Newbie training plans

JackNant

Awards
Getting back to the gym for the first time since high school

This is what I’ve been doing for 2 weeks so far.

Does anyone see any issue with the following plan?

The workout:

10minute jog/ HIIT to warm up

Squat 5x5
Pause bench press 3x8
Barbell/ tbar row 3x8
Deadlift 3x8
Inverted row 3x10
Barbell curls 3x8

Adding a few more lbs each session

The nutrition:
(I’m 195 lbs @28% body fat. Goal is to recomp back to muscle)

160g protien

150g carbs

90g fat

2200cal

This seems to be my wall for food intake. I’m constantly stuffed getting this much in, but I got to start somewhere right? Lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Recomp is the slowest way to make progress, given your just getting back it will automatically happen, but if 2200 calories has you stuffed and your body fat is 28%. I don't see any reason why you can't just eat less for the time being.

Drop the fat down to about 60gm, keep your carbs mostly around your workout and keep beating the log book.

Full body workouts are fantastic for beginners, someone coming off a lay off or just as a way to get your strength up and burn a lot of calories.

Keep up the good work.

I made this thread a while ago and I kinda stopped working on the thread

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Take a look at Smont's link, tons of good info there.

You'll get your best results if you stick to whatever training program you can do consistently. If that means an easier program than the one you have, then adjust it. If you can stick to something without having to make it more complicated to keep it interesting, then stick to what you got.

It's very easy to get in the mindset of thinking that training is going to be the only thing that gets you results. And while training is important, there's a million ways to effectively do it, especially for a beginner.

If your main goal is to improve your physique, you need to dial in your diet. You need a diet plan that you can stick with that can get the weight off, and keep it off. That means you need a diet that you can live with for the long haul.

So, if your current diet is working for you, and you see consistent weight loss (measure daily and track your weekly average), then keep doing what you're doing. But understand that you'll probably hit sticking points and will need to change things up from time to time.

If you want to get a solid diet plan going, look up Renaissance Periodization on youtube and find the fat burning lecture series (it's like an 8 part series). Normally I just post links here for people to click, but I think if you have to put in the work to find it yourself you might value the information more. They're not gonna try to sell you anything and they're not gonna give you weight loss gimmicks, you're just gonna learn a very effective fat burning (ie weight loss) strategy.

I'm glad you found these forums, I hope you stick with your plan and achieve your fitness goals.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That looks like a perfectly fine starting point and there isn't anything you are doing that would warrant any immediate changes.

You didn't specify, but how often are you training?

Nutrition should be fine for now as well if that is all you can stomach, you should lose some weight with that (most likely) and being new to training again should still add some muscle anyways.

Just keep plugging away and then as you get further in your journey you may need to make some small changes if things stall, but again that is a good start. Good luck!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That looks like a perfectly fine starting point and there isn't anything you are doing that would warrant any immediate changes.

You didn't specify, but how often are you training?

Nutrition should be fine for now as well if that is all you can stomach, you should lose some weight with that (most likely) and being new to training again should still add some muscle anyways.
Piggy-backing on this, I think some info also missing might also be what is your activity level at home and work?

Where was your nutrition prior to getting back into this? (Calories I mean) if you were consuming 4000/day and maintaining your 28%, you could start at a much smaller decrease with you adding in your activities, and decrease them as your weight loss slows or plateaus. Like Smont says, gains will come quick, and weight loss should also. If you start at 2200, you don’t have much play room to decrease when you do plateau. IMO, of course.

JackNant

Awards
Im doing this plan Monday wednesday friday.

My work is mostly standing and lifting things in the 30-40 lb range. Production manager at a window manufacturing company. Not sedentary but not exhausting.

My past go to diet during the week was mostly eggs and meat (turkey bacon/ham)
Lunch: tuna/ fruit.
Dinner is the part that got me I think as this has been basically a free for all but usually carb heavy with sometimes a little meat

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Your current split is very similar to Mark Rippetoes Starting Strength. If you're not familiar with it, you might do the deep dive into that because I think it compliments what you are already doing. He has I think 3 and 4 day splits and it more or less breaks down the lifts you're already hitting.

What the guys said about nutrition is my exact thoughts entirely. I'd trade in some of that fat for increased protein and probably leave the carbs alone.

I used to do 3 eggs, or 2 eggs + egg whites and jasmine rice for breakfast every day. This fall switched it up. I'm doing ground turkey + grits for breakfast. Then a meat + carb + salad for lunch. I have pre-made eggwhite bites that I snack on all day at work. post workout protein shake, and dinner is usually either fish (at least once a week), or pork, or red meat + vegetables. my wife and I broil brussels, broccoli, etc a few times a week. This meal plan for me puts me around the same calories as you but more like 220-240+ g of protein. I also have collagen in my morning coffee which is like another 20g of protein (albeit incomplete protein).