? In other words, with the high TSH your T3 and T4 are not both well below the lower reference range.
If you are going to self-medicate with a finicky gland like the thyroid, I would highly advise getting periodic lab panels to assess your progress.