Need Serious Help Here...

lbashaw

Awards
Been lifting for decades.

Many cycles...most of them successful.

Everything has been fine except lately after the first exercise of 3 or 4 sets I have a drastic reduction in strength.

Being 59 has alot to do with it I am sure but it shouldnt be this bad. My nutrition is clean and solid. Seven meals a day...decent pre workout carbs ...all the standard stuff we all know.

My splits are fine I think six days rotating body parts one day off. I only do light cardio and my routine is 45 minutes of 4 to 5 exercises with three sets sometimes four.

Here is an example of the problem:
Today chest... warm up for 10 minutes and stretch, flat bench 135 ten reps, 225 ten reps, 265 8 reps rest for 2 minutes
Then I feel like I cant do a damn thing.... incline bench 135 10 reps , 7 reps, 5 reps..... pec dec dips all substandard

I used to use the BSN Xplode as a preworkout drink...sugar caffeine ...maybe chug some of that.

I dont think I have health issues...but this this reduction in strength is disturbing. Any general comments would be appreciated.

Too damn young to get this damn weak..

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hmm...How long have you been having trouble? Have you made any changes to training, nutrition, or in life lately? Is it only chest or every muscle?

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you taking any medications? Do you monitor your BP or pulse during workouts?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Several things-

You may need to look at your programming in general. 6 days a week is a lot for anyone and look to possibly change up your set/rep setup. You don't say how long you have been doing this routine, but even subtle changes in training can make a dramatic improvement.

What does your split look like? You resting enough before training the body part again?

Also- any change in diet? You say you diet is clean and solid, but is it adequate to support the amount of time you are training?

lbashaw

Awards
Thank you for all of your comments... yes, I need to look at my split, rest, nutrition.

CorpKiller

CorpKiller

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My two cents - probably a combination of all those factors. Age, nutrition, volume of work.... Having said that, I think you are outperforming most teens, early twenties lifters. You definitely don't have a problem with durability. Keep up the good work.