Neurosteroids

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Lately, I've become interested in the topic of neurosteroids.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_neurosteroids

I've been doing a bit of research on this one compound called Cyclopregnol that was researched in the 1950s for "undefined mechanism of action; developed as a "psychotropic agent" for the treatment of "mental disorders" such as schizophrenia in the 1950s".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclopregnol

I just find these compounds very interesting for their potential to have either cognitive benefits or to help with depression, anxiety, mood, and etc.

I'll link to the studies I found on the compound, but they're all from the 1950s which is ancient history in terms of mental health. There are many other neurosteroids out there, some of them were investigated and many were not. DHT (dihydrotesosterone) is one of the most potent neurosteroids, and it's one men make in their body from testosterone via conversion through the 5 alpha reductese enzyme.

Metabolites of DHT have been found to act as neurosteroids with their own AR-independent biological activity.[18] 3α-Androstanediol is a potent positive allosteric modulator of the GABAA receptor, while 3β-androstanediol is a potent and selective agonist of the estrogen receptor (ER) subtype ERβ.[18] These metabolites may play important roles in the central effects of DHT and by extension testosterone, including their antidepressant, anxiolytic, rewarding/hedonic, anti-stress, and pro-cognitive effects.[18][19]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrotestosterone#Biological_activity

Pregnolone is another very interesting neutosteroid. It's the first steroid for conversion from cholesterol. I've actually tried pregnenolone. It's big right now in research for postpartum depression. They inject the person with a derivative of pregnenolone called allopregnolone.

Apparently, it's a pretty penny to get this treatment done. They do several rounds of injection into the patient and it can cost up to $10k from what I remember.

Pregnolone is also being investigated as a cure for "loneliness".

I actually told my psych about it and although it didn't work for me, he said one guy he recommended it to was immediately cured of his depression and anxiety. It's sold OTC as a dietary supplement, so you can try it yourself if you're the experimental type. https://*******/2TqH9QF

6p-Hydroxy-3 : 5-cyclopregnan-20-me and Some Related compounds

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ti6he128572bzbc/patel1957.pdf/file

Treatment of Acute Mental Disorders with an Adrenal Steroid

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4xdzn9j4098oiuj/loranger1968.pdf/file

6/3-HYDROXY-3 :5-C YCLOPREGNAN-20-ONE IN MENTAL STATES

http://www.mediafire.com/file/pxiw1y2f8wzdby7/hardwick1957.pdf/file

There are many other neurosteroids out there, some have been investigated, but many have not. I'd love to have a discussion about neurosteroids and their potential for treating mental health issues and other attributes they might have.

-SS

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I just wanted to bump this up to hopefully get some discussion going on on this! I'd like some of the smarter bros like @brofessorx and others to chime in and see what they think.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think you'll find DHT is not much of a neurosteroid, but Androsterone is. IIRC androsterone can cross the blood brain barrier, but DHT cannot. One of the interesting things about androsterone is that it converts to DHT and there's also a conversion downstream of DHT back to androsterone - I believe this is where DHT's neurosteroid activity comes from.

Our pregnenolone topical - Neuro P5 - is incredibly cost effective for what it offers...may be something you'd like to give a try. With out current Halloween promotion, you can get Neuro P5 for $14

Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Subbed, an interesting departure from the usual thread fodder

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
In on this discussion for sure. Dont have too much to share. My first thoughts were obviously pregbaline, Epiandro, and maybe DHT.

I remember the Ray Peat guys being into allopregnalone as well as the PFS community. Idea Labs do or did sell it for sometime.

Joshinator

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Super sweet discussion topic. I came back here to AM because i was curious about this topic. Cool coincidence.

I personally deal with anxiety and i just hopped off a test bast (im on trt) and realized how much test helped. I felt clearer and less prone to anxiety. I dont want to blast test for the rest of my life so im looking for alternatives. I just ordered some androsterone and ill try that at a low dose to see if it helps, or what dose does help. I'm curious if there's anything else that will help.

TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Topical Preg is the bee's knees for its value. I've been using Dihexa for ab 3 months and it was awesome before I started my cycle

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I think you'll find DHT is not much of a neurosteroid, but Androsterone is. IIRC androsterone can cross the blood brain barrier, but DHT cannot. One of the interesting things about androsterone is that it converts to DHT and there's also a conversion downstream of DHT back to androsterone - I believe this is where DHT's neurosteroid activity comes from.

Our pregnenolone topical - Neuro P5 - is incredibly cost effective for what it offers...may be something you'd like to give a try. With out current Halloween promotion, you can get Neuro P5 for $14
DHT does infact cross the BBB and interacts with GABA receptors and other receptor sites in the brain. You can see that information from the wikipedia article I linked above. I'll try to find more information about it later.

Anyway, what I'm looking for is someone who can possibly source some of these neurosteroids and we can test them and see how effective or ineffective they are.

TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
DHT does infact cross the BBB and interacts with GABA receptors and other receptor sites in the brain. You can see that information from the wikipedia article I linked above. I'll try to find more information about it later.

Anyway, what I'm looking for is someone who can possibly source some of these neurosteroids and we can test them and see how effective or ineffective they are.
I'll look into it 😉

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Most circulating androgens (predominantly testosterone (T) and 5α-dihydrotestosterone (DHT)) are synthesized in gonads and adrenal glands. Androgens readily cross the blood-brain barrier (BBB) but can be locally synthesized or metabolized in several organs such as muscle, the central nervous system (CNS), and the cerebrovasculature. Indeed, T can be metabolized by 5α–reductase into DHT, a more potent androgen receptor agonist.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nootropics 24