No fat increase from excess protein even in caloric surplus???

Pinggolfee96

Awards
  • Established
I have always been taught and as well as preach calories in vs calories out for weight loss regardless of the macronutrients, but I watch a lot of videos created by Jerry Brainium(YouTube him if you don't know who he is). And he states in multiple videos that studies on people who took in excess calories that were mainly derived from protein did not gain any fat. They also just posted an article on this website stating the same thing and having people run 2 eight week studies where they ran moderate protein and maintence calories then ramped up their calories to a surplus coming from protein and no fat was gained. I'm confused on this considering any excess of energy should be converted into muscle/ fat? Just curious on your opinion/ view of the topic. Thanks!

Georgiepecker

Georgiepecker

Awards
  • Established
I believe it makes sense that you will gain SIGNIFICANTLY LESS fat eating protein rich and lean foods. Lean bulking at a small 300-400 surplus on the best foods possible for your body, id imagine you'd see a bit more muscle gain vs fat compared to just consuming 'calories' in order to gain weight. Who knows if it's possible to gain absolutely no fat while bulking naturally. I am no nutritionist though!

As for the study they posted, can you link it. How did they index them to know that no fat was gained, etc

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thing is if you eating right at maintenance at you only add protein you still will be at maintenance or potential below as the increase in metabolism due to the increased protein

APC80

APC80

Awards
I think protein uses up a lot of calories to digest that's why the Atkins diet worked so well.

Tylerclee

Tylerclee

Awards
  • Established
I think protein uses up a lot of calories to digest that's why the Atkins diet worked so well.
The calories to digest is thermogenic value, and protein is about 30% iirc. Protein and fiber should be the highest but theoretically it still leaves 70% calories after thermogenic value.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Here is an interesting article I came across today.

For eight weeks, participants scarfed down a high protein diet at over 3 grams per kilogram, per day – which for a 220 pound person (100 kg) is 300 grams of protein per day. They coupled it with a periodized heavy resistance training program. During the other 8 week period they consumed their normal, lower protein diet.

The results? Even though the high protein group was eating more calories in the form of protein, there were no significant changes in body composition – they didn't get fat despite the increased calories. Nor did they see changes in markers of health in either group (blood lipids, glucose, renal, kidney function etc.).
https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/the-effects-of-eating-truckloads-of-protein

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
From what I've read in the past, protien cannot be stored as fat and therefore if the excess calories are from protein, you won't gain any fat. If ones carbs and fats are already being used up, adding more protien could only make the person burn more calories if they could use more protien in their diet. That said, I don't remember where I heard that and can't post any study backing it up.