Need to bring up my biggest weak point(arms) looking for advice

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a similar question. I need some more exercises to do to grow my arms, but the exercises need to be pretty tame on my wrists. I hurt my wrists years ago by ego curling and lifting someone up(friend of a friend pissed me off so I lifted him up and dropped him. Was pretty dumb but whatever.). I've been on somewhat of a diet and I've been doing hammer curls and my forearms grew half an inch, but my biceps and triceps didn't grow at all. I can do pretty much any movement with a neutral grip. I CAN do bicep curls but I have to use wrist wraps when the weight gets heavy and even then I can barely flex the wrist up with the weight because of how tight my wrists are. Also, I just started doing one arm close grip incline dumbbell presses with a neutral grip, but I'd like more exercises to try.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a similar question. I need some more exercises to do to grow my arms, but the exercises need to be pretty tame on my wrists. I hurt my wrists years ago by ego curling and lifting someone up(friend of a friend pissed me off so I lifted him up and dropped him. Was pretty dumb but whatever.). I've been on somewhat of a diet and I've been doing hammer curls and my forearms grew half an inch, but my biceps and triceps didn't grow at all. I can do pretty much any movement with a neutral grip. I CAN do bicep curls but I have to use wrist wraps when the weight gets heavy and even then I can barely flex the wrist up with the weight because of how tight my wrists are. Also, I just started doing one arm close grip incline dumbbell presses with a neutral grip, but I'd like more exercises to try.
Please hijack it. This thread was already derailed by this fool...

Do you use wrist wraps? If not that would be the first thing. Also use ez bar if you don’t already. Straight bar can be rough on your wrists. Unilateral stuff, Db preachers, etc. spider curls are great too.

One of my favorites are Chins/ Weighted chin are awesome. Palms facing you.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Do you use wrist wraps? If not that would be the first thing. Also use ez bar if you don’t already. Straight bar can be rough on your wrists. Unilateral stuff, Db preachers, etc. spider curls are great too.

Yeah I have wrist wraps, but I try to avoid using them unless my wrists are bothering me. Like how I've recently had to use them because my left wrist was hurting while dumbbell benching. I just don't want to always use them and have the muscles around the wrist get weak(if it would cause that). I've tried ez bar, but it still bothers my wrists. Ironically low weight wrist curls do not hurt. seated curls are a bitch, because I'm poor and have to use the olympic dumbbell handles, so the dumbbell would keep hitting the bench. I started incorporating kickbacks.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah I have wrist wraps, but I try to avoid using them unless my wrists are bothering me. Like how I've recently had to use them because my left wrist was hurting while dumbbell benching. I just don't want to always use them and have the muscles around the wrist get weak(if it would cause that). I've tried ez bar, but it still bothers my wrists. Ironically low weight wrist curls do not hurt. seated curls are a bitch, because I'm poor and have to use the olympic dumbbell handles, so the dumbbell would keep hitting the bench. I started incorporating kickbacks.
I understand wanting to avoid the wraps, but I would personally wear them for your training to avoid pain, and then I would train your wrists separately. Also you should take the wrist wraps off for any of your hammer curls. Really focus on squeezing the handles during your reps, this will better activate the muscles in your forearms.

The stuff I mostly use wraps for is my pushing and here and there for straight bar curls. Dips, pressing, skull crushers, pushdowns etc use the wraps.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use 19.5” standard dumbbell handles when I lift at home. I’ve never seen a point of seated NORMAL dumbbell Curls. But I can do seated INCLINE curls with them just fine, and they really give you a deep stetch in the biceps at the bottom.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I use 19.5” standard dumbbell handles when I lift at home. I’ve never seen a point of seated NORMAL dumbbell Curls. But I can do seated INCLINE curls with them just fine, and they really give you a deep stetch in the biceps at the bottom.
You would do seated to eliminate the swinging, or at least reduce it. Same thing with standing against a wall

Also 19.5in handles?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, my arms seem to have grown half an inch in both forearms and bicep/triceps. I just hope the size remains once I loose the fat. Anyway, I added in tricep kick backs and the way I've been doing hammer curls is, I go super heavy 4-6 reps for two sets and I stand and grip the squat rack with my off hand in order to stabilize myself and take out as much of the stabilizer muscles as possible and just focus on the movement at the elbow. Then I do one arm dumbbell curls with about 25 pounds less than what I do on hammers, but I don't hold onto the rack, just stand and put my off hand over my stomach and do 4-6 reps for 2 sets at a speed about twice as slow as I do hammer curls.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Man who are you calling a fool, fool?

I gave solid advice. BFR biceps/triceps supersets are the numero uno technology to grow arms as fast as possible. Til your body adapts.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
wrist wraps are good. One of the best things that helped my arms recently is VT grips.

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The best tricep mass and strength builder imo is over head tricep press, with dumbbells. Most of the time I’m good with doing these but last time my shoulder was doing something weird. Anyways do these heavy, and your triceps will hate you. I usually grab the 110 and do them, but I can also **** with the 120, but at that point the dumbbell is just stupid big.