NMN FDA says not a dietary supplement

Stachio

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Fabricant, a former FDA official who oversaw the Division of Dietary Supplement Programs from 2011 until 2014, added, “There’s no reason why the agency couldn’t begin a policy of enforcement discretion here on NMN immediately, even if it is draft or interim.”
Such a proposal could keep NMN available as a dietary supplement in the U.S. but is likely to face resistance from the clinical-stage pharma company researching the ingredient as a drug: Metro International Biotech.

SSJ4GOD

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Really? I had heard the opposite, but I have yet to try either. What’s the difference?
So a lot of anti aging people prefer NMN but… NR is more studied and… “The molecular structures of NMN and NR are roughly the same, except NMN has an added phosphate group. This added phosphate group makes NMN a larger molecule than NR. Some scientists believe NMN is too large to cross cellular membranes and must convert to NR before entering cells, where NAD+ biosynthesis occur”.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So a lot of anti aging people prefer NMN but… NR is more studied and… “The molecular structures of NMN and NR are roughly the same, except NMN has an added phosphate group. This added phosphate group makes NMN a larger molecule than NR. Some scientists believe NMN is too large to cross cellular membranes and must convert to NR before entering cells, where NAD+ biosynthesis occur”.
Gotcha. Yeah I’ve never researched them myself, just read some articles. Do you notice a difference when taking them?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Fabricant, a former FDA official who oversaw the Division of Dietary Supplement Programs from 2011 until 2014, added, “There’s no reason why the agency couldn’t begin a policy of enforcement discretion here on NMN immediately, even if it is draft or interim.”
Such a proposal could keep NMN available as a dietary supplement in the U.S. but is likely to face resistance from the clinical-stage pharma company researching the ingredient as a drug: Metro International Biotech.

This is one of those situations that is going to be very very confusing to the average consumer to try to follow and understand and it's probably best just to let it play out and see how it goes.

At face value, its a situation reminiscent of some other ones where brands and suppliers try to do things the right way and submit NDI's for ingredients to then turn around and be told later on that they can't or shouldn't be selling them when they were originally told they could or led to believe that they could be.

This kind of reminds me a little of the NAC situation - not all the details, but just the face value of it - that a supplement that was so popular and had been sold openly for so long all of a sudden came under scrutiny and its future being uncertain.

I'm interested to see how Amazon reacts to this because normally when this type statement comes out, Amazon pulls them all down very quickly but NMN is a huge money making category for Amazon and I'm curious if they'll pull this one. A lot of people have speculated that at some point Amazon may take a stand themselves and stop pulling ingredients every time the FDA raises a question mark about them.

NR is better anyways
I think that is very debatable and may even depend on the individual in that one may work better for some people and the other for someone else.

I think that there is far too much research and real world feedback showing benefits of NMN to say that it doesn't work.

As far as which one is better, there is a lot of money to be made from that argument.

Chromadex has the patent on NR and sells it as NIAGEN® and has actively fought against companies being able to sell NMN from the time that NMN has come out. That is certainly their right, but its important to keep in mind that its ultimately a business and profit based decision on their end, so as a consumer its good to be objective.

Here's a huge issue that I rarely see people talking about and that is that much of the NR on the market is counterfeit and some brands, even some well-known brands are claiming to offer NIAGEN® when they are not.

This led Chromadex to publicly acknowledging that if you want to buy real NIAGEN®, you only have two options:

TRU NIAGEN® – Directly from Chromadex
NAD+ Cell Regenerator™ – Life Extension

Copy and paste directly from Chromadex website:

NR is a patented ingredient, only sold as NIAGEN®. ChromaDex holds the patent rights to NR, and sells the ingredient to consumers as TRU NIAGEN®.

Purchase from these Authorized Distributors:
TRU NIAGEN® – Directly from ChromaDex
NAD+ Cell Regenerator™ – Life Extension

Source link:

Have you seen this ?

Hard to know what to believe on that because its one of those things where now days sometimes it seems like you can find a study to back up almost anything.

I do find the timing a bit suspicious in light of the FDA statement and also bc the company that has the rights to NR is a huge very well connected company and has been fighting against NMN the entire time to protect their own profits (which I totally understand from a business perspective).

I do think that there's also the complex reality that there may be ingredients that can be great for overall health because of activities they have on healthy cells that may also unfortunately have negative consequences on unhealthy ones.