Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm in...
Nice stack. Love me some FD2 And Vector.
Amino infusion Intra is also awesome.

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Friday, July 27

Stronger and ....fatter!

My body composition weigh-in didn’t turn out as expected. Gained 2.8 lbs muscle over the past month. Also gained 2.6 lbs of fat.

Bummed out about the fat gain for about an hour or so after the weigh-in. But pleased with the muscle gain even though it didn’t match expectations.

My nutritionist suggested closing the kitchen” at 7pm rather than 9pm to gain a couple hours fat burning while I sleep. I get home from work at 8pm and finish eating by 9pm.

She also suggested going to bed earlier to see if I can get more sleep. I’ve been getting about 5 1/2 hours sleep. She suggested working on getting to 7 1/2 hours.

I knew all this, but the work schedule is getting in the way of healthy timing of meals and sleep. I can make the adjustments. It just means I have to eat when I get on the commuter train instead of when I get home an hour and a half later.

Here are the InBody body composition results.
IMG_2300.JPG

Had a solid workout later in the day. Felt good to get in the gym. I’m trying some new biceps exercises to hopefully hit the muscles with new angles and boost strength/growth. Also adding cardio to see if it helps keep the fat off.

I’ll keep experimenting to get the right combo of nutrition, exercise, and sleep!

Here is Friday’s workout!

IMG_2302.JPG
IMG_2303.JPG
IMG_2304.JPG

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gained 2.8 lbs muscle over the past month. Also gained 2.6 lbs of fat.
Sounds like a "dirty bulk" , LOL. Hey, think about it, 2.8 lbs muscles in one month is A LOT !

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Saturday, July 28

Big win yesterday! I finally achieved a PR! 70 lb dumbbell hammer grip bench press x 8! Been stuck at 65 all year!

The only thing I’ve really changed in my routine is Vector/Follidrone and recent one-day close grip bench press sets on the Smith Machine. My previous hammer grip dumbbell bench press record was 70 x 5 in early April. But that was tough going and never got 70 up again the rest of the month. Yesterday was smoooth ...

Also added a Steve Reeves deadlift to the routine! I enjoyed it a great deal! And am planning to add it to my weekly routine.

Getting my meal timing down pat this weekend. Kitchen closed at 7pm. I’m really looking forward to August!

Here is yesterday’s workout:

IMG_2314.JPG
IMG_2315.JPG

Safe strength, my friends!

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
To what do you attribute the fat gain? A couple of beers in secret... ;)
Hey HGP!

I don’t drink! Quit about 2 years ago. Never felt better.

My beer of preference was dark beer, including Guinness.

I think the late night cashews did me in. I was within my calorie cap and hitting my macros. So I’m cutting back on cashews in addition to closing the kitchen at 7pm. Also trying to get to bed two hours earlier. So far, so good! 7 1/2 hours last night.

Thanks for the support, HGP!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, nuts late at night could mean trouble. A caloric bomb for sure.

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Sunday, July 29

Added a 3 mile speed walk yesterday AM. Gotta get that cardio!

Sleep = 7 1/2 hours
Weight = 198 lbs

Worked traps, lats, and biceps. It was a solid workout.

Today is the last day of my Vector/Follidrone (VF) stack.

Since it’s a rest day, I’ll give my opinion on the BLR stack. My results are consistent with the “lion’s” share of previous loggers. It takes about two or three weeks before seeing results. I couldn’t be more pleased with hitting my personal best on the hammer grip dumbbell bench press! I’ve worked my butt off for months with dialed-in diet, rest, and exercise. One month on V/F and boom, “Goal Achieved!” I do a lot of “science” in my line of work. It’s impossible to scientifically attribute this result to V/F. But the animal studies on Korean mistletoe extract are compelling.

My final judgement is I believe the V/F stack had a role in my success this month. Can’t prove it. But my results, like the animal studies, are compelling.

Thanks to everyone who has followed this log. I appreciate your support!

IMG_2317.JPG
IMG_2318.JPG
IMG_2319.JPG

soxbsbll05

soxbsbll05

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Sunday, July 29

Added a 3 mile speed walk yesterday AM. Gotta get that cardio!

Sleep = 7 1/2 hours
Weight = 198 lbs

Worked traps, lats, and biceps. It was a solid workout.

Today is the last day of my Vector/Follidrone (VF) stack.

Since it’s a rest day, I’ll give my opinion on the BLR stack. My results are consistent with the “lion’s” share of previous loggers. It takes about two or three weeks before seeing results. I couldn’t be more pleased with hitting my personal best on the hammer grip dumbbell bench press! I’ve worked my butt off for months with dialed-in diet, rest, and exercise. One month on V/F and boom, “Goal Achieved!” I do a lot of “science” in my line of work. It’s impossible to scientifically attribute this result to V/F. But the animal studies on Korean mistletoe extract are compelling.

My final judgement is I believe the V/F stack had a role in my success this month. Can’t prove it. But my results, like the animal studies, are compelling.

Thanks to everyone who has followed this log. I appreciate your support!

View attachment 168819View attachment 168820View attachment 168821
No chance of running this at a 2nd month to see how much better it may get? Usually natty anabolics get much better after the 3-4 week mark.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No chance of running this at a 2nd month to see how much better it may get? Usually natty anabolics get much better after the 3-4 week mark.
Agreed here, just hitting the stride with those. Second-third month is where they really shine

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Agreed here, just hitting the stride with those. Second-third month is where they really shine
You guys remind me of a graduate school professor who told me, “Here’s a job application. If you don’t apply for this job, you’re stupid.”

I told him, “Well, I don’t want to be stupid so I’ll apply.”

Applied for the job and got it. It changed my entire life’s career path for the positive.

So my reply to you both is, “I don’t want to be stupid, sooooo... yeah, I’ll run the V/F stack for at least another month!

I bought an extra tub of Vector and tube of Follidrone a week ago.

FYI, I ran into a guy at the gym yesterday who walked up to me and said, “It’s good to see someone wearing a Black Lion muscle shirt in this gym!” We talked for a while and he swore Viron was the best libido boost product he’s ever used. Guess I need to try a tub of Viron!

Be safe, be strong!

@ soxbsbll05
@ nicksox15

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You guys remind me of a graduate school professor who told me, “Here’s a job application. If you don’t apply for this job, you’re stupid.”

I told him, “Well, I don’t want to be stupid so I’ll apply.”

Applied for the job and got it. It changed my entire life’s career path for the positive.

So my reply to you both is, “I don’t want to be stupid, sooooo... yeah, I’ll run the V/F stack for at least another month!

I bought an extra tub of Vector and tube of Follidrone a week ago.

FYI, I ran into a guy at the gym yesterday who walked up to me and said, “It’s good to see someone wearing a Black Lion muscle shirt in this gym!” We talked for a while and he swore Viron was the best libido boost product he’s ever used. Guess I need to try a tub of Viron!

Be safe, be strong!

@ soxbsbll05
@ nicksox15
Viron is a great product. and yes it will boost the labido!

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Tuesday, July 31

Weight = 199 lbs
Sleep = 7 1/2 hours

Had a great workout today! Two sets of 70# dumbbell bench presses went up easy! It’s got me thinking about 75#!

Going to keep working on the close grip bench press to hit the long head of the triceps. It needs the work!

Just for fun, I also gave a shot at one repping 185# on the Smith Machine bench press. Got it up! I’m going for 190# next bench press day!

I’m seeing progress and having fun! Will have to continue the Vector/Follidrone stack for one more month!

Here’s today’s workout:

IMG_2334.JPG
IMG_2335.JPG

Stay safe! Stay strong!

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Close grip bench press! damn I miss those. My shoulder won't allow me to do them any longer (at least with decent weight). The Tri pumps use to be intense and the growth was unreal.

Hitting 70 for 8 reps....You got those 75lb d-bells. keep that form brother!

You like the kickbacks? never did much for me.

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Close grip bench press! damn I miss those. My shoulder won't allow me to do them any longer (at least with decent weight). The Tri pumps use to be intense and the growth was unreal.

Hitting 70 for 8 reps....You got those 75lb d-bells. keep that form brother!

You like the kickbacks? never did much for me.
Thanks Studhorse !

Kickbacks! I like the way my triceps look in the mirror when doing kickbacks! But I agree that the benefits don’t seem to be as pronounced as the close grip bench press and power bombs.

I do exercises that don’t hurt my shoulders. So, I totally understand it limits exercises.

My shoulders were a mess when I started lifting 19 months ago. I had an osteocyte on my right shoulder that was painful—big time! The good news is the osteocyte is now gone! And my shoulder fasciitis and bursitis still limit my range of motion, but everyday movements aren’t as painful. Motion is lotion!

Thanks again for the support!

bloodnthunder

bloodnthunder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks Studhorse !

Kickbacks! I like the way my triceps look in the mirror when doing kickbacks! But I agree that the benefits don’t seem to be as pronounced as the close grip bench press and power bombs.

I do exercises that don’t hurt my shoulders. So, I totally understand it limits exercises.

My shoulders were a mess when I started lifting 19 months ago. I had an osteocyte on my right shoulder that was painful—big time! The good news is the osteocyte is now gone! And my shoulder fasciitis and bursitis still limit my range of motion, but everyday movements aren’t as painful. Motion is lotion!

Thanks again for the support!
If u have a single rope attachment, try the kickback on the cable that way. So much more effective imo

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Friday, August 3

Back in the gym after two days off! It felt great!

Weight = 198
Sleep = 7 1/2 hours

DB (70 lbs) hammer grip bench press is getting easier! Looking forward to hopefully moving up to 75 lb DB in a week or two! I can feel my upper pecs getting larger. It’s been months since I’ve had growth in the upper pecs!! Nutrition, exercise, sleep and Vector/Follidrone seem to be in sync.
bloodnthunder, I tried the tricep kickbacks on the cable machine and it kicked my butt! I can tell the constant tension on the eccentric movement is pumping the long head of the triceps much better than the DB kickback. Thanks for the suggestion!

I hit 190 lbs on the Smith Machine bench press...barely. Thats my best since college. Oh well, a win is a win!

I worked my hammy’s today on the seated hamstring curl machine with low weight (50 lbs) and high reps (30). Trying to increase blood flow to my injured right hammy! I need to do more of that.

On nutrition, I’m eating 1/2 a cup of quinoa twice daily to increase my complex carb intake. I generally shoot for 180-200 g of carbs each day and quinoa helps me hit that target more easily.

Again, thanks to the “AM posse” for your support! I’m always open to suggestions to help me achieve gainz!

Stay safe! Stay strong!

Here is today’s workout!

IMG_2356.JPG
IMG_2357.JPG
IMG_2358.JPG

bloodnthunder

bloodnthunder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Friday, August 3

Back in the gym after two days off! It felt great!

Weight = 198
Sleep = 7 1/2 hours

DB (70 lbs) hammer grip bench press is getting easier! Looking forward to hopefully moving up to 75 lb DB in a week or two! I can feel my upper pecs getting larger. It’s been months since I’ve had growth in the upper pecs!! Nutrition, exercise, sleep and Vector/Follidrone seem to be in sync.
bloodnthunder, I tried the tricep kickbacks on the cable machine and it kicked my butt! I can tell the constant tension on the eccentric movement is pumping the long head of the triceps much better than the DB kickback. Thanks for the suggestion!

I hit 190 lbs on the Smith Machine bench press...barely. Thats my best since college. Oh well, a win is a win!

I worked my hammy’s today on the seated hamstring curl machine with low weight (50 lbs) and high reps (30). Trying to increase blood flow to my injured right hammy! I need to do more of that.

On nutrition, I’m eating 1/2 a cup of quinoa twice daily to increase my complex carb intake. I generally shoot for 180-200 g of carbs each day and quinoa helps me hit that target more easily.

Again, thanks to the “AM posse” for your support! I’m always open to suggestions to help me achieve gainz!

Stay safe! Stay strong!

Here is today’s workout!

View attachment 169179View attachment 169180View attachment 169181
Glad you liked it, only way I’ll do kickbacks anym

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Great progress OP!

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Saturday, August 4

Another great workout in the gym today!

Had some fun trying to squat using an Olympic bar after a few months off. Felt burning on my neck on the first rep so passed on that and did some Bulgarian split squats for the first time. Those are literally a kick in the butt! . My glutes need work so it was a good time! I’ll be sore in the morning! I got to learn proper form on the front squat.

Weight = 198

Sleep = 4 1/2 hours

I can see my arms and chest getting a bit more full. What a great feeling! I need to also get back to my balance exercises. No, not ballet. Footwork stuff like shuffles, running backwards, Heiden skating, etc. I may work on balance tomorrow along with my Reeves deadlift!

Added Viron to the Vector/Follidrone stack yesterday and today. It should be a great month!

Here’s today’s workout.

IMG_2362.JPG
IMG_2363.JPG
IMG_2364.JPG

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Sunday, August 5

I was able to increase weight on a few lifts today so I’m pleased with the workout despite feeling off a bit.

Weight = 196
Sleep = 7 1/2 hours

Twinged my right knee doing the Reeves deadlift. I think my feet were too close together. I’m sure it will heal in a few days.

I’ve cut back my Re1gn preworkout drink from 2 scoops to one with a 3g addition of citrulline powder. I believe my system is very sensitive to Vaso-6. I’m sweating and red faced more than ever on a full serving. It feels uncomfortable and the dumbbell grip gets a little slippery. I have the SNS Vaso-6 capsules (300 mg) to go with other PWOs and have the same reaction. The half serving of Re1gn gets me revved up enough. Is anyone else sensitive to the Vaso-6 like that?

I’m feeling stronger every day. The Vector/Follidrone/Viron stack is doing its job!

Here’s today’s workout!

IMG_2370.JPG
IMG_2371.JPG

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Thursday, August 9

Took 3 days of rest because of work commitments at my job.

IMG_2284.JPG

I was really looking forward to today’s workout and wasn’t disappointed! Gosh, I missed the gym.

I’m really liking the Bulgarian split squat. The glutes and hamstrings are sore as hell for two days after the workout. That feels great!

And for the first time in months, I’m back to the squatting rack! Tried the front squat for the first time in my life. The bar impinges my traps in a painful way if I do a regular squat even with a roller pad so the front squat works best for me. Again,the front squat was enjoyable after doing goblet squats for the past several months. Still on the Vector/Follidrone/Viron stack. Feeling stronger with every workout!

Weight =202 lbs
Sleep = 7 1/2 hours

I’ve upped my calorie intake from 2400 calories to 2700 hoping to make sure my muscles are sufficiently fed. Here are my macros for today.

IMG_2393.JPG

And here’s today’s workout!

IMG_2390.JPG
IMG_2391.JPG
IMG_2392.JPG

Stay safe! Stay strong!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thursday, August 9

Took 3 days of rest because of work commitments at my job.

View attachment 169449

I was really looking forward to today’s workout and wasn’t disappointed! Gosh, I missed the gym.

I’m really liking the Bulgarian split squat. The glutes and hamstrings are sore as hell for two days after the workout. That feels great!

And for the first time in months, I’m back to the squatting rack! Tried the front squat for the first time in my life. The bar impinges my traps in a painful way if I do a regular squat even with a roller pad so the front squat works best for me. Again,the front squat was enjoyable after doing goblet squats for the past several months. Still on the Vector/Follidrone/Viron stack. Feeling stronger with every workout!

Weight =202 lbs
Sleep = 7 1/2 hours

I’ve upped my calorie intake from 2400 calories to 2700 hoping to make sure my muscles are sufficiently fed. Here are my macros for today.

View attachment 169452

And here’s today’s workout!

View attachment 169453View attachment 169454View attachment 169455

Stay safe! Stay strong!
Hey Humble!

Just wondering, what kind of meals are you eating to keep your fat intake so low but protein so high?

Loving your log man - it's a dose of positive energy for me!

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Hey Humble!

Just wondering, what kind of meals are you eating to keep your fat intake so low but protein so high?

Loving your log man - it's a dose of positive energy for me!
Hey BennyMagoo79,

Good question! Basically I supplement with low-fat protein shakes. My “go to” meal is grilled chicken with 2 cups of raw spinach w/ raspberries, apples, or blueberries, and supplemented protein shakes. I try to eat beef, cod or salmon a few times a week as well. Here is what I had today.

IMG_2398.JPG

I also eat eggs, bacon and cashews regularly to get my fatty acids up a bit. My meals have a large variety. Below is a list of what I eat in rank order by macronutrient. My top carbohydrate “fruit” is an apple.

IMG_2399.JPG

IMG_2400.JPG

IMG_2402.JPG
IMG_2401.JPG

I hope this helps!

And thanks for letting me know you enjoy my log. It keeps me motivated to keep it up to date.

Stay safe! Stay strong!

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Friday, August 10

Hit the gym after work again today! I was on fire!

Weight = 202 lbs
Sleep = 7 hours
Calories = 2900
Macros= 203carbs 112fat 305protein

My dumbbell hammer grip bench press was awesome! Those 70lb dumbbells went up like hot air! ☄ I almost went for 75lb dumbbells on my third set. But didn’t want to ruin the workout if it wouldn’t go up at all!

Hit a new record on Power Bombs putting a 50lb dumbbell up 6 times in all 3 sets!

Hit a new record on the Reeves deadlift as well!

I’m really liking my BLR “Amino Infusion” intraworkout drink to go along with the Vector/Follidrone/Viron stack. Strawberry Kiwi ? flavor tastes great and I’m adding taurine for recovery and tyrosine for focus.

Here’s today’s workout!

IMG_2405.JPG

IMG_2406.JPG

Stay safe! Stay strong!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I saw "chocolate", "birthday cake", "candy bar", "energy bar", "quest bar", "chocolate chip". Now I'm blind.

I hear my disinflated hip tire whining: "Gimme that, now!" :)

My guess is, your high volume workouts compensate for that list of atrocious war crimes. :)

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
I saw "chocolate", "birthday cake", "candy bar", "energy bar", "quest bar", "chocolate chip". Now I'm blind.

I hear my disinflated hip tire whining: "Gimme that, now!" :)

My guess is, your high volume workouts compensate for that list of atrocious war crimes. :)
I’ve got the same disinflated hip tire!

But I’m trying to bulk up right now, and it’s hard to get the protein and carbs I need with whole foods. Those “war crimes” go away when cutting!

Thanks for pointing that out HGP!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I’ve got the same disinflated hip tire!

But I’m trying to bulk up right now, and it’s hard to get the protein and carbs I need with whole foods. Those “war crimes” go away when cutting!

Thanks for pointing that out HGP!
Ah, BULKING! Lucky you! That's a moist dream for me. Currently snacking on some sunflower seeds while watching reality TV ("Alone"), starving dudes in the middle of nowhere, LOL. That's how I feel too. :)

The pic with the raspberries looks yummy -and more like my dishes for a cut. Potatoes and gravy are missing -and an extra large XXL Greek whole fat yogurt !

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hey BennyMagoo79,

Good question! Basically I supplement with low-fat protein shakes. My “go to” meal is grilled chicken with 2 cups of raw spinach w/ raspberries, apples, or blueberries, and supplemented protein shakes. I try to eat beef, cod or salmon a few times a week as well. Here is what I had today.

View attachment 169487

I also eat eggs, bacon and cashews regularly to get my fatty acids up a bit. My meals have a large variety. Below is a list of what I eat in rank order by macronutrient. My top carbohydrate “fruit” is an apple.

View attachment 169488
View attachment 169489
View attachment 169490View attachment 169491

I hope this helps!

And thanks for letting me know you enjoy my log. It keeps me motivated to keep it up to date.

Stay safe! Stay strong!
Awesome man, thanks! You have given me many ideas!

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Keep up the great work! Make those gains!

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Saturday, August 11

Had another awesome workout! Hat tip to hairygrandpa for posting the Athlean video on lat and shoulder exercises! I tried a few and enjoyed the soreness in my back and shoulders all day today!

Truth is the only way I feel I’ve accomplished anything in the gym is from the muscle soreness the next day! A lot of my regular lifts don’t give me much soreness anymore that I need to feel good! For some reason, I’d forgotten how much fun it is to try new exercises. I guess was too focused on hitting the next weight level on the regular lifts and not enough on getting total body fitness. What is most amazing to me is my 19 months of weightlifting have all but erased the fasciitis, bursitis, tendinitis, and osteoarthritis in my shoulders!

Shoulders have always been one of my strongest body features, even when they were messed up. It must be genetic. It’s very nice to have them working properly again!

I’m going to try a bunch of new things outside the gym this week. More body weight exercises me thinks...

Weight = 202 (Still 6’ tall)
Sleep = 7 hours
Calories = 3000

Went to a cooking class with my bride last night. Mediterranean Seafood 101. It was great! Learned some new recipes for my cod and halibut meals.

Also, I’m going to cut my calories back down to 2400 this week. I’m seeing muscle growth at 3000. But I’m also seeing a larger waist and more fat on my limbs.

Here’s yesterday’s workout. It’s the most volume I’ve done in over a week.

IMG_2409.JPG

IMG_2410.JPG

IMG_2411.JPG

Stay safe! Stay strong!

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Sunday, August 12

Same story as the past few days. Gainz!

Went grocery shopping before my workout. The clerk asked me, “Do you work out?” I said a little bit and he said, “ I can tell.”

My arms are definitely adding size and strength...as is my midsection!

I’m not sure if the increased hunger and increased midsection is common on the Vector/Follidrone/Viron stack. I’m not complaining. Because I know a few weeks on keto and the fat will melt off and the muscle should stay as long as I stay out of the gym. It’s nice to see results like this after having stagnated in strength and size about a year after some decent gains.

Weight = 202
Sleep = 7 hours
Calories = 2400

I only had 45 minutes to workout yesterday so the volume was a little lower than usual. Here’s the workout.

IMG_2417.JPG

IMG_2418.JPG

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hear you! Nothing is more orgasmic than a compliment! :)

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Monday, August 13

Another great day at the gym.

I’m enjoying trying new exercises. My muscles are sore and that’s a good thing!

Here is today’s workout.

IMG_2426.JPG

IMG_2427.JPG

IMG_2428.JPG

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Thursday, August 16

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but......it was a great day in the gym today!

Weight = 198
Sleep = 3 1/2 hours (ugh)
Calories = 2900

Hurt my right shoulder on Wednesday while driving. My backpack, which is rather heavy, rolled forward when I was braking. My arm shot out to catch it and I twinged a tendon in the shoulder. Just another annoyance limiting my bench press and push ups. It should heal in a few days as long as I don’t abuse it in the gym.

I’ve been told, and know from personal experience, one of the toughest things about growing old is that the shoulders are prone to injury. Human shoulders aren’t designed to move the way we often move them for some common exercises. Any lifting of weight behind the head or the back can easily lead to tendinitis, pulled ligaments, fasciitis, rotor cuff, and other injuries to the shoulders. I’ve learned to be very protective of my shoulders because if they are injured badly, it really limits many exercises.

I’d be interested to know if AM members have exercises they do that don’t stress the shoulders unnaturally, but can help to build the deltoids. I’m pretty lucky that my shoulders haven’t atrophied much over the years despite not doing exercises like military press, clean and jerk, etc.. Must be good genetics.

Bummed that I had trouble sleeping last night. Not sure why...

Ramped up my calories today because of the workout.

Here’s today’s workout!

IMG_2449.JPG

IMG_2450.JPG

IMG_2451.JPG

Stay safe! Stay strong!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a whole workout day per week dedicated to injury prevention exercises, especially shoulders.
Since then, shoulders are at 100% -but now -and then, something else gets broken, LOL.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hear ya on the shoulders. It has taught me over the years what I can do and what I can't. Takes some time but it's kind of fun trying new exercises and some of the old ones with little tweaks for better alignment. hairygrandpa has been a big help with introducing me to shoulder and chest exercises that are easier on the delts.

3 years in on a torn labrum and it hardly ever bothers me while I'm working out.

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Friday, August 17

Weight = 196 lbs
Sleep = 7 1/2 hours
Calories = 2500

Today was good, but...I couldn’t do z-bar bicep curls due to pain in my left elbow. It’s an old college football injury that rears itself up every now and then. I hyperextended it back in 1979 when a 260 lb offensive lineman landed on it while I was pushing myself up after getting trucked by a 270 lb lineman. I was a lean 215 lb defensive tackle. I had quick feet, and not so big. But I was bench pressing 290 lbs back then! Youth is wasted on the young!

It should heal up in a couple weeks.

But I had a hell of a great time lifting lots of volume working mostly on the lats, hammies, and glutes.

Here’s today’s workout:

IMG_2456.JPG

IMG_2457.JPG

IMG_2458.JPG

Stay safe! Stay strong!

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Saturday, August 18

Weight = 195 lbs
Sleep = 7 1/2 hours
Calories = 2700

Today was a short workout. Got to the gym late and had less than an hour to get the lifts in.

Just as well. The mind/muscle connection was lacking a little bit. Lost control on the 7th rep of the 3rd set of my hammer grip dumbbell bench press. Could have been shoulder weakness, but I’m thinking it was poor form due to lack of focus.

C’est la vie!

Ended the workout with a powerful Reeves deadlift. Didn’t set any record, but the posterior core pump felt great! Hammies were burning with the capsaicin roll-on!

I have lost about five pounds in the last week after adding 500mg of l-carnitine twice a day. Never tried the l-carnitine. It seems to be living up to the hype. Let’s see if the weight loss continues.

The Vector/Follidrone/Viron stack seems to be doing its job after six weeks. I can feel and visibly see increased strength and a little size increase in my arms and posterior chain, especially the hammies and glute! I credit those gains to the Bulgarian split squats as well. That’s a powerful exercise for building the hammies and glutes and creating some soreness!

Here are today’s lifts!

IMG_2459.JPG
IMG_2460.JPG

Stay safe! Stay strong!

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My man, you're a machine.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wow! Keep it up with the beast workouts!

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Monday, August 20

Weight = 197
Sleep = 6 hours
Calories = 2600

I took yesterday off due to having to work all day.

Today the universe was in balance! Everything felt great! Did beau ceau volume-over 45,000 lbs worth!

The rows are getting stronger! That makes this lots of fun!

Both shoulders have minor nagging pain from injuries. But it didn’t effect my workout too much.

I am really feeling stronger and looking more buff. I’ll post a before and after pic in a couple weeks.

My Vector/Follidrone/Viron cycle is over in two weeks. Not sure what I’ll try next. I’m thinking about trying to lose a few pounds by cutting calories down to 2200-2300 per day and continue working out 4 days a week. Still time to figure out the next steps.

Here is today’s workout!

IMG_2469.JPG

IMG_2470.JPG

IMG_2471.JPG

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you are not doing this already, please start doing it:

[video=youtube;EY2tNBOmvGs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY2tNBOmvGs[/video]

I use cables. Takes about 20-30 minutes if you go for 3 sets of each exercise.
Good form is a bit tricky.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

I second this

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another thing is, do from time to time reverse grip rows (palms up). It will help tremendously with posture and rolled forward shoulders.

Lower traps development is key for posture:

[video=youtube;5RIRCJBeMF0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RIRCJBeMF0[/video]

[video=youtube;F6v0HdXUWsA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6v0HdXUWsA[/video]

Face pulls with fists up is ONE exercise to get thoracic extension:

[video=youtube;HSoHeSjvIdY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSoHeSjvIdY[/video]

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Another thing is, do from time to time reverse grip rows (palms up). It will help tremendously with posture and rolled forward shoulders.

Lower traps development is key for posture:

[video=youtube;5RIRCJBeMF0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RIRCJBeMF0[/video]
Agree with this as well has done wonders for me

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established

Nice! Guess I need to buy a 15 lb band! I have a 50 lb one.

I will do these exercises! Haven’t had a rotator cuff problem in over 10 years. But I remember how painful it was! Never again!

Thanks hairygrandpa!

And you too DemntedCowboy!

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Nice! Guess I need to buy a 15 lb band! I have a 50 lb one.

I will do these exercises! Haven’t had a rotator cuff problem in over 10 years. But I remember how painful it was! Never again!

Thanks hairygrandpa!

And you too DemntedCowboy!
I do these on cables with 10#'s

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 7
Training Forum 6
Anabolics 4
Supplements 4
Anabolics 9