No point in quitting, were all gonna die.

I know, I work construction, do some powerlifting and bodybuilding, I still box and wrestle and I'm pushing 40. I'm going to the grave in bits and pieces lol

totally cool bro. I just turned 40 yesterday and I love running circles around 20 somethings and looking 10 years + 100lbs better than my peers lol
 
October 13th 2022
HB squat & Deadlift training | week 2/12 session 2/2.

Lateral raises 2 X 25 X 22lbs
Rope tricep extension super set with Cable biceps curls 4 X 15/15 X "45"/"45"
High bar beltless squat 5 X 6 X 225lbs
Deadlift 5 X 5 X 225lbs
Thick & Wide grip pulldown 3 X 20 X "48"
Kettlebell swings 1 X 50 X 40lbs
Back extensions 2 X 20 X 25kg
Leg extension 0-5-3 tempo 2 X 10 X "24"
Leg curls 0-5-3 tempo 2 X 10 X "16"
Calf raises via Smith machine 1 X 100 X 25kg
Plank 2 sets, side plank 1 set, birdogs, light stretching
Cycling low intensity 10 minutes

Lowered the volume, main movements felt good - around 85-95 % normal.
Weight training took 60min, stretching and cardio took 20min.
10lbs lighter since starting the log (231 to 221), things going the right direction. Muscle wise not as hard on 250mg test pw as on a full blast but still starting to get in shape (Lower abs, cuts on my quads). Thinking of throwing in an low dose oral (20mg var/winny/tbol) wks 3-6 just to feel sexy again.
 
Your making me never wanna pick up anything heavy again with that injury list

The pulled lats was just easy stuff like Pulldowns I believe.

But that’s just the back list. I’ve had a few other little gems over the years
 
October 13th 2022
Body weight, Diet & Sleep


5hr sleep
Morning weight 221.8lbs

Macros
4,200kcal, 165g protein

Didnt have a single meal today - protein shake, 400kcal snadwich and the rest came from chocolate bars / candy.
No biggie, mentally i satisfied my sweet cravings for the rest of month :P
Also it's good to experience the lack of energy from eating like **** for a day - makes you appreciate the meat and veggies routine and stick to the diet.

Got my self 40tabs of 10mg var, gonna run it 20mg ed wks 4,5,6 just to enjoy some extra hardness when i get more body fat off.
 
The pulled lats was just easy stuff like Pulldowns I believe.

But that’s just the back list. I’ve had a few other little gems over the years
You know it's crazy, my biggest injuries are always doing something stupid. I'll go power clean 225 bench, bench 350 and rip a 500 lb deadlift and then I'll go home later that night and throw my back out picking up the TV remote 😂😂😂
 
October 13th 2022
Body weight, Diet & Sleep


5hr sleep
Morning weight 221.8lbs

Macros
4,200kcal, 165g protein

Didnt have a single meal today - protein shake, 400kcal snadwich and the rest came from chocolate bars / candy.
No biggie, mentally i satisfied my sweet cravings for the rest of month :P
Also it's good to experience the lack of energy from eating like **** for a day - makes you appreciate the meat and veggies routine and stick to the diet.

Got my self 40tabs of 10mg var, gonna run it 20mg ed wks 4,5,6 just to enjoy some extra hardness when i get more body fat off.
Just curious, why is your protein intake so low you're a big dude.. I'd have someone your size eating 250 plus grams of protein, very low fat and getting the remainder of their calories from carbohydrates on training days. Similar protein, lower carbs and a moderate amount of fat on there rest days
 
Just curious, why is your protein intake so low you're a big dude.. I'd have someone your size eating 250 plus grams of protein, very low fat and getting the remainder of their calories from carbohydrates on training days. Similar protein, lower carbs and a moderate amount of fat on there rest days
I dont like to live my life around a "diet".
Before this log i used to just make sure to get the minimal amount of proetin recommend which is 0.8g/kg and now i doubled it to the athletic recommend amount which is 1.6g/kg as a minimum.
On days i eat more meat its get to the 2g+/kg but on days like the day i ate 1,700kcal then shooting for 250+ grams of protein sounds just so miserable.
Also not into dramtic changes , going from 80-120 to 160-200 is already a good step. But from 80-120 a day to 250-300g a day? Too dramtic too fast in my opinion.
 
I dont like to live my life around a "diet".
Before this log i used to just make sure to get the minimal amount of proetin recommend which is 0.8g/kg and now i doubled it to the athletic recommend amount which is 1.6g/kg as a minimum.
On days i eat more meat its get to the 2g+/kg but on days like the day i ate 1,700kcal then shooting for 250+ grams of protein sounds just so miserable.
Also not into dramtic changes , going from 80-120 to 160-200 is already a good step. But from 80-120 a day to 250-300g a day? Too dramtic too fast in my opinion.
I'm not saying good go up in numbers that fast but my children eat about 150 g of protein a day some days it just seems like a very low amount for someone doing any form of athletic activity. I also don't live my life around a diet, but I'm always hungry and I have a big appetite and it's very easy for me to eat 50 to 60 g of protein per meal. I'm actually quite the opposite of you if I'm not eating five protein heavy meals a day I feel miserable. Not necessarily because a lack of protein but just because I like to eat steak and chicken ect.
 
You also said you're not into dramatic changes but it seems like you're making dramatic changes from day to day 2,000 calories one day 4,000 the next 160 g of protein one day 200 on another day.

Those are extreme changes
 
You also said you're not into dramatic changes but it seems like you're making dramatic changes from day to day 2,000 calories one day 4,000 the next 160 g of protein one day 200 on another day.

Those are extreme changes
Not eating the same daily was my routine for years...it's not dramtic.
When i'm busy/not hungry i dont eat a alot, on days i'm not as busy/very hungry (usually training days) i eat a lot.
I think you will find that "normal" people also are like this...just guys into fitness track daily intakes and try to make it "stable".
 
Just curious, why is your protein intake so low you're a big dude.. I'd have someone your size eating 250 plus grams of protein, very low fat and getting the remainder of their calories from carbohydrates on training days. Similar protein, lower carbs and a moderate amount of fat on there rest days

Look at the day in context. This day is over 1,000 calorie surplus for him currently. When frequently consuming carbohydrate pulses (from candy or otherwise) & in a hypercaloric state, protein needs for muscle maintenance become comically low. 165g is overkill even.

Now flip that to his hypocaloric fat-loss days, and minimal protein needs become much more substantial (1.6g/kg), as well as being able to benefit from higher/frequent protein consumption for greater nitrogen retention beyond that. He really wants to be eating 200+ those days, in at least 4 total feedings or more, to get the most lean mass retention possible.

You’re suggested way of eating is probably optimal to cover all bases, opportunity of growth, keeps the diet consistent, but it’s not going to be for everyone. 80% of the results comes from only 20% of the nuance.
 
Look at the day in context. This day is over 1,000 calorie surplus for him currently. When frequently consuming carbohydrate pulses (from candy or otherwise) & in a hypercaloric state, protein needs for muscle maintenance become comically low. 165g is overkill even.

Now flip that to his hypocaloric fat-loss days, and minimal protein needs become much more substantial (1.6g/kg), as well as being able to benefit from higher/frequent protein consumption for greater nitrogen retention beyond that. He really wants to be eating 200+ those days, in at least 4 total feedings or more, to get the most lean mass retention possible.

You’re suggested way of eating is probably optimal to cover all bases, opportunity of growth, keeps the diet consistent, but it’s not going to be for everyone. 80% of the results comes from only 20% of the nuance.
My only point is that having a little structure would produce better results. And while minimal protein requirements might be low, when using anabolics even tho you don't "need" extra protein, your body can make use of much more protein.

I see the numbers he's put up and I can't help but think of how much is being left on the table.

He's got some great numbers that could be mind blowing numbers if he filled in the gaps
 
this is why logs are so great. Right now it looks like the Kid is at his target bodyweight (give or take 2lbs) so it's about building strength and maintaining or losing even just the tiniest amount of fat. IMO it leaves the nutritional aspect much more flexible when your goals don't include dropping or adding another 10-20lbs.
 
Week 2/12 - Summary - training, diet and body weight.

Training

Very minor discomfort injury wise, better conditioning, better mobility and less DOMS - the plan is to take it slow and build confidence while deadlifting with a "tighter" form and then when it's time to pull the trigger and go ape **** .
HB squats still beltless, maybe will finish this micro cycle at 400+lbs beltless hb ATG squat at week 5 (which will be marked as the end of "rehab") along side mid 4's DL volume work. (Not challenging weights for me but a good place to be 7 weeks out and only on a "cruise").
Less frequent training, no real difference felt.
Cardio still minimal at 70min.

Body Weight
Sunday 224.45lbs | Monday 227.35lbs | Tuesday 225.5lbs | Wednesday 223.3lbs | Thursday 221.8lbs | Friday 221lbs | Saturday 220.8lbs
Weekly Avg - 223.45lbs (-2.75lbs)
Lowest - 220.8lbs (-3lbs)

Good progress, hope to keep dropping weight this fast so i could eat more while peaking for the meet towards the end of the 12 weeks.

Total weekly calorie intake - 22,050kcal
Daliy avg - 3,150kcal

I'm less hungry, less "hypoglycemic" in between meals (maybe better insulin sensitivity?). Relying heavy on whey protein while still getting meat/veggies/fiber/yummy foods and i don't know if its a good/bad thing.

Sleep was worse, in between work and the lack of self discipline to go to bed earlier - total **** show.
 
Week 2/12 - Summary - training, diet and body weight.

Training

Very minor discomfort injury wise, better conditioning, better mobility and less DOMS - the plan is to take it slow and build confidence while deadlifting with a "tighter" form and then when it's time to pull the trigger and go ape **** .
HB squats still beltless, maybe will finish this micro cycle at 400+lbs beltless hb ATG squat at week 5 (which will be marked as the end of "rehab") along side mid 4's DL volume work. (Not challenging weights for me but a good place to be 7 weeks out and only on a "cruise").
Less frequent training, no real difference felt.
Cardio still minimal at 70min.

Body Weight
Sunday 224.45lbs | Monday 227.35lbs | Tuesday 225.5lbs | Wednesday 223.3lbs | Thursday 221.8lbs | Friday 221lbs | Saturday 220.8lbs
Weekly Avg - 223.45lbs (-2.75lbs)
Lowest - 220.8lbs (-3lbs)

Good progress, hope to keep dropping weight this fast so i could eat more while peaking for the meet towards the end of the 12 weeks.

Total weekly calorie intake - 22,050kcal
Daliy avg - 3,150kcal

I'm less hungry, less "hypoglycemic" in between meals (maybe better insulin sensitivity?). Relying heavy on whey protein while still getting meat/veggies/fiber/yummy foods and i don't know if its a good/bad thing.

Sleep was worse, in between work and the lack of self discipline to go to bed earlier - total **** show.
Typically when your weight is coming down through a caloric deficit and exercise your insulin sensitivity will improve so that's definitely possible. As far as the whey goes, I'd rather see someone eat real food over whey but I also don't think it's the end of the world. I think it's probably more important for a physique athlete then a strength athlete.

I might have missed it but when was your Injury? Like how long has it been
 
Typically when your weight is coming down through a caloric deficit and exercise your insulin sensitivity will improve so that's definitely possible. As far as the whey goes, I'd rather see someone eat real food over whey but I also don't think it's the end of the world. I think it's probably more important for a physique athlete then a strength athlete.

I might have missed it but when was your Injury? Like how long has it been
Sep 23rd had a meet, wanted 707lbs but at my 2nd attempt with 678 just creating tension at the bottom heard and felt a loud pop at my upper glute-low back area.
Couldn't walk for 2 days and wasn't able to bend down for a week (to any degree).
Took 1,000mg ibuprofen 4 times a day (with aspirin, dipyrone and naproxen in between) because the pain was unbearable and gained 20lbs in a week from pizza and ice cream (literally the only food available for a couple a days at that time).

Now just over 3 weeks over, about to get back to 300lbs+ deadlifts and lost the 20lbs that i gained post meet.
 
October 16th 2022
HB squat & Deadlift training | week 3/12 session 1/2.

Lateral raises 2 X 20 X 28lbs
Rope tricep extension super set with Cable biceps curls 3 X 12/12 X "50"/"50"
High bar beltless squat 5 X 5 X 275lbs
Deadlift 5 X 5 X 265lbs
Thick & Wide grip pulldown 3 X 20 X "56"
Kettlebell swings 1 X 50 X 40lbs
Back extensions 2 X 20 X 66lbs
Leg extension 0-5-3 tempo 2 X 8 X "32"
Leg curls 0-5-3 tempo 2 X 8 X "24"
Calf raises w/10kg sandbag 1 X 100
Plank 2 sets, side plank 1 set, birdogs, light stretching
Cycling low intensity 35 minutes

Good training, first intensity zone(60%+) that isn't a joke in the SQ, new DL form starts to become efficient (but 40% is too low to know for sure).
No remains of the injury, thursday 300's~ at SQ/DL.
Also weighted under 100KG (220.45lbs) this morning.
Took longer rest periods for more quality reps when working on form.
Weight training took 90min,
Stretching and cardio 45min.
 
October 16th 2022
Body weight, Diet & Sleep


6hr sleep
Morning weight 220.3lbs

Macros
6,000kcal, 320g protein

Sunday funday, under 220.4 (my weight class) @ 9.5 weeks out and had almost 1.5g/lb protein so all good.
 
October 16th 2022
Body weight, Diet & Sleep


6hr sleep
Morning weight 220.3lbs

Macros
6,000kcal, 320g protein

Sunday funday, under 220.4 (my weight class) @ 9.5 weeks out and had almost 1.5g/lb protein so all good.
Nice lol, I did a bench only competition on Saturday and I had to loose about 10lbs in to days leading up to it to make 198, did a normal carb up after weight in and after it was over I started eating, and eating and eating lol. Ended up with around 7,500 cal and 1200gm carbs by the end 😂
 
Nice lol, I did a bench only competition on Saturday and I had to loose about 10lbs in to days leading up to it to make 198, did a normal carb up after weight in and after it was over I started eating, and eating and eating lol. Ended up with around 7,500 cal and 1200gm carbs by the end 😂
Yea i had to cut 4lbs as well last time.
This is why i am trying to lose more weight the next 4-6 weeks so i will have "room to grow" into the meet instead of cutting weight. Weight cuts always suck and hinder performance.
 
Yea i had to cut 4lbs as well last time.
This is why i am trying to lose more weight the next 4-6 weeks so i will have "room to grow" into the meet instead of cutting weight. Weight cuts always suck and hinder performance.
Oh ya it definitely sucks. My normal in shape walk around weight is 295-210 "I'm only 5'9" I did a in house comp in the past at 220 and I was too small, so I cut to 198. But I will actual have to starve down to 178 sometimes to fight. I actually gotta do that in January. It's miserable.

I'm not a power lifter by the way I don't have numbers anywhere close to yours. I like to work out like a bodybuilder and I like to train for boxing and MMA and stuff like that and I just do it marginally competitive trying to squeeze in a few more fights before I'm 40 years old "37 at the moment"

But I like to compete when something pops up. Don't even really care what it is I just like to be competitive or try to be. @198 my bench is 360 and deadlift was 508 last time. I kind of had to give up on the lifting though because I keep getting lower back injuries. I can make it through little four to six week blocks but that's about it
 
At 200lbs I'm not ripped but I'm reasonable lean, Invalid Link Removed
So when I cut to 178 I basically have to starve myself. My bench press went down almost 50lbs last time I cut to 178
 
October 17th 2022
Body weight, Diet & Sleep


7hr sleep
Morning weight 222.4lbs

Macros
3,150kcal, 260g protein

Medium day.
Went higher calories, higher protein to recover a bit better.
 
October 18th 2022
Upper body pump session - Wk 3/12



Bench press 2x6x220lbs
DB lateral raises 2x25x14lbs
Machine chest press Drop set 10x66lbs, 15x44lbs, 25x22lbs
45lbs plate front raises super set with curls 2x 10 + 15 reps
Machine plate loaded pulldown, reverse grip 2x15x145lbs
Rope tricep extension 1x50x44lbs
DB side bend 1x20x66lbs
Treadmill high incline (10) for 35min (distance: 2.7km)
 
October 19th 2022
Body weight, Diet & Sleep



4hr sleep
Morning weight 220.6lbs


Macros
2,800kcal, 160g protein


Studying for an exam,
Only had a sandwich this morning and an omelette afternoon.
The rest was coffee flavored whey w/caffeine, sugary energy drinks, coffee&cookies.
Probably consumed 1,250mg~ caffeine.
 
October 20th 2022
HB squat & Deadlift training | week 3/12 session 2/2.


Lateral raises 2 X 20 X 28lbs
Rope tricep extension super set with Cable biceps curls 4 X 12/12 X "50"/"50"
High bar beltless squat 5 X 3 X 290lbs
Deadlift 5 X 5 X 315lbs
Thick & Wide grip pulldown 12,20,25 X "64"
Kettlebell swings 1 X 50 X 40lbs
Back extensions 2 X 20 X 77lbs
Leg extension 0-5-3 tempo 2 X 8 X "32"
Leg curls 0-5-3 tempo 2 X 8 X "24"
Calf raises w/10kg sandbag 1 X 100
Plank 2 sets, side plank 1 set, birdogs, light stretching
Cycling low intensity 5 minutes


Felt Fabulous XoXoXo <3
85min weights, 15min stretching and cardio.
Squats were nice, butt touching the calves each rep. Very good rhythm.
New deadlift form has my speed off the floor a bit slower but more stable at the knees where usually my sticking point (at, or right above the knee).
Next week 5x5x405lbs (nothing "scary" for a 700+ deadlifter but a good indicator for efficiency of movement).
HAD THE WORST CALF CRAMP ON PULLDOWNS, omfg thats why it wasnt 3x20 - my calf was hard as a rock and right behind my knee.
Excited for next week, adding anavar at 20mg for weeks 4,5,6 (just as a motivator) and trying to do better job at eating good. (This week i ate more at maintenance even that i hit a new body weight low of 219.2lbs today).
 
October 20th 2022
HB squat & Deadlift training | week 3/12 session 2/2.



Lateral raises 2 X 20 X 28lbs
Rope tricep extension super set with Cable biceps curls 4 X 12/12 X "50"/"50"
High bar beltless squat 5 X 3 X 290lbs
Deadlift 5 X 5 X 315lbs
Thick & Wide grip pulldown 12,20,25 X "64"
Kettlebell swings 1 X 50 X 40lbs
Back extensions 2 X 20 X 77lbs
Leg extension 0-5-3 tempo 2 X 8 X "32"
Leg curls 0-5-3 tempo 2 X 8 X "24"
Calf raises w/10kg sandbag 1 X 100
Plank 2 sets, side plank 1 set, birdogs, light stretching
Cycling low intensity 5 minutes


Felt Fabulous XoXoXo <3
85min weights, 15min stretching and cardio.
Squats were nice, butt touching the calves each rep. Very good rhythm.
New deadlift form has my speed off the floor a bit slower but more stable at the knees where usually my sticking point (at, or right above the knee).
Next week 5x5x405lbs (nothing "scary" for a 700+ deadlifter but a good indicator for efficiency of movement).
HAD THE WORST CALF CRAMP ON PULLDOWNS, omfg thats why it wasnt 3x20 - my calf was hard as a rock and right behind my knee.
Excited for next week, adding anavar at 20mg for weeks 4,5,6 (just as a motivator) and trying to do better job at eating good. (This week i ate more at maintenance even that i hit a new body weight low of 219.2lbs today).
Yeah I hate Calf cramps, and they always seem to hit me at the oddest times.
Looks like your metabolism must be speeding up and you might have a new maintenance.
 
Sounds like the new technique is definitely worthwhile.

It doesn’t matter how fast you can blast a heavier weight off the floor if you end up in a poor position to finish the pull.
 
Your numbers look pretty good for a guy "rebuilding" from an injury, IMO. I realize that they're comparatively low to your goals and past numbers but they still look good to me. Would love to see your A2G squats. I've never really thought about the ass to calves before, I'll have to pay better attention. although I know when I started olympic lifting, holy **** my squats got low.
 
Your numbers look pretty good for a guy "rebuilding" from an injury, IMO. I realize that they're comparatively low to your goals and past numbers but they still look good to me. Would love to see your A2G squats. I've never really thought about the ass to calves before, I'll have to pay better attention. although I know when I started olympic lifting, holy **** my squats got low.
Im a bit embarrassed to film under 3 plate squat lol, so next week will upload some vids.
 
Yeah I hate Calf cramps, and they always seem to hit me at the oddest times.
Looks like your metabolism must be speeding up and you might have a new maintenance.
Yea but this week i will avg 3.4k-3.5k kcals daily.
With 75min of very light cardio and not as active daily as i used to be.
Seems bizarre that my weight drop.
At 207 i was avg 2,750kcal daily and doing 450min of cardio a week while working a kinda physical job 8-12 hours a day.
 
Im a bit embarrassed to film under 3 plate squat lol, so next week will upload some vids.
it is what it is man, no shame in good form regardless of weight. my PRs at 180-185lbs are only 280/345/455 bench/squat/pull although in the past I trained for xfit comps so strength wasn't the top priority. today I looked over my logs and in 2015 I was training the EXACT same weights I'm training today at age 40... either yay for me cause i'm 40 and maintaining or WTF man lol
 
it is what it is man, no shame in good form regardless of weight. my PRs at 180-185lbs are only 280/345/455 bench/squat/pull although in the past I trained for xfit comps so strength wasn't the top priority. today I looked over my logs and in 2015 I was training the EXACT same weights I'm training today at age 40... either yay for me cause i'm 40 and maintaining or WTF man lol

You’ve taken a lot of time off from the gym the last year. If you aren’t upset about that, then I would not be upset with the numbers at all. You really can’t walk away from strength training more than a couple weeks at a time and not effect progress. Especially when you are similar bodyweight.

Strength training, with or without drugs, takes a lot of consistency and time after a certain point for everyone. Nevermind injuries and life stress! It’s a grind.
 
You’ve taken a lot of time off from the gym the last year. If you aren’t upset about that, then I would not be upset with the numbers at all. You really can’t walk away from strength training more than a couple weeks at a time and not effect progress. Especially when you are similar bodyweight.

Strength training, with or without drugs, takes a lot of consistency and time after a certain point for everyone. Nevermind injuries and life stress! It’s a grind.

no argument, you dead right. not to derail the kids thread but yeah last week when I was back in the 400s, this week hitting bench sets at 225 I was pretty damn happy since I've only been "back" at training for about 6 weeks. since 2015 I moved 3 times, tore a ligament in my back, got divorced, got married, bought a gym, sold a gym, etc etc lol. things are good.
 
Layne Norton has a post about his legs. A lady asked him how long it took for him to build those legs. he said "20 years".
I think about that a lot and at 40 I'm grateful that even with it's up and downs, I've more or less been in the gym my entire life.
 
October 21th 2022
Body weight, Diet & Sleep



8hr sleep
Morning weight 223.05lbs


Macros
3,600kcal, 225g protein
 
October 22th 2022
Body weight, Diet & Sleep



2hr sleep
Morning weight 224.15lbs


Macros
3,650kcal, 200g protein
 
Week 3/12 - Summary - training, diet and body weight.


Training

Feeling good and healthy, not much to say.
Weight got heavy enough to ensure i am not a cripple but too light to be an indicator for strength.
Cardio still minimal at 75min.
May up the cardio drastically next week.


Body Weight
Sunday 220.3lbs | Monday 222.4lbs | Tuesday 222.5lbs | Wednesday 220.6lbs | Thursday 219.2lbs | Friday 223.05lbs | Saturday 224.15lbs
Weekly Avg - 221.75lbs (-1.7lbs)
Lowest - 219.2lbs (-1.6lbs)


More of a light surplus week then cutting, allowed my self to eat more after i got u100kg on sunday.
A 2 step forward 1 step back type of thing after reaching my "main goal" of u220.
Now my "secondary" goal of reaching at least u215lbs the next 6 weeks comes to mind.


Total weekly calorie intake - 27,300kcal
Daliy avg - 3,900kcal


Adding the anavar for the next 3 weeks so will try to step it up and lose more body fat.
My goal is to loss enough body weight so 3 weeks out i could start a "lean bulk" towards the meet and still be under 100kg.


Sleep was worse, weird time switching from working full time to university.
So had no real structure and mixed events.
Next week starting to get more structure so sleep will get to 6-8 hrs most nights.
 
Back
Top