New Guy Questions

CCRN 215

Awards
Considering a first cycle and was looking to get some information from some experienced folks before I took the plunge.

Background:

M, 41 y/o, 6’4”, 255#

Been lifting 3-4 times/wk for the past two years, and sporadically before that, concentrating on good form as opposed to heavy weights. I put on a lot of weight around my middle after a knee injury that took me almost a year to recover from. Been carrying that weight for about 5 years, and no amount of gym time seems to touch it.

No joint issues now, BP is a touch high (hereditary), but all other labs are within acceptable range.

Diet is clean and pretty dialed-in as far as macros, but not suited for gaining mass. 1800-2000 cal/day, 180-220gr protein, good fats, low carbs and none after 1pm. I don't drink alcohol at all or use any illicit substances. I drink coffee and smoke cigarettes (not the healthiest option, but that's my vice).

My goal is to put on and keep some quality mass and cut away some of the body fat. I don't think, at my age, I can do it naturally or with "clean" supplementation. I have decided, then, to consider running one cycle of gear to see how my body reacts.

I'm an RN and I have a lot of knowledge and experience with the science behind hormones and receptors, etc. I've done a lot of research on the gear itself, side effects, the importance of serial bloodwork, and was really just looking for some opinions on whether or not a cycle would be of benefit to me.

The plan:

I'm considering a 12 week run of Test E 500/wk split into two doses. PCT of tapered-dose Clomid for 4 weeks, beginning 3 weeks after my last shot. Arimidex on hand for any signs of estrogen-based side effects.

Again, just hoping to get some opinions and get a conversation started on whether or not I'm on the right track, or just throwing money away.

Thanks in advance!

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Couple of things jump out to me bro.

First is that at 255lbs unless you are crazy tall or a lot more muscular than you give the impression of being, you have pretty high bf. Just imo I’d cut more fat first.

Test e at 500 split 2x pw for 12 weeks is very solid.

Personally I’d start the clomid earlier, like the week after your last pin although you see both this and waiting 2-3 weeks suggested.

Probably will need adex, start at 0.5 e3d and adjust.

Sounds like your doing everything right though bro, hope it all goes well when you decide to pull the trigger

CCRN 215

Awards
Couple of things jump out to me bro.

First is that at 255lbs unless you are crazy tall or a lot more muscular than you give the impression of being, you have pretty high bf. Just imo I’d cut more fat first.

Test e at 500 split 2x pw for 12 weeks is very solid.

Personally I’d start the clomid earlier, like the week after your last pin although you see both this and waiting 2-3 weeks suggested.

Probably will need adex, start at 0.5 e3d and adjust.

Sounds like your doing everything right though bro, hope it all goes well when you decide to pull the trigger
Sorry, neglected to mention that I’m 6’4”.

All the body fat has settled in my gut, and my understanding has always been that muscle eats fat. My logic behind the gear was that I could add muscle to assist in fat loss due to the higher metabolic demand that muscle has at rest.

Am I correct in that assertion, or am I flawed in my logic?

Thanks for getting back to me, Whisky.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

All the body fat has settled in my gut, and my understanding has always been that muscle eats fat. My logic behind the gear was that I could add muscle to assist in fat loss due to the higher metabolic demand that muscle has at rest.

Are you tracking macros? If not, I think it is important to dial that in before hitting PEDs.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Are you tracking macros? If not, I think it is important to dial that in before hitting PEDs.
Oh god dont mind me, no caffeine this morning. Just read your earlier post again and realised I missed half of it earlier.

CCRN 215

Awards
Yep. Majority of caloric intake comes from clean animal protein, maybe 65-70%, keeping carbs around 20% and only before lunch, as I go to the gym in the morning. Balance is from fats like nuts and avocados.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yep. Majority of caloric intake comes from clean animal protein, maybe 65-70%, keeping carbs around 20% and only before lunch, as I go to the gym in the morning. Balance is from fats like nuts and avocados.
Yeah man, it looks pretty good to me, although I have never run test. I would probably try something very similar to the protocol you have posted.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

No worries bro. At 6’4 your still probably carry quite a lot of fat.

Your logic is half right. Muscle doesn’t eat fat, but yes having more lean mass creates a higher metabolic demand, even at rest, thus burning more fat and glycogen for fuel. However, simply being heavier has this effect to some extent as basic movements require more ‘effort’.

There’s been threads about whether you need to be a certain bf to cycle. Whilst I personally don’t think you ‘need’ to be, I do think that anyone can get to sub 20% bf, fair easily with nutrition and training on point, if they feel things aren’t going in the right direction then there’s probably an issue there that needs fixing as the peds won’t be effective without everything else nailed down.

Then you have to consider the increased aromatisation to estrogen that occurs when bf is higher. From what I’ve seen sides are worse when carry to high a bf

CCRN 215

Awards
Then you have to consider the increased aromatisation to estrogen that occurs when bf is higher. From what I’ve seen sides are worse when carry to high a bf

That’s a consideration I didn’t take into account when laying all this out.

Would I be better served if I went into a 500 calorie daily deficit and tried to shed the belly fat before venturing into the gear?

And if the answer is yes, would a combination of a caloric deficit diet and low-dose prescribed HRT therapy (if merited by blood work) work better at dropping the bf% than just the diet alone?

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Considering a first cycle and was looking to get some information from some experienced folks before I took the plunge.

Background:

M, 41 y/o, 6’4”, 255#

Been lifting 3-4 times/wk for the past two years, and sporadically before that, concentrating on good form as opposed to heavy weights. I put on a lot of weight around my middle after a knee injury that took me almost a year to recover from. Been carrying that weight for about 5 years, and no amount of gym time seems to touch it.

No joint issues now, BP is a touch high (hereditary), but all other labs are within acceptable range.

Diet is clean and pretty dialed-in as far as macros, but not suited for gaining mass. 1800-2000 cal/day, 180-220gr protein, good fats, low carbs and none after 1pm. I don't drink alcohol at all or use any illicit substances. I drink coffee and smoke cigarettes (not the healthiest option, but that's my vice).

My goal is to put on and keep some quality mass and cut away some of the body fat. I don't think, at my age, I can do it naturally or with "clean" supplementation. I have decided, then, to consider running one cycle of gear to see how my body reacts.

I'm an RN and I have a lot of knowledge and experience with the science behind hormones and receptors, etc. I've done a lot of research on the gear itself, side effects, the importance of serial bloodwork, and was really just looking for some opinions on whether or not a cycle would be of benefit to me.

The plan:

I'm considering a 12 week run of Test E 500/wk split into two doses. PCT of tapered-dose Clomid for 4 weeks, beginning 3 weeks after my last shot. Arimidex on hand for any signs of estrogen-based side effects.

Again, just hoping to get some opinions and get a conversation started on whether or not I'm on the right track, or just throwing money away.

Thanks in advance!
That would be my exact advice. Up the cardio and keep eating clean. 4 days in the gym would be a minimum. Also, you need to lift heavy to build muscle..but of course use proper form.

CCRN 215

Awards
That would be my exact advice. Up the cardio and keep eating clean. 4 days in the gym would be a minimum. Also, you need to lift heavy to build muscle..but of course use proper form.
How much cardio would you recommend? I have heard that gear like Tren can decrease lung capacity. Does Test have any similar adverse effects? I wouldn’t think that it would, but I am not certain.

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How much cardio would you recommend? I have heard that gear like Tren can decrease lung capacity. Does Test have any similar adverse effects? I wouldn’t think that it would, but I am not certain.
Tren kills my cardio...but you should not even be considering that until you have some cycles under your belt. Test will give more stamina to do more cardio. Im also tall like you. Im 6'6. It took me a long time to get big...but im a powerlifter and i weigh 320.

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tren kills my cardio...but you should not even be considering that until you have some cycles under your belt. Test will give more stamina to do more cardio. Im also tall like you. Im 6'6. It took me a long time to get big...but im a powerlifter and i weigh 320.
Im also 44...welcome fellow old timer..lol

CCRN 215

Awards
Yeah, I don’t think I’ll be ready to step up to Tren for awhile. Just wanted to make sure that the same cardio-related sides weren’t there with Test.

20 min pre and 20 min post-workout a good amount of cardio to go along with each lifting session, or should I leave the cardio for rest days?

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I don’t think I’ll be ready to step up to Tren for awhile. Just wanted to make sure that the same cardio-related sides weren’t there with Test.

20 min pre and 20 min post-workout a good amount of cardio to go along with each lifting session, or should I leave the cardio for rest days?
40 mins post always worked for me

KingAnt

KingAnt

Awards
  • Established
I like to keep cardio and lifting separate. Never made sense to me to train upper body and then do cardio and steal the blood flow from your arms and push it to the legs. In my opinion. 30-45 min. Minimum per day. Help with blood pressure and cardiovascular system.