Newbie in training Help!!!

smallbuild101

Awards
What's up guys, my names josh I'm a total stranger to the workout world, I'm willing to do or buy anything to improve my scrawny body because only recently has it bothered me, I'm 5'5 and 140lbs small arms, basic chest, small waist, basic legs, my goals would be to have some great muscle gains on my arms and chest and a defined abdominal area and get to 150lbs in 3months what things should I eat??? what should I do??? I don't eat fast foods or drink soda. Just because I thought it was unhealthy, I've been told to take whey protein and creatine monohydrate 5g and have a surplus at the end of the day??? After working out is this true? I plan to do this schedule;
M-cardio
T-abs
W-arms
T-abs
F-cardio
S-abs
S-arms

I'm looking for a transformation because my arms are in desperate need of some mass, they are worst than sticks,I've got to change I'm here to stick to whatever you guys say.....I will post pics after.

Peppers

Peppers

Banned
Awards
Deadlifts
Squats
Bench Press
Military Press
Barbell Curls
Barbell Rows
Dips
Pull-Ups
Cleans

Stop doing cardio, stop doing abs.
Eat food, lots of it. Sleep, Eat, Lift.

PB, lots of it. Potatoes, whole grains, oatmeal, steak, chicken, eggs, dairy, milk, peanuts, fish, tuna, etc etc etc

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
Hello Josh,

Glad that you have decided to start working out :)

I can tell you that I started with 11" arms at 6'1 so I know the feeling. The great news is that you will gain size during the first 6 to 9 months at a faster rate than any other time so you're good. This is the most exciting period because you will see the change quickly.

Workout wise, something I wished I did when I started out, you need to concentrate on form and technique. Don't worry about the weights because if you go heavy quick, you will not make good progress. Pay attention to details and think about the movement before you do it. No twisting and turning and leaning this way or that to move the weight. Drop the weight and do it right. You will get stronger quickly, so don't worry about it. There are plenty of videos online to show the techniques.

Diet wise, you need to pay attention to protein. If you want to gain weight, you need to eat more. No way around it. Working out alone and cleaner diet won't do it without more food. And protein is key. Eggs, Chicken breasts, red meat, fish, peanut butter, etc. Read the labels and look for protein content. You can read more about everything else online. You can try to increase the amount of food you eat overtime, it will take time to get used to eating and will be difficult at first, but you will get used to it.
Don't waste money on supplements, the most you will need is Creatine and Protein powder. Fish oils, vitamins are fine just don't fall into the trap of thinking you need truckload of supplements. You don't.

Program wise, You can lookup Starting Strength program. It is a solid program and will add size and strength. After few months, you can try another routine if you like. You don't need advanced programs or follow other people's routines. Stick with the basics for the first few months and you will make great progress.

Books wise, I really enjoyed Brawn and Beyond Brawn.

smallbuild101

Awards
Okay great so I eat more hearty food and stop doing cardio or??? Save that for after the bulk???

Derick

Derick

Awards
You gotta do legs, don't forget legs !!! EVER!! The work you put into legs also helps the rest grow. Cardio is excellent always too. Would seem you need to focus more on weights and eating at this stage and throw in some HIT cardio during or after workouts. Good luck out there

Derick

Derick

Awards
Try some good programs like Shortcut to Size from JIm STopanni - will find it on bodybuilding.com

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
First off calculate your tdee, then research 5x5 training.... thank me later

blaykeryan

blaykeryan

Awards
5×5 is a good program...As what everyone else has said...eat eat eat get enough sleep..train...repeat...pretty easy...calculate your tdee and add 200-500 cals a week...If you aren't seeing results add more cals until you see results...stick to basics..bench..deadlift..and SQUAT...If you just workout arms you will look ridiculous...basic example routine
Mon-chest/tri
Tues-back/bi
Thurs-shoulders/traps
Fri-legs

Or throw arms in on there own day