Need suggestions for dumbbell, cable, and barbell supersets

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So I am looking to add supersets of opposing muscle groups into my workout routine. The problem I usually encounter at the gym when I do so is you have to constantly switch between 2 peaces of equipment so often a machine may not be available for the superset, or someone will sit down and use one of the machines you are utilizing for the superset while you are using the other machine. Add to this I don’t like the feeling that I am “hogging” two machines at once in am already crowded gym.. For this reason I am looking for superset suggestions using only dumbbells, barbells, or one cable for the various muscle groups that I can incorporate into my workout. This will eliminate all the problems I currently have with trying to do supersets in a very busy gym. Please list as many combinations as you can within reason. Thanks guys!

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As in combinations such as something like

Standing barbell curls supersetted with lying barbell skull crushers?

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Seated concentration curls (seated on bench) with decline pushups (put your feet up on bench, hands on floor)

Hammer curls with dumbbell tricep kickbacks

Cable or dumbbell curls and cable or dumbbell overhead tricep extension

Easy bar curls and skull crushers (with the easy bar)

Straight bar curls (overhand or underhand) and skull crushers or overhead press

Bent over row and floor press or overhead press

Pendlay row and floor press or overhead press

High pull and bench press (terrible for shoulder joints)

Clean and Press (this one is great because it’s one motion)

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Flyes and reverse flyes.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You should be able to do pulldowns and push downs on the same cable machine as well or push downs and curls.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Seated concentration curls (seated on bench) with decline pushups (put your feet up on bench, hands on floor)

Hammer curls with dumbbell tricep kickbacks

Cable or dumbbell curls and cable or dumbbell overhead tricep extension

Easy bar curls and skull crushers (with the easy bar)

Straight bar curls (overhand or underhand) and skull crushers or overhead press

Bent over row and floor press or overhead press

Pendlay row and floor press or overhead press

High pull and bench press (terrible for shoulder joints)

Clean and Press (this one is great because it’s one motion)
Thanks oldwitchWhat about a couple for chest and back? The only one I could come up with was dumbbell chest press and dumbbell rows, but I am sure there are many I am not thinking of.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thanks oldwitch! What about a couple for chest and back? The only one I could come up with was dumbbell chest press and dumbbell rows, but I am sure there are many I am not thinking of.

Nevermind I see you put some in there.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
For the back
Chest to bench isometric plate pull hold(as if trying to bend the plate)
Chest supported DB row
Chest supported reverse fly

Picked that up from Defranco and it’s great every time.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Chest and back:

Flat Dbbench and Db rows

Incline Db bench and chest supported Db rows(turn around on the bench and do both sides at the same time)

Pull ups and push ups

Weighted pull ups and weighted dips

Bench press and pull ups

Dead lifts and Db floor presses

Cable chest flyes and cable reverse flyes

Just a few off the top of my head to give you some ideas. Some may or may not make sense depending on your gym

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Biceps and triceps are easy.

Any type of DB/BB curls with any type of triceps exercise.

Standing overhead extensions for triceps (1 dumbbell, 2 dumbbells, etc) with any bicep exercise.

Etc. Arms are far and away the easiest to superset IMO.

For chest and back:

Incline dumbbell presses and supported incline dumbbell rows (chest on incline bench and row with your palms facing towards eachother)

Flat bench press (BB or DBs) or flat flyes and 1-arm DB Rows using the bench for support.

Flat DB flyes (or any flat chest movement) and DB pullovers perpendicular to the bench, which works chest and back on its own.

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For upper body I like to superset everything. I usually stick to a vertical pull/vertical push, so military press with dumbbells or barbell and pullups/pull downs, and then I like to pair a horizontal push with a horizontal pull, so some sort of bb/db bench and a bb/db row. Maybe it's just mental but I like something about using 2 exact opposite movements.

Then I'll do typical bi/tri supersets, and ham/quad supersets as finishers on leg day. Nothing like back and forth from the ham curl to the quad extension to pump your legs so they feel like they're going to explode! If you want to get crazy for legs try starting with 4 supersets on quad ext/ham curl, and then go squat heavy (or as heavy as you can) the pump and pre exhaustion makes squats so much more effective for your legs.

Generally this is all for hypertrophy, I wouldn't do it if I was training for strength specifically.